What guitar should i get?

kjw818kjw818 Posts: 96
edited June 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I feel the Strat is too common. I love the Tele and Les Paul.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Strat is so common because it's a great guitar.

Then again, the Tele and Les Paul are pretty common.

If you want a unique guitar, there are plenty out there.

..The quest for a good guitar for you depends on many factors, like what kind of music you would like to play on that guitar; what kind of amp and effects you are playing through; how big and heavy you like the guitar to be; what players' tone to you want to emulate; how versatile you want the guitar to be; and, of course, budget. And even once you've factored in all of these questions, picking a guitar often means playing a bunch of them at as many shops as you can, and then finding the one that calls out to you. Like that Harry Potter wand shit, the right guitar picks you.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    if you are willing to get a Tele knock-off, I picked up one of these Xavier guitars a few months ago and it is unreal for the money... for the price you can get a Les Paul and one of these...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • kjw818kjw818 Posts: 96
    My two favorite bands are PJ and the Black Keys. Auerbach uses a tele and thats what i've been leaning towards.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    kjw818 wrote:
    My two favorite bands are PJ and the Black Keys. Auerbach uses a tele and thats what i've been leaning towards.

Auerbach uses all kinds of guitars. don't buy into what your favorite bands/guitarists are using....go try them out for yourself. that's the only way to know what will feel/sound right to you. good luck in your search!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • kjw818 wrote:

Back in the old days when Dan used that tele with the leather pick guard, that guitar had stacked style humbuckers in it.

I have seen him recently with another tele that appeared to be stock. It also appeared to be vintage.

You should take a trip to a gutiar store. If you have a friend that already plays, take him along with you. I know it was pretty intimidating my first time to plug in not knowing what I was doing in front of people.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Play what YOU love, not what one of your favourite bands play.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • kjw818 wrote:

I think you may end up finding the "sound" of a Tele is a bit limited in the context of Rock n Roll, but hey man. I've always been dying to get one myself.

You will probably get way more use \ tones out of a Strat, but like other said, go to a store, start playing guitars through an amp that you feel comfortable you understand (or preferably, one that you, yourself, have) and listen to the tones you get out of it. move all the knobs around. switch pick up positions, roll back the tone knob, all that jazz.

any guitar (within reason, ie. not a Johnson), is a good guitar, imho.
    lol.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • ps. - one other piece of good advice.
    LISTEN TO MCCREADY IS GOD.

that fool helped me out for years running. lol.
    :D

pps -- except when he starts talking about harry potter shit.
    lol.
    Thamks for all the advice. :D
    edited June 2011
    Whats a good, cheaper substitute for Fender when buying a strat.
    Post edited by kjw818 on
  • kjw818 wrote:
    Whats a good, cheaper substitute for Gibson when buying a strat.

if your asking what it reads like you are asking,
    the question you have posed is akin to the following:

"Whats a good decent substitute for a dog when buying a cat?"

They are just two different animals.

What type of Gibson are you referring to specifically? A Les Paul?
    You're going to have to defer to MIG or someone with way more knowledge here,
    but i'm not sure you are going to find a good answer.

Who knows though.