"American Pickers" tv show

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The "odd finds" thread inspired me to post this!

Anybody else here a fan of this show? It's on the History Channel, basically these two guys go around to people's houses and buy stuff off of 'em. Friend of mine turned me on to it and I'm addicted!

http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers

I love old stuff, so if you dig it too, definitely check it out! :D

Plus I've developed a crush on Mike :oops: lol he's just such a sweetie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    one of my favorite shows, i love seeing people's junk
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    watch it all the time. :)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hate it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,337

I think you may be watching the wrong channel. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    I am addicted to this show. Mike and Frank are such likeable guys and damn I love seeing old nostalgic stuff that fetches some major scratch!
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    I am addicted to this show. Mike and Frank are such likeable guys and damn I love seeing old nostalgic stuff that fetches some major scratch!

we like it too...i like hearing people's stories of their stuff and then watching painfully as they try to haggle!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    two thumbs up !
    pawn stars too
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    LOVE this show! Watch it all the time.

It's always interesting to hear how some people acquire half of this stuff.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337

I think you may be watching the wrong channel. ;)
    :lol:

Yay, glad to see other fans here! Can't wait for tonight's new episode. It's an antique-fest, Roadshow at 8, then this at 9 :D My sis and I check on our dad in the evenings and have been watching this with him, he loves it too :) It's thanks to him I love old crap lol
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    OMG I love this show! I call Mike "Super Sexy Mike Wolf" He's my #2 behind Eddie lol
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
    OMG I love this show! I call Mike "Super Sexy Mike Wolf" He's my #2 behind Eddie lol
    :lol: oh good I'm not the only one that digs him too 8-) heehee yum!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Love this show!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    It's awesome, and especially to see things get saved from rusting away in some yard. The Civil War episode was amazing too!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    my kids watch it, and the Pawn Stars and Storage wars. Interesting to see what stuff people have and how much its worth.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    my kids watch it, and the Pawn Stars and Storage wars. Interesting to see what stuff people have and how much its worth.

Almost forgot about storage wars! That's another great show. It's a riot to see how these people fight over storage cubes. It's quite funny.
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    :lol: oh good I'm not the only one that digs him too 8-) heehee yum!
    Yeah figures I like the guy who likes to climb around in other people's dusty junk. :lol: Oh well at least Eddie has soft hands. :) haha
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
    Jack White is gonna be on tonight....Mike and Jack in the same room? ♥ ♥ ♥ woooooooooooweeeeee!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited January 2012
    I think it's interesting to see what the inside of some of these places looks like. We've all seen these places that seem like junk yards by the road and wonder what's inside. :geek:

This show is for curious people. It lets us see what's in there! :)
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    The hubs LOVES it...and sadly I can't take it. It's so annoying - when they pick something and say it's valued at whatever...what did they ACTUALLY sell it for? That's what I want to see.

I seriously need to get a tv in my bedroom...never having control of the remote makes mamasan something something!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    justam wrote:
    I think it's interesting to see what the inside of some of these places looks like. We've all seen these places that seem like junk yards by the road and wonder what's inside. :geek:

This show is for curious people. It let's us see what's in there! :)
    Absolutely, it's amazing to see some of the treasures people have stowed away!

Mamasan sorry you have to suffer through it. I can't get enough of this show myself :)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    It's cool show, I just wonder how much of it's fake. A pretty high percentage I would think. In this day and age people are just alot more aware of the value of stuff and I don't see so many people letting stuff go for the prices they do.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    DewieCox wrote:
    It's cool show, I just wonder how much of it's fake. A pretty high percentage I would think. In this day and age people are just alot more aware of the value of stuff and I don't see so many people letting stuff go for the prices they do.

Im sure a vast majority of it is real...it's just the way it's set up that's fake. Like when they randomly knock on someone's door and the family answers but there's already a camerman inside their house filming from behind them. I don't know about anyone else but I would notice a camerman in my house. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Im sure a vast majority of it is real...it's just the way it's set up that's fake. Like when they randomly knock on someone's door and the family answers but there's already a camerman inside their house filming from behind them. I don't know about anyone else but I would notice a camerman in my house. :lol:

I dunno...After reading how a ton of stuff is completely stage on Pawn Stars(which sort of set the stage for Pickers) I have my doubts.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    DewieCox wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

I dunno...After reading how a ton of stuff is completely stage on Pawn Stars(which sort of set the stage for Pickers) I have my doubts.

I don't think so. I actually read two different interviews ( :geek: :geek: :geek: ) with Mike Wolfe and he has been doing this a very long time and seems very sincere. A lot of the people on this show have SO MUCH stuff that it really doesn't matter. Most of them comment how it's overbearing or they're getting older and need to get rid of it. They are aware that Mike and Frank are pickers and are looking to make a buck. Most of them did the same thing- either getting the stuff for free or cheap. Plus it's quick cash and who in BFE wants to go to the hassle of finding a real auction or online auction without knowing for certain they'll get a specific dollar amount? But as DS said, some of those are definitely staged set-ups. They have to be. I'm sure that they have to get the okay to film and go into a bar/restaurant/house without the cameras first and then set up a scene once they find something and find out it's okay. Lets just say they're not good actors :lol:

Just my thoughts...not saying they're right. :):)
    I agree the whole intro to their homes are set-up, you can't just show up at someone's house and expect to be a) allowed to film, and b) they'd be ready on the spot to film. A lot of the people that they come across are older folks, who don't have the ease of using Ebay or access to auctions. Even the younger people tend to be dealing with the estate of a loved one, so they are just overwhelmed in general I'm sure.

It all seems sincere to me, I'm a big fan of old crap so it is entertaining :)
    I dunno, I'm a resident of capitol city of BFE(BFCairo?) and while there's a fair share of older folks that don't even know what the internet is, there's still a good portion that have the internet and are very aware of ebay. My 75 year old grandmas sells cookie jars on ebay when she gets overrun, which is pretty often. She'd whip these fellas' asses if they showed up and offered the kinda insulting prices that these guys offer. I understand these guys have to make a buck on the stuff, I'm just making a statement on the likelihood of the deals they get.

Even without the internet most people have the general knowledge that old stuff is worth big money, even when it sometimes isn't. Alot of the people they go check out are junkers still junking or getting out of the game. Seems too convenient that they can get some of that stuff sometimes.

I have no idea if it's fake, I just know that Pawn Stars has a huge mess of fake shit on there and it's hugely popular so I'm assuming History would go out of their way to make sure there was as much interesting cool stuff pop up on this show.
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,028
    I was watching this the other day and the guy they were picking from said he was a roadie for pearl jam, hank williams, johnny cash. Didn't see any PJ stuff though.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I love this show. The guys seem like the nicest, friendliest, most curious and interested people ever. I really want to be friends with them, haha. And i think I even have a crush on Mike, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata