Suicide at my office building today

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Sadly, a woman leapt to her death ay my office building today.

I will spare you the details, but I could see the resulting scene from my office window.

I am usually too cynical to make public service announcements on these boards, but after what happened today, I urge everyone to take care of each other. If someone seems down or despondant, give them some attention.

Also remember that hurtful words and actions can do more damage then you can imagine. If anyone feels the need to bully or torment someone, get help first so that you won't make other peoples' lives miserable.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    I am so sorry. Agreed though if you are feel you need help, please reach out. I can't imagine how one must struggle and get to that point.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm sorry to hear about the recent events at your workplace Joe :(

I hope that ALL workers (esp managers/bosses/supervisors) take your last statement to heart.

Keeping that lady and her family/friends in my thoughts and prayers.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear about the recent events at your workplace Joe :(

I hope that ALL workers (esp managers/bosses/supervisors) take your last statement to heart.

Keeping that lady and her family/friends in my thoughts and prayers.

The person wasn't a co-worker, and I have no clue who she was.

I can't imagine how difficult this will be for her loved ones.
  • Take good care of each other folks!

http://www.afsp.org/

Sorry you had to be a witness to this today. Love and light surrounding you, and the family of this woman.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    That's awful.

Take it easy, it's tough to be so near.

Poor woman :( :(
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    How horrible and sad for her and her loved ones and everyone that witnessed this. She and you are in my thoughts.

...I witnessed something similar almost 15 years ago, and I still have moments where it creeps up on me, and it feels like yesterday, and it messes me up a lot. It can be very traumatizing so listen to yourself and what you need. Take care of yourself and eachother.

RIP.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Joe, I feel awful for you.
    Thoughts go out to all that were involved and were a witness to that tragedy.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    OMG Joe, that's terrible. Where are you? Is it a big urban location? That must have been terrible to witness the aftermath.. suicide is such a lonely thing......so sad. And, of course, it should go without mention that I feel horrible for the family of the involved...(as I do for her)
  • very sad to hear this :(

My thoughts go out to you, others who witnessed it and of course this woman and her family.
    Even if you don't know someone, witnessing stuff like this realy makes you stop and think. It's like a huge slap in the face and I hope you are okay, take it easy and take care of each other.

Even though I have no idea why she did it, I just think it's one of the biggest tragedies of the world when humans, us, who rule this world, feel the only way is suicide. Drive each other to the point where we've hurt someone so much - deliberately or not, - that they can't cope. I hope people get help because it's reaching out and helping each other, strangers or not, that's going to save people. It really is a shame and I agree, we all need to be a lot more sensitive and take care of each other.
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Even though you came away with a positive message, I'm sorry you had to experience that man
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Thanks for the nice thoughts.

Everyone dies eventually, but pre-mature death is always tragic.