Familiar with Milwaukee Area?

PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm not but I'll be there in September like some of you. Anyway, if you live in the area or know a lot about it, I'm trying to find some romantic places to visit the Friday before the festival. If anyone can recommend some hot spots, it's be appreciated. It doesn't matter if it's indoors or out. Peace!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    PearlJam24 wrote:
    I'm not but I'll be there in September like some of you. Anyway, if you live in the area or know a lot about it, I'm trying to find some romantic places to visit the Friday before the festival. If anyone can recommend some hot spots, it's be appreciated. It doesn't matter if it's indoors or out. Peace!
    hmmm, romance finds it way anywhere depending on the couple romancing ;)

I have fond memories of being romanced in Milwaukee

Pieces of Eight was a beautiful and medium pricey restaurant set on Lake Michigan.
    I have read it changed names and even owners perhaps, now the Harbor House.
    It was always romantic for us, the views wonderful with a nautical theme
    and then the walks by the lakefront, whatever the weather.

A long drive by the lake to the Witches House was fun for young lovers
    and a stop by Doctors Park to lay on the beach.
    The Witches House is an artists home and it is one scary piece of art with a story behind it.
    It is now on the Register of Historic Places, it is also on the lake.
    7328 N. Beach Road, Fox Point, WI 53217

Mama Mias Pizza used to be romantic but they have made it god awful bright now.
    The location on Silver Spring though has a romantic little bar tucked in the back,
    great Chianti, best garlic bread in the world, awesome thin crust pizza too
    and friendly people with Wisconsin accents, did I mention the chianti? 8-)

The Milwaukee County Zoo is great and has a romantic little steam train to ride through the grounds
    if that is still available. Tiny cars to get cozy in with a view of the peacocks :D

The Mitchell Parks Domes are lovely. In my travels I have never found anything like them.
    Three domes, Desert, Tropical and seasonal that changes every few months.
    It closes by 4:30 unless you sneek in ;);)
    Visiting is a regular for me when I go home.
    The seasonal smells beautiful and is very colorful, the tropical has little birds a waterfall and pond, and the desert is cool and rocky with enormous cacti.
    The gift shop is fun too!
    http://county.milwaukee.gov/MitchellPar ... a10116.htm

Friday nights are fish fry in Milwaukee
    The Bluemound Inn owned by the famous family has great food and my favorite thing in Milwaukee
    sunken bars where you sit in comfy oversized chairs not bar stools. Now that is romantic!
    http://www.balistreris.com/index.php?docid=3

Enjoy! Isn't Love wonderful?! :D
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Anything down on the lake is romantic. The domes are amazing. Depends on what kind of food you like. But like Pandora said...it's fish fry friday here. But balistreri's is AMAZING!!! Awesome food!

if you know specifically what you are looking for, let me know...I can help out. :)
  • PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
    Thank you two for the information you provided. The domes might have to be added to the itenerary before dinner. We'll eat just about any ethnic type of food but we can always find something we love at an Italian restaurant. I kind of want to take her to an upscale Italian place. Afterwards maybe take a stroll down by the lake. Where would be a good place to walk along the lake in the evening? Also, is it safe to be out there after dark? If I'm not in a familiar place, I'm not too comfortable being out in a public place, like the lake, at night. Too many crazies out there but maybe they should be scared of me :twisted: lol just kidding. Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Domes are a great idea. You'll love them.

Will look into upscale Italian for you. It's very safe to be down on the lake. The cops here partrol the lake front pretty much all night. I was just down there the other night at like 9ish and the cops were still in full force patrolling (walking, dogs, squad cars) The lakefront was still very much active at that time as well.
    I personally like any part of the lakefront. I take my boys down and we walk and run the entire way. There are paths along the way you can take. You can get a great view of the callatrava (probably killing the spelling there) and the city skyline depending on where you go. I'm just partial to be on the lakefront all the time though. :)
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Domes are a great idea. You'll love them.

Will look into upscale Italian for you. It's very safe to be down on the lake. The cops here partrol the lake front pretty much all night. I was just down there the other night at like 9ish and the cops were still in full force patrolling (walking, dogs, squad cars) The lakefront was still very much active at that time as well.
    I personally like any part of the lakefront. I take my boys down and we walk and run the entire way. There are paths along the way you can take. You can get a great view of the callatrava (probably killing the spelling there) and the city skyline depending on where you go. I'm just partial to be on the lakefront all the time though. :)

How do I get to the lakefront and I'm guess there are places to park along the street or a parking lot?
    The lake was what I missed the most when we moved South 20 years ago.
    I took it for granted. It was a destination... lets take a drive.... here we don't have that.
    As a teen I rode the city bus all the way from the burbs,
    through downtown to the lake, fed the ducks in the little lagoon, it was fun.

I wanted to mention Lake Drive north of Bradford Beach.
    There are beautiful old mansions... take your breath away tudors.
    After dark you can see them all lite up but anytime is fun.
    A drive north to Atwater Park/ Beach, maybe 15 minutes on Lake Drive is not to be missed.
    There is a panorama lookout there.... choose E.... http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clien ... d=0CAQQtgM

This my old stomping grounds as I worked at The Shorewood Florist just blocks away as a girl...
    took my lunches on the grass there.

I love my home of 35 years... it will always be home to me.

You are very welcome and you can tell I really like talking about Wisconsin :lol:

I am so proud PJ20 is there ... my heart will be with you all.

Enjoy! :D
    http://bradfordbeachjam.com/welcome.html

This the main beach and yes a parking lot is there

Last time we took a drive we were in bumper to bumper traffic so it can get busy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugex ... CBoQnwIwAA
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Actually it's pronounced Mee-lee-wah-kay, it's Algonquin...meaning "the good land".
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Maxie's Southern Comfort - cannot recommend enough (I proposed at the other Maxies in Ithaca and have been to the MKE thrice and it's nice)

Ryan Braun's Bistro - Good food, good vibe, and I've heard this is where the Brew Crew goes after wins...if anyone but me cares.
    pandora wrote:
    http://bradfordbeachjam.com/welcome.html

This the main beach and yes a parking lot is there

Last time we took a drive we were in bumper to bumper traffic so it can get busy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugex ... CBoQnwIwAA

Thank you for the links! I hadn't the slightest idea which part of the lake to go to...now I do! :D
    RW81233 wrote:
    Maxie's Southern Comfort - cannot recommend enough (I proposed at the other Maxies in Ithaca and have been to the MKE thrice and it's nice)

As much as I love southern comfort foods, I've lived in Louisiana most of my life and when I visit states that try to imitate Louisiana cuisine, it's not quite the same. On the other hand, Ryan Braun's looks good! Thanks for the info.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    bark twice.
    www.myspace.com
    Oh... go to The Safehouse if you get time ... Milwaukee spy headquarters ;);)

great fun you'll need the password though to get in :lol:

entrance is hidden in a dark alley downtown

bar food cool cocktails and spy...age

http://www.safe-house.com/

the booths behind curtains promise romance 8-)