iPhone bans itself

shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    interesting....

on one hand i like the idea of stopping people from holding up phones during a concert, but at the same time, i'm not a big fan of "the man" trying to control my personal belongings.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I'm not an Apple hater, but this is asinine. Someone buys a phone and they can't even use it to video what they want? I'd understand if Youtube would block the uploading or whatever, but the phone is mine, and I should be able to take pictures or video of what I want.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    what about sporting events??!!
    this is ridiculous.
    not like i take vid/pics at concerts (really its useless even on a phone as advanced as the iphone) but its a bit much. what if i wanna take a pic of friends in the lobby? so stupid.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    I'm not an Apple hater, but this is asinine. Someone buys a phone and they can't even use it to video what they want? I'd understand if Youtube would block the uploading or whatever, but the phone is mine, and I should be able to take pictures or video of what I want.

Yeah, this is ridiculous. I'm not one to hold up my phone at shows to record songs, but I am definitely one to watch these recordings on youtube for hours on end!
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Yeah, this is ridiculous. I'm not one to hold up my phone at shows to record songs, but I am definitely one to watch these recordings on youtube for hours on end!

Personally I'm the type of person who gets annoyed when I look up a song on YouTube and have to weed through dozens of crappy cell phone videos to find what I'm looking for. And I hate being at a concert (or any event for that matter) and seeing a sea of cell phone screens in front of me. I know people don't like the idea of their phone being controlled like that, but it is better than getting phones confiscated, or being searched for phones at the gate. If you're not trying to record the show, then this won't have any effect on you. Just because your phone has the ability to record stuff, doesn't mean you have the right to record whatever you want.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    this is not cool...you should be able to use your phone for whatever purpose it was intended for...if there are video capabilities, you should be able to use it.

ALTHOUGH I do find it annoying when someone who clearly does not know how video recording works, is shooting. I was at a concert, and a gal was right in front of me, up against the barricade. She was recording, holding the phone in the air, right in front of my face and bouncing around...ummm...your video is gonna come out all blurry and shitty, and so will the sound, because every 2 seconds you scream 'wooooo!'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    this is not cool...you should be able to use your phone for whatever purpose it was intended for...if there are video capabilities, you should be able to use it.

A camcorder is intended to take video, but they were long banned from concerts by many acts for years, and movie theaters too. Just because you can tape something, doesn't give you the right to. Technically your phone CAN record video of Fort Knox, but that doesn't mean you'll be allowed to. If promoters or bands don't want people bootlegging their shows, then this seems like the least invasive way of doing it. They don't have to confiscate phones, or try to prohibit phones from shows. All that's happening is an infrared signal is prohibiting you from recording what's happening on the stage, and in those instances it is against the rules to record those acts. If you can't follow the rules, don't get mad when they take that choice out of your hands.
    RKCNDY wrote:

A camcorder is intended to take video, but they were long banned from concerts by many acts for years, and movie theaters too. Just because you can tape something, doesn't give you the right to. Technically your phone CAN record video of Fort Knox, but that doesn't mean you'll be allowed to. If promoters or bands don't want people bootlegging their shows, then this seems like the least invasive way of doing it. They don't have to confiscate phones, or try to prohibit phones from shows. All that's happening is an infrared signal is prohibiting you from recording what's happening on the stage, and in those instances it is against the rules to record those acts. If you can't follow the rules, don't get mad when they take that choice out of your hands.

so then if you're not supposed to use your cell phone on airplanes, why don't they put cell phone jammers on planes? People still leave their phones on...same thing.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

so then if you're not supposed to use your cell phone on airplanes, why don't they put cell phone jammers on planes? People still leave their phones on...same thing.

Not the same thing at all. Because it's a difference in communications (possibly emergency) and in this case, taking crappy video of a concert. Just because they don't jam cell phones on planes doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to do this, even though both deal with phones, they are pretty much unrelated. If they disabled your phone entirely at a concert, I would have a problem, but nobody NEEDS to record a concert on their phone.

Not the same thing at all. Because it's a difference in communications (possibly emergency) and in this case, taking crappy video of a concert. Just because they don't jam cell phones on planes doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to do this, even though both deal with phones, they are pretty much unrelated. If they disabled your phone entirely at a concert, I would have a problem, but nobody NEEDS to record a concert on their phone.

why such a hater satan? pretty much everybody else said the same thing I did, but you gotta hate on me? :roll:

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    moral of the story....get an android..... :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I wasn't hating on you, I replied to the earlier comments and gave my two cents there also. I replied to you, you replied back. I thought we were just having a discussion, I didn't think there was any hate going on. Sorry if I came across that way.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The 81 wrote:
    moral of the story....get an android..... :P
    :lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?