Options

Brother is just awesome!

Fernando AliveFernando Alive Posts: 14
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I just love this song, wonder why they dont play it live, with lyrics of course. They just played once in 1991. Wish that they play it in this new tour, it´d be a big surprise. Do you think there is a chance? Doubt it...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    No chance of it being played with the lyrics at least. That song has caused a lot of tension in the band at times.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    MattyJoe wrote:
    No chance of it being played with the lyrics at least. That song has caused a lot of tension in the band at times.

how has the song caused tension?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I don't remember exactly but I think Stone hates the song in general, Ed hates just the lyrics, but Jeff likes the song. Something like that. It caused some heated arguments during the Lost Dogs project and it's the reason the version on there doesn't have lyrics.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    I didn't even know there was a version with lyrics. Where can I find it?
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    man this song is great with lyrics.....just play it with lyrics :)
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Just sent a PM to SVRDhand13. If anyone else needs it, PM me.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I don't remember exactly but I think Stone hates the song in general, Ed hates just the lyrics, but Jeff likes the song. Something like that. It caused some heated arguments during the Lost Dogs project and it's the reason the version on there doesn't have lyrics.

Well, Stone could change his mind, Eddie could make new lyrics and everybody should listen Jeff. This song rocks. Period. That is it.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    MattyJoe wrote:

Oh i remember now. It was in the lost dogs liner notes... I think they were referring to an argument way back when. I highly doubt they would still argue about the guitar riff after 17 or so years. Unfortunately i highly doubt they even care at all to play it in the first place.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    Girl is better
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Oh i remember now. It was in the lost dogs liner notes... I think they were referring to an argument way back when. I highly doubt they would still argue about the guitar riff after 17 or so years. Unfortunately i highly doubt they even care at all to play it in the first place.

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure the argument was around the same time as Lost Dogs (at least AN argument, maybe not THE argument).
    -Reagan
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    If I recall the Lost Dogs liner notes, someone, I think Jeff, really liked it, but Stone didn't [?] and one of them joked about how it made them 'want to quit the band,' or something to that extent.

On that point, I love Brother with lyrics.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Brother w/ lyrics is one of the great lost PJ songs.. just like (Just A) Girl. not lost to us but to the band since they don't play it anymore.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    One of my favorite PJ songs. I think the song shows off the bands [early?] 'sound,' although I know many don't agree with that.

Sweet solos by Mike, nice jamming and drumming, classic Eddie singing, but than slow YLB-ish solos from Mike, and soft singing from Eddie too.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    If I recall the Lost Dogs liner notes, someone, I think Jeff, really liked it, but Stone didn't [?] and one of them joked about how it made them 'want to quit the band,' or something to that extent.

On that point, I love Brother with lyrics.

As I remember it, Stone came up with the riff, Jeff LOVED it, then Stone promptly announced he didn't care about it anymore, and no matter what Jeff said, Stone said he just wasn't into it, and Jeff got so pissed off, for real, he wanted to leave the band (his words, he also said he was such a baby about it then, GOD, he's adorable) anyway, Jeff was so pissed off he went out in back of the studio where there was a 7 foot hoop and dunked until his wrists were black and blue. I always got a vibe off it that Stone was busting Jeff's chops and it got out of hand. Then Mike said when Lost Dogs was released, I think, that when it came up for inclusion on the CD, that there was still a little tension about it. I don't blame Jeff one bit -- that song needs a proper melody line and vocal, I was listening to it the other day with the vocal, and I said to myself, a killer song like this turned into a download oddity, because, I think, Eddie didn't want to get in between the two of them. Of all things to fight about...
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    I can't understand why Stone doesn't like it. The feud really shows how stubbornly opinionated he is. Always a good thing, but sometimes a bad thing.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I can't understand why Stone doesn't like it. The feud really shows how stubbornly opinionated he is. Always a good thing, but sometimes a bad thing.

I can't understand it either, that's why I think it was a ball bust that got out of hand and touched off other issues. Even though Jeff is older, it always seemed like Stone was the big brother of the two, if you know what I mean, and Stone knows when he's nailed a riff, I really think he started off trying to bust Jeff, and the violence of Jeff's reaction touched off other things...Mike described it as typical Jeff and Stone, and this was a while ago, while they were still working through things. My argument is that, at this stage of the game, they both should be able to revisit this and give it what it deserves, they've both been through A LOT since then.
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    MattyJoe wrote:
    Just sent a PM to SVRDhand13. If anyone else needs it, PM me.

Thanks Matt. This song is awesome!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Fuck lyrics, Mike's/Stone's playing is perfect, matt could just play the drums, who needs bass?
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    best Pearl Jam song EVER! "Black clouds flow through grey steel skies, and the birds don't even whisper-er-er"...

In a perfect world Pearl Jam would be in their 5th song of a set, let's say Wishlist (...not even close to my fave but this would help the story), and Eddie would finish it with I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish, Jeff and Stone could get along, and then they would go back to back and rip into Brother...damn back to reality.