New Kindle

Dark EnergyDark Energy Posts: 203
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My fantastic wife got me a Kindle for a graduation present. Would love some ideas for books to download....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    That is awesome!
    I've been thinking about getting an ereader for a long time. Hope you enjoy it
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i read the "girl with a dragon tattoo" series on my new one. great ebook read. i feel like everything i read on the kindle just goes by so quick.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Pop up books work on Kindles, right?
    INNAPPROPRIATE-POP-UP-BOOK.jpg

I have always passed on reading Stephen King, but started after a friend left one at my place after visiting. Dreamcatcher is a much better book than movie!
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • I want a kindle so badly... WAAAAAH.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I want a kindle so badly... WAAAAAH.

paging David, David, please report to this thread with your CC#.

thank you.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,718
    Those of us in the book business really have to work hard to accept Kindles and such as a part of life so we come up with jokes and just keep smiling. For example-

I'm not biased against Kindles. Some of my best friends have Kindles.

Bookseller to friend with Kindle: "We're putting together a softball game but our pitcher has been having a hard time reading home plate. May we borrow your Kindle?"

Two dogs with a chewed up kindle and a chewed up DTB. One looks at the other and says "I don't know about you, but I still prefer a real book".

Two bookworms over lunch, "Have you ever tried one of those ereaders?"
    Second worm, "Yes, once, but it tasted funny"
    First worm, "Could it have been a joke book?"

How would an ebook burning work?
    And would Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" need a title rework?

:roll:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,563
    libra girl prefers the old one.
    www.myspace.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    brianlux wrote:
    Those of us in the book business really have to work hard to accept Kindles and such as a part of life so we come up with jokes and just keep smiling. For example-

I'm not biased against Kindles. Some of my best friends have Kindles.

Bookseller to friend with Kindle: "We're putting together a softball game but our pitcher has been having a hard time reading home plate. May we borrow your Kindle?"

Two dogs with a chewed up kindle and a chewed up DTB. One looks at the other and says "I don't know about you, but I still prefer a real book".

Two bookworms over lunch, "Have you ever tried one of those ereaders?"
    Second worm, "Yes, once, but it tasted funny"
    First worm, "Could it have been a joke book?"

:roll:
    i love the last one the best :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    i love the last one the best :lol:

+1 :D

Amazon.co.uk has a number of classic novels for free download such as:

Frankenstein
    Dracula
    Les Miserables
    Sherlock Holmes
    Oliver Twist
    Pride and Prejudice
    The Iliad
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    Crime and Punishment
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051V ... 57575542_7

Kindle Fire
    Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi
    $199.00 Free Super Saver Shipping Details
    Pre-order now to reserve your place in line

Our all-new Kindle Fire will be released on November 15, 2011. Orders are prioritized on a first come, first served basis.
    I miss igotid88
  • The KINDLE FIRE is basically a tablet PC, much more than a kindle. Its running a "improved" version of the Android OS.

I have a Kindle ( now called a Kindle Keyboard ) with 3G and WiFi and I absolutely love it. I was pretty snobby about wanting one ... you know - I'm a book lover, I have to have the book in my hands, etc - then I got one from my girlfriend for Christmas last year and in about 4 minutes I was completely won over. The amount of free content ( classic books, etc ) is outstanding. I'm a complete convert.

The new Kindles have touch screens, which in pretty much any format, I hate. So, I'm very happy and content with my current Kindle. I'd recommend them to everyone!
    I.Am.Mine.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Congrats, I love my Kindle. As far as suggesting books, I'm not sure what genre you are interested in, but I would suggest Water for Elephants.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    libragirl wrote:
    Congrats, I love my Kindle. As far as suggesting books, I'm not sure what genre you are interested in, but I would suggest Water for Elephants.

there she is
    www.myspace.com
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    libragirl wrote:

there she is

What's with the name?
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    igotid88 wrote:

Kindle Fire
    Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi
    $199.00 Free Super Saver Shipping Details
    Pre-order now to reserve your place in line

Our all-new Kindle Fire will be released on November 15, 2011. Orders are prioritized on a first come, first served basis.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051V ... 57575542_7
    Associates-banner-fire-300x250.jpg
    I miss igotid88
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I've been wanting one for a while now.

What I don't get about the Kindle Fire, is you're spending $200 on the thing, when for a little bit more you can have a iPad or other more functional Android tablet.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the $100 one. Afterall, I want it just for reading.
    libragirl wrote:
    libragirl wrote:

there she is

What's with the name?

never you mind.
    www.myspace.com