VPD says anarchists/criminals cause of riots; not fans

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/arti ... r-riot-vpd

...duh?

this people are clowns.

its the same type (or maybe even the same groups) that ruined legitimate protests at the g20, and tried to stir shit up at the olympics (and ruin legitimate protests there as well).

it was awesome having to explain to the students today (who are from Liberia, Somalia, and Afghanistan by the way) why these fools were causing so much stupidity and violence.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I'm sure they were responsible for some of it, and probably starting it, but I'm guessing that someone so opposed to government and capitalism isn't going to drop $200 on an Alex Burrows jersey. A lot of drunken Canucks fans got in on the act too.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm sure they were responsible for some of it, and probably starting it, but I'm guessing that someone so opposed to government and capitalism isn't going to drop $200 on an Alex Burrows jersey. A lot of drunken Canucks fans got in on the act too.
    This. Isn't having a Jersey kind of saying you're a fan.

Furthermore, aren't anarchists politically motivated, there was nothing political here... Bunch of fucking idiots.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    Aren't they one in the same anyhow?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Of course the Vancouver rioters were hockey fans

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/06/ ... ckey-fans/
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Maybe it's not a good idea to put giant video screens near the arena where a 100000 people will gather. To me it seems like it could lead to problem...and it did. My cousin ho is a retired police officer said it only takes a few start the problem then hundreds follow...which sounds like what happened here.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Maybe it's not a good idea to put giant video screens near the arena where a 100000 people will gather. To me it seems like it could lead to problem...and it did. My cousin ho is a retired police officer said it only takes a few start the problem then hundreds follow...which sounds like what happened here.

Yeah, a mob mentality definitely set in. Some of those people probably wouldn't have done some of the stuff they did if it hadn't become "the thing to do". I keep hearing that is was "a few bad apples", and maybe a few bad apples did start it, but it spread through the crowd, and those individuals are still responsible for their actions. Had it been just a few people the crowd and the police would have been able to get control of the situation. Just the fact that there were riots in '94, and it had been so hyped in the media during the series, meant that the idea of a riot had been firmly planted. And you can tell that many of those people were trying to be a part of history. If they weren't going to be able to tell their grandkids they were there for the Stanley Cup Victory of '11, they were going to tell them of the riots of '11.

There is a lot of finger pointing going on. People of Vancouver are saying it was all people who came from outside the city (and many of them may have been) because they're trying to preserve the city's reputation, Canucks fans are saying they weren't "real Canucks fans" because they're trying to preserve the reputation of the team and its fans. I can see where that comes from. I've been a Packers fan my whole life, and I've gone to many games up there and here in Dallas. And while I have never seen any outbreak of violence, nor do I want to believe the Cheeseheads would do it, they are just as capable of it as any mob of people.

It could have happened anywhere. Large crowds are tricky things, and normally good people can do some dumb things. It doesn't change my opinion of Vancouver/Canucks fans, but I think it's important not to try and point the finger elsewhere either. They just need to get a better handle on things the next time they make it to the Cup Finals. Especially now that riots are becoming a trend. lukin2006 is right, next time they shouldn't invite people to form a mob in downtown to watch the game. That was just asking from trouble. Even a group of mild-mannered people can turn into a wild mob in the right conditions.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    from the pix and videos ... it looks like it was mostly youth who thought it was cool to cause shit ... VPD should have been better prepared ...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    polaris_x wrote:
    from the pix and videos ... it looks like it was mostly youth who thought it was cool to cause shit ... VPD should have been better prepared ...

that's what scares the fuck out of me for the future of mankind and society, no lie, these young people think it's cool to destroy property and cause mayhem and injury, and then have the audicity to post their heroics online.

scares the fuck out of me
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    This. Isn't having a Jersey kind of saying you're a fan.

Furthermore, aren't anarchists politically motivated, there was nothing political here... Bunch of fucking idiots.
    [/quote]
    hahaha, no, a jersey - esp. in this city - does not denote being a true fan
    and no, the group i'm talking about literally travels with the sole purpose of causing mayhem - like i said its the same types who did it at the olympics and at the g20

but yes, a lot of idiots followed suit.
    a lot of people just went home too. the entire city wasn't a blaze, it was like 2 intersections and eventually some stores when idiots started moving up georgia. i wonder who else on the board was there wednesday night... maybe i'm going crazy but what literally transpired while i was down there was a small area of the city filled with dbag hooligans and idiot people watching and filming ... and the rest of the city was quiet and peacefull. it was easy to avoid - we went 3 or 4 blocks down and sat near the water and ate a hot dog. not saying in the areas it happened it wasnt bad, it was - and it was disgusting (especially embarrassing because they were people my age for the most part)... but its a little frustrating to watch the entire world eat up what the media says about people here and our city... even though it's typical of any situation.

People don't want to hear that a couple hundred idiots smashed things and lit things on fire in a 3 block radius while thousands of kids watched while the rest of the city went on as usual, they want to hear that every street in Vancouver burned because a team lost the cup and their 'fans' created total mayhem through the night.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Yeah right.

There were 90,000 anarchists in Vancouver. They all used twitter to meet there.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Danimal wrote:
    Yeah right.

and there were 90,000 people smashing windows?
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    haffajappa wrote:
    Danimal wrote:
    Yeah right.

and there were 90,000 people smashing windows?

And lighting fires.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

polaris_x wrote:

that's what scares the fuck out of me for the future of mankind and society, no lie, these young people think it's cool to destroy property and cause mayhem and injury, and then have the audicity to post their heroics online.

we're definitely getting stupider ... :(
    haffajappa wrote:
    People don't want to hear that a couple hundred idiots smashed things and lit things on fire in a 3 block radius while thousands of kids watched while the rest of the city went on as usual, they want to hear that every street in Vancouver burned because a team lost the cup and their 'fans' created total mayhem through the night.

thing is tho ... the media will always sensationalize ... the main problem is that there was media there specifically in case of rioting and unfortunately aspects of the city delivered ... i think most residents have done a great job in cleaning the shit up but the reality is tho ... that if it was a small group of people - it would have been managed ... the VPD was completely not prepared and some of that was the volume of agitators ...
  • polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

we're definitely getting stupider ... :(

that's the great thing about technology and social media. even more dumbasses will go to prison.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014