ESPN

Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
so the last couple of days I have been on vacation. I turn on any ESPN talk show and the first 20 minutes are still being dedicated to basketball. Is Lebron soft, what's next for the Mavericks. Do they even care there is a game 7 of the cup finals on tonight? I swear they have not even mentioned it, and basketball has been over since the beginning of the week.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,435
    Release Me wrote:
    so the last couple of days I have been on vacation. I turn on any ESPN talk show and the first 20 minutes are still being dedicated to basketball. Is Lebron soft, what's next for the Mavericks. Do they even care there is a game 7 of the cup finals on tonight? I swear they have not even mentioned it, and basketball has been over since the beginning of the week.

the nhl is not on their channel and not something they promote because of that. just a few snippets with barry melrose here and there.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    We've had many threads on here about the worldwide leader ... and we all agree ... there is little "news" on espn ... sportscenter is a 60 minute commercial for other espn/abc programs, products and whatever songs record companies want to push.

If you want news, watch the repective league channels (nfl network, mlb network, nhl network)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ESPN is useless except for when they are broadcasting an actual game.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    ESPN is useless except for when they are broadcasting an actual game.

i like Baseball Tonight but that's pretty much it other than games.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,239
    I like the following things on ESPN:

Buster Olney's blog
    Chris Sheridan
    True Hoop
    Baseball Tonight (Though i watch quick pitch on MLB more often)

Other than that I have little use for them, of course that's based on what they did to my company seven years ago.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Is PTI on ESPN?

We get it up in Canada on TSN.

I like that show
    Is PTI on ESPN?

I like that show

yes...and you suck at the signature. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    The 81 wrote:
    Is PTI on ESPN?

I like that show

Thanks. I didn't know I had a signature
    The 81 wrote:
    Is PTI on ESPN?

I like that show

Thanks. I didn't know I had a signature

:?

it works as part of a post, but not as a singature...needs diffferent code.

this is what i see
    [url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_2961.gif[/img][/url]

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The ESPN.com side is worth a look once in a while for some of the blogs, and I do listen to Mike & Mike in the morning (not as much the last couple weeks because of the basketball focus), but I don't think I've watched more than 15 minutes of SportsCenter combined in the last couple years.

The League websites/channels have much better highlight packages to watch,
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    i don't like espn as much as the next guy but let's be honest....an average of 17 million people watched each game of the nba finals...almost 24 million watched game 6. the game is as popular as it's been in over a decade.

the stanely cup finals?

about 3 million people are watching the stanely cup.

nba is just way more popular regardless if espn broadcasts it or not.
    www.myspace.com
    also, it's not just espn...sports talk radio is still consumed with lebron/nba finals talk. whether it be the local stations here in philly or any of the channels on sirius. i rarely hear a lot of hockey talk.
    www.myspace.com
    i don't like espn as much as the next guy but let's be honest....an average of 17 million people watched each game of the nba finals...almost 24 million watched game 6. the game is as popular as it's been in over a decade.

the stanely cup finals?

and 87 million people worldwide watch european soccer but that don't make it exciting. jaegs i've said before i love hoops but the nba game is horribly boring these days. the nhl playoffs are a better product to me (regular season nhl is bad though i'd admit) regardless of how many people watch either. and i can almost guarantee there will be 10x more excitement in the building tonight then there was in dallas and miami. i watched the end of games 4-6 of the nba and was shocked at how little excitement came across on the tv. phillies regular season home games generate more excitement than those fans at the nba finals.
    pjhawks wrote:

the stanely cup finals?

and 87 million people worldwide watch european soccer but that don't make it exciting. jaegs i've said before i love hoops but the nba game is horribly boring these days. the nhl playoffs are a better product to me (regular season nhl is bad though i'd admit) regardless of how many people watch either. and i can almost guarantee there will be 10x more excitement in the building tonight then there was in dallas and miami. i watched the end of games 4-6 of the nba and was shocked at how little excitement came across on the tv. phillies regular season home games generate more excitement than those fans at the nba finals.

the guy is complaining that espn doesn't pay much attention to the nhl verses (no pun intended :lol: ) the nba. i provided the reason. if soccer were as popular here as it is in europe, espn would surely devote way more time to that sport as well. people just don't care for hockey in this country, except in a couple markets. espn is interested in nothing but ratings so they devote their programing to what the majority of people care about. that's all i'm saying.

i get that you don't like the nba. in my opinion it's improved quite a bit over the last year. the game. and the storylines. shame it's on the verge of a disapearing act though.
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i can't watch espn anymore...maybe it's my age but it's fucking annoying...pointless graphic, music etc and about 2 minutes of actual sports news...it's a fucking joke adn not a funny one...thankfully, there is the internet to get my scores from...but i do miss watching sportscenter

but as 81 said, i do watch the live events..pretty much have no choice
    norm wrote:
    i can't watch espn anymore...maybe it's my age but it's fucking annoying...pointless graphic, music etc and about 2 minutes of actual sports news...it's a fucking joke adn not a funny one...thankfully, there is the internet to get my scores from...but i do miss watching sportscenter

sportscenter was cool until about 1999.

i still throw it on as a force of habit though. but it's incredibly annoying. at least sage steel and hannah storm are easy on the eyes. ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

sportscenter was cool until about 1999.

i still throw it on as a force of habit though. but it's incredibly annoying. at least sage steel and hannah storm are easy on the eyes. ;)

i try but i start to act like kramer when he hears mary hart ;) and i'm assuming sage steel a model that talks?
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    I quit ESPN when they started promoting arena football over anything hockey. Talk about a fad sport, arena football?! REALLY!?!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Ah, I remember the days before smart phones and the internet when watching sportscenter was almost as important as watching a game (if you missed the broadcast!). Now they have so much stuff on the screen, it only takes a few minutes to gather the info you want.

I agree that Sportscenter's overbearing coverage of the NBA drove me away (combined with only Crosby and Ovechkin highlights from the NHL)
    CServant wrote:
    I quit ESPN when they started promoting arena football over anything hockey. Talk about a fad sport, arena football?! REALLY!?!

They promote women's college basketball more than the NHL.

wtf-cat.jpg

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Espn television has sacrificed it's journalistic credibility to just become a promo machine for the sports entities that it and its parent company have broadcast rights to. As a poster above said, if you want real news go to the league networks or your local sports nets. I will give ESPN props though for still being the best sports website out there, but as for broadcast, I'm over it.
    For the record, it took ESPN all of 10 minutes to end their Stanley Cup highlights to talk about some random shitty mid June baseball game.

:lol:

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    The only good show on ESPN with coverage is College Football Game Day, their NFL game day sucks so bad. I do miss NHL 2nite, I don't really care for Versus shows nor do I believe it is on daily.
    Ugh, they did it again. I'm not shocked, but man it turns my stomach.

Had sportscenter on and they pimped one of their silly go on the internet polls asking folks to vote on the best play of June ... the three nominees:

1) The Dallas Mavericks winning the title.
    2) A goal by a Mexican dude against the US in the Gold Cup final from this past weekend.
    3) A great catch by a kid form the U in the college world series.

Wait ... really? Not one play from the NHL playoffs? No mention of the Bruins at all?

OHHHH that's right ...

1) They cover the NBA
    2) They are currently covering the women's world cup
    3) The cover the college world series.

I know, it's too much to ask that they take one poll off to stop themselves from shilling their own damn programming. It's just so sickeningly obvious that they do this.

Yes, I've since switched over to the MLB network.