Graffiti for or against

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
For. Gives me something cool to look at when on the train.
They clean it up then the artists spray again, it is a losing battle.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    Against, especially when it's the giant Latin king crown that showed up on the front of my brick house last summer. And I live in a really nice neighborhood too.
  • i think some street art and graffiti can be really amazing, and really good for everyone to look at. when it's not on people's houses.
    but the stuff that's pointless, like people's names and what year it is and swear words for no reason, that's stupid.
  • Physical - for
    any kind that defaces property - against.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited June 2011
    Against, especially when it's the giant Latin king crown that showed up on the front of my brick house last summer. And I live in a really nice neighborhood too.

some put "dead bird" with a birds head with an X for the eye on a blockbuster store here a couple weeks back.

i'd guess it was gang related. gangs suck

found this on urban dictionary

" A central Valley mock "hardcore gang" with no purpose, since thier belief systems follows something similar to; "No tolerance for no tolerance." No rival gang (yet), basically a bunch of retards who started it in highschool, and don't realize the whole idiocy of it all.
    They have a myspace. They have a freeweb. They are utterly pathetic.
    Each member is named after an actual bird, and they may do KeWl little things to it, such as "hawx" *Gag*"

if true, it's sort of :lol:
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Some dumb prick tagged on our gate many years ago.
    Tagging, bombing, throw ups on peoples property and cars is not on.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    FOR, of course!

I'm also for people dumping the McDonalds trash out their car windows, people letting their dogs shit all over the neighborhood, and the accumulation of old sofas on highway underpasses.
    ;)
    Jason P wrote:
    people letting their dogs shit all over the neighborhood

fuckers. :lol: i throw it into the street when if find it in my yard.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    for...
    i enjoy the art
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don’t think I could possibly be more AGAINST anything like graffiti. I fucking hate it. Especially on bridges and underpasses, the things like CHILE or MEXICO in big block letters, or what ever. If you love your country so GD much, go back to it and deface property there, leave ours alone.

oh man this really hits a nerve with me.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    When done right, street art can be both beautiful and powerful.

Watch ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAy1zBtTbw
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    im all for ART grafitti but not really for tagging, shit like Banksy, Shep and Space Invader is my kind of graffitti. Joe Blow spryaing his name on wall in sguiggly letters isnt really art to me....unless the paint is made out of his own blood or something.....lol
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I'm for this kind of art work - when done somewhere legally

councilgrafetti.jpg

but I hate tagging like this, which is similar to what is on the door to my office

istockphoto_207930_graffiti_tag.jpg
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I would prefer the money I pay in tax to go to hospitals and education rather than having to clean up after some dickeheads who deface public property.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    yea, i think that cities should designate certain areas where graffiti is permitted. There was a wall along one of the main roads in Gainesville where I went to school where graffiti was permitted, pretty cool.
    SuperStock_4039-74826.jpg
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    i think some street art and graffiti can be really amazing, and really good for everyone to look at. when it's not on people's houses.
    but the stuff that's pointless, like people's names and what year it is and swear words for no reason, that's stupid.

You said it best darlin'. I love it when it's aesthetically pleasing, thought out, and well-done, but when it's just names and bullshit, it's garbage.
    This documentary is awesome.
    About the life of notorious Melbourne graffiti artist Jisoe.
    The dude is unemployed, hooked on weed, and cannot stop bombing trains.
    In part 3 you can see my local train station :lol:

Part 1 of 7...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvkX-2lZnuA
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    im all for ART grafitti but not really for tagging, shit like Banksy, Shep and Space Invader is my kind of graffitti. Joe Blow spryaing his name on wall in sguiggly letters isnt really art to me....unless the paint is made out of his own blood or something.....lol

This.

Love banksy

all-trees.png
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392

Part 1 of 7...

Have you seen exit through the gift shop? It's pretty good. Lot of good shit from Banksy and Shepard Fairey
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    there are some really great artist out there..mybe need the cities take advantage of them..
    but i dont like to paint every wall in every corner of the city..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593

Part 1 of 7...

Have you seen exit through the gift shop? It's pretty good. Lot of good shit from Banksy and Shepard Fairey
    i was kinda disappointed in it to be honest. While it was still worth watching, I was expecting a film about Banksy and it's primarily all about Mr. BRainwash
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    If you want to watcha good grffiti /street art doc, watch Bomb It!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    edited June 2011

Part 1 of 7...

Nah, never heard of it. Will see if it is on Youtube tomorrow morning.
    Did you watch Jisoe?
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    This is awesome old school, Melbourne 1983 - 1993
    Doco is called Kings Way, features Peril & Paris, 2 big figures in establishing the Aussie Hip Hop scene back in the day.

Part 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pshflYLe8Oo

Unrelated to Kings Way but old school news footage featuring Peril, Paris...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0vq8SWX ... re=related
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    FOR!! When I was in highschool and college I worked with a guy who wrote the word "ZONE" on just about everything he could find. But he didn't just write it, it turned this 4 letter word into prolific artwork. I got more and more interested in the whole "ZONE" thing and sought out more and more on graffiti. I'd go out late at night with this guy with a backpack full of spray cans and found the rush involved with painting the side of a train or building and then seeing this masterpiece of art the next day as you are driving around town. Illegal, yes, but he and we kept it to abandoned buildings and old depalidated trains. I soon found myself writing papers on graffiti in college for my art and journalism courses and actually made quite a stir with it all at my college. There's so much to graffiti, the culture, the artform, the socio-economic aspects of it. It's incredible. And it can be destructive and ugly. But there is so much to it.

www.artcrimes.org
    http://www.stylewars.com/
    Style Wars, awesome documentary. 8-)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    “[Graffiti] gives the look of disorder, as if nobody is in control. Graffiti is the first sign that a neighborhood is falling apart.”

As Mayor Giuliani said, "Graffiti is the sign of urban decay."

Read this article on graffiti:
    http://www.cooperator.com/articles/1201 ... Page1.html

Personally I hate graffiti. Some people call it art, and yes, some of it is, but what percentage? 3-5% maybe?

The only piece of graffiti I have ever liked is up in the projects on the Upper East Side in Manhattan which is the large graffiti with the "crack kills" drawing. Other than that most of it is just vandalism.

Just because you are artistically talented doesn't make you better than the guy who scribbles something with a black magic marker. They are both defacing public property.

But....if it is a legal graffiti area I have no problem with it, usually then it has to be approved and this is where you will find good graffiti art. But if you approve of letting people graffiti anywhere then I guess it wouldn't upset you if someone came with a spray bottle and drew something on the side of your house.
    The infamous 70K crew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbecWf-oDM

These dudes went on a rampage from about 2001 - 2005.
    Stan & Bones, Renks can be seen all around Melbourne.

One of them got arrested, the rest fled overseas to avoid arrest.
    Surprisingly one got no jail, had to pay $30k and do community service.
    are they related to two live crew
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    i see both sides of the argument and I cant decide if I am for or against to be honest.
    The 81 wrote:
    are they related to two live crew

:D