meeting pearl jam fans in unexpected places....

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
mr. dream and i were just out at our fave mexican place. we've been going there close to 20 years, and they recently got a crop of new waiters. hubby was wearing his pearl jam/spectrum tshirt that i got him when i went down for the last 2 shows there. while we were waiting for a table, one of the waiters commented, 'nice shirt!'.... he ended up being our waiter and we talked a bit about it. he's from mexico and saw them there in 2004. i told him how we were heading to canada in september to see them, and he was enthralled. i also told him about 10c as he lamented how tix always sell out immediately, etc. he also mentioned how he saw rage in mexico as well....great convo, and totally unexpected.

anyone run into fellow pj diehard when they least expect it?
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Yeah my bf and I ran into one this week at the shop. My bf was wearing an avocado shirt, the owner said "hey nice shirt" which led to finding out he is a 10c member, massive fan, wife was pregnant at the last two tours they went to blah blah blah. She was standing next to him kinda rolling her eyes at us. :lol: We then said we had Chris Cornell solo tickets for October and he was like "Wtf? :o CC is coming!?!" He got straight on the internet and bought two tickets and said he's so fucking glad my bf wore his PJ shirt that day because otherwise he would have missed out on decent CC tix. Nice guy!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972
    Theres a woman who shops at the store I work at who wears a 2010 tour hoodie. Not really had the time to speak with her though.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    nice story zig!
    funny, our waiter mentioned soundgarden as well. it's amazing the convo that can begin just by the prompt of a tshirt. :)

mickey....get chattin'! ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    Woman walks into my gym today with a stickman t-shirt on, so I said "Nice Pearl Jam shirt". She emphatically thanked me, but no conversation.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    I went to the store the other day wearing my Backspacer T-shirt, and this guy stares at me as I walked in and he was collecting carts.. I thought.. "that was odd." So my dad teases me about the guy the whole way through the store.. Then we get to the check-out line, and that same guy is our bag-person. He has this huge smile on his face and he's just happy as hell that we're in his line.. so my Dad embarassing guy that he is, asks him.. " You like my Daughter don't you?" He looked a little taken aback and then stammered, um no I just LOVE Pearl Jam, and I noticed her shirt.." So my dad ended up being the one embarassed, and while the guy bagged our groceries, we talked PJ and 10c. Now here's the funny part.. my dad always pokes fun that all I ever wear is PJ shirts, and is CONVINCED that I'm making up or exaggerating the amount of PJ fans in the world, well that was until the day before yesterday.. When it turned out the guy walked us out to the car and loaded the groceries for us and totally kept up PJ conversation, I think my dad finally got it..It was pretty funny. I think it's totallysad that 20 years ago I moved out listening to PJ and now that I'm having to live with my Parents again, STILL listening to PJ and it took this for my dad to lay off. He He Oh those of little faith!!!
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I've been wearing my PJ shirts a lot lately, usually do when I'm depressed. It's cool when you're wearing a a shirt with just a symbol or pic that hardly says PJ anywhere on it, and some says "great album" or band. The No Code shirt gets people going most.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    edited June 2011
    Wouldn't say met, but a few months ago when my wife had our second baby I was leaving the hospital one night, walking to the car when I see this couple walking towards me, he had a white u.s tour shirt on from one of the tours, can't remember which, and she had the black surfboard type logo shirt on. I looked at his shirt looked shirt looked at hers, looked back at him and he kinda just smiled as if he knew I knew they both had pj shirts on.

Then few weeks ago a saw a dude at a food court at the local shops here wearing a "I'm analog" shirt. I wanted to go talk to him just to say "you left the house in that thing?"

Kinda rare to see people wearing pearl jam shirts in Brisbane unless you are at a pearl jam concert.
    Post edited by threefish10 on
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    At Coles supermarket down at the local plaza.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,688
    Last Sept. I was in Washington for a convention and I had my shirt on from the Buffalo showed we went to. The valet parking guy that took our car says "Nice shirt" as I was standing there, Brief conversation later, he was a huge fan of PJ and was jealous that we saw them in Buffalo.
    I just remember turning to the wife as we entered the hotel and said " See we are everywhere" :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • mr. dream and i were just out at our fave mexican place. we've been going there close to 20 years, and they recently got a crop of new waiters. hubby was wearing his pearl jam/spectrum tshirt that i got him when i went down for the last 2 shows there. while we were waiting for a table, one of the waiters commented, 'nice shirt!'.... he ended up being our waiter and we talked a bit about it. he's from mexico and saw them there in 2004. i told him how we were heading to canada in september to see them, and he was enthralled. i also told him about 10c as he lamented how tix always sell out immediately, etc. he also mentioned how he saw rage in mexico as well....great convo, and totally unexpected.

anyone run into fellow pj diehard when they least expect it?

I'm guessing he got a nice tip that night.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    London Heathrow 3pm ...i give my passport for check it...the security guys says:
    - Thank you Sir,and Nice shirt..
    - oh,thank you..you like the band?
    -yes,i check yesterday the whole band and crew
    -oh,,thats great
    -ill finnish work at 7pm and 2 hours later i have a flight to Dublin..im going to see the show
    -me too,Dublin is my final destination.
    -cool,meet you at the show
    -rock on :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Funny, because last night when I was at work, this young kid and his mom come in (he was like, maybe 11)--I had on a PJ shirt with stickman on the front of it. He saw me and he announces in this loud voice "hey, I think I just found my new best friend for life". I didn't know what he was talking about; it must have shown on my face. He goes 'Pearl Jam, one of the best bands EVER--didn't you LOVE the 90's?'!!! I was like, yeah, I did (laughing), 'but they still make music'. He goes 'yeah, I know, but it wasn't like the 90's--now music is all 'baby baby baby ohh' (imitating Justin Bieber)'. It was hilarious!!! His mom tells him 'you weren't even born in the 90's'. He started naming all these PJ songs he said 'I could tell you my favorites but we would be here for 5 hours'. It was a trip to say the least. :lol: