Whitey Bulger is caught

youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
The FBIs most wanted man was captured last night in Santa Monica after 16 years on the run. No doubt he'll spend the rest of his short life in the can. At 81 years old I doubt he can escape the FBI again.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    edited June 2011
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... rs_on_run/

Wow. Pretty shocked to see this news. First of all because he was caught in the U.S. and everyone thought he was out of the country and second because part of me felt like he was killed by the government because of all the dirt and audio tapes he had on people in the FBI, etc.

I've read a lot of books on this guy and he was incredibly intelligent, but ruthless.

Now they just have to take down his corrupt as fuck brother Billy.
    Post edited by jervin007 on
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    :o

Amazing

They got him!!!!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    literally listening to the Rachel Maddow show via podcast, her Monday show, and she's talking about him and the FBI's strategy to find him through his girlfriend through advertising on day time TV, ie. Ellen show
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    16 years on the lam
    I never thought they'd get him
    An era has ended
    Now we gotta pay the $2million reward
    and the upcoming trial, which will be insane
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    :lol: I just realized nobody outside Boston gives a shit about this.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182

Seriously. I went to the gym this morning and mentioned it to a few people, but they had no idea who he was. Maybe if people realized Jack Nicholson's Departed character was based of Whitey they would get more excited.

For those that don't know about Whitey, but enjoy organized crime stories, they should check out all the books on this topic. Black Mass, The Brothers Bulger, Brutal, etc. are all worthwhile.

The top two of the 10 most wanted taken down in a matter of months....crazy!!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    whitey-bulger.jpg
    I've been re-reading Black Mass the last week or so. This guy was unbelievable. The coverage is all over the place here in Boston, but the rest of the country doesn't care one bit.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jervin007 wrote:
    For those that don't know about Whitey, but enjoy organized crime stories, they should check out all the books on this topic. Black Mass, The Brothers Bulger, Brutal, etc. are all worthwhile.

Black Mass was a fantastic read ...

13774513.JPG

(yeah, I'm another person from Boston ... the streak continues, no one outside of Mass gives a shit :lol: )
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    whitey played a better game of hide and seek than bin laden ;)
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    I was gonna post this, not from Boston but live in the Western part of the state and I knew of him and his story
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    jimed14 wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

13774513.JPG

(yeah, I'm another person from Boston ... the streak continues, no one outside of Mass gives a shit :lol: )
    I'll keep this one in mind. Always looking for good nonfiction.

I knew who he was (generally) so I'm also a little surprised it's not a bigger story nationally. Maybe a lot of people outside Boston have forgotten about him?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,764
    jimed14 wrote:
    jervin007 wrote:

13774513.JPG

I'll keep this one in mind. Always looking for good nonfiction.

I knew who he was (generally) so I'm also a little surprised it's not a bigger story nationally. Maybe a lot of people outside Boston have forgotten about him?
    or dont give a shit!! ;)

really, until The Departed , I didnt have a clue. I should think in th ecoming months The FBI will be in the spotlight over this. Or should I say the hotseat. Least I hope so.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    mickeyrat wrote:
    or dont give a shit!! ;)

really, until The Departed , I didnt have a clue. I should think in th ecoming months The FBI will be in the spotlight over this. Or should I say the hotseat. Least I hope so.
    No objection from me for a little scrutiny of the FBI. They've had their hits and misses, that's for sure.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I am shocked that very few outside of Boston/Mass area don't know the story of this guy. HE WAS #1 ON THE FBI MOST WANTED LIST!
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I am shocked that very few outside of Boston/Mass area don't know the story of this guy. HE WAS #1 ON THE FBI MOST WANTED LIST!

And he was like the John Gotti of the Irish mob in Boston. Responsible for killing 19 people and having countless more killed on his order. Can't beleieve they catch the most wanted man in America and everyone outside of Boston is barely even talking about this.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    He wasn't on the run, he was living in the LA apartment with his galpal since the 90s!

http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2011/06/james-whitey-bulger-lived-rent-controlled-apartment-since-the-records-suggest/QB8QJamrmX5OsVaeA3LpkO/index.html

This is just the beginning of the saga. A new era in this story has begun. I can't wait to hear all the details come out.

edit: the Whitey capture isn't even in the top 50 stories on drudge report right now. amazing.

edit2: boston.com has got the mugshot! this is the best week ever!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I think this is pretty crazy. Just read a book on the Gardner Heist and it talked about him quite a bit. Also just got a book on his hitman.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    Bummer of a day for #2 most wanted guy
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    jervin007 wrote:

Seriously. I went to the gym this morning and mentioned it to a few people, but they had no idea who he was. Maybe if people realized Jack Nicholson's Departed character was based of Whitey they would get more excited.

The top two of the 10 most wanted taken down in a matter of months....crazy!!

People at my gym have nicknamed me "Whitey Bulger"...must be the tight dolphin shorts I wear!
    Whitey and galpal will appear in a Boston courtroom at 4PM. boston.com is reporting a HUGE crowd already forming, 3 hours early. The Moakley courthouse where he'll appear didn't exist 16 years ago when he went on the lam.
    This is the book I was talking about that I just got. Looking forward to reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitman-Martorano- ... 0765326396
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is the book I was talking about that I just got. Looking forward to reading it.

I haven't read this one, but my buddies say its fantastic. This guy was a lunatic.
  • FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    I work in Santa Monica on 3rd Street and heard he lived in a two bedroom apartment on 3rd Street a few blocks north of a highly populated tourist area in third street promenade. I had never heard of him either. My co-worker lived in Boston and had to tell me the whole story. :)

Sounds like he had hundred of thousands in cash and over 20 weapons in the apartment. Neighbors described him as a bitter old man.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    I am very familiar with this story. Saw they got him yesterday. It's about time. The man was able to live in hiding for so many years after destroying so many families.

I hope he lives another 20 years rotting in prison.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I haven't read this one, but my buddies say its fantastic. This guy was a lunatic.

Nice, that's good to hear. Looking foward to reading it.
    $800,000 in cash was in the apartment!
    $800,000 in cash was in the apartment!

That's kind of awesome. Dude has been on the run 16 years and still has $800 grand in cash.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'd never heard of the guy until he was arrested but this story is getting good!
    For years, the ex-con and former drug kingpin John "Red" Shea would walk the streets dreaming of ways to exact revenge on Whitey Bulger, his onetime mentor in the notorious Winter Hill Gang. Shea had gone to jail for 12 years to protect his boss, only to find out later that Bulger had been regularly selling out fellow mob men to the FBI. Shea was tormented by the question of which distant locale Bulger might be hiding in.

As it turns out, it wasn't distant at all. Those streets Shea had often walked while obsessing about Bulger’s whereabouts were actually in Santa Monica, where he and Hollywood producer Ken Kokin, a longtime resident, were hashing out a screenplay about Shea's time with Bulger. As Shea walked, he was unwittingly roaming the same neighborhood that Bulger, arrested last week on suspicion of nearly two dozen murders, had called home for 16 years.

"All that time I'd been thinking about Whitey, and it was like 'Holy ... he's been right here,'" said Shea, 45, by phone Saturday. "But I don't think I ever passed him," he added. "I would have recognized those eyes.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... -gang.html
    New developments today:

Whitey came back to Boston frequently "armed to the teeth" to "take care of unfinished business". I would be shocked if he wasn't being harbored by the FBI for the last 16 years if he was able to do that.

He also made frequent trips to Vegas to play the slots with Catherine. Anybody that's ever been to Vegas knows there are more cameras in a 1 mile radius than anywhere in the world. Nobody saw or said anything?

Finally, Galpal has hired a high-profile lawyer. Where'd you get the money for that, Catherine?
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Matt Damon to portray him in movie...
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me