talking & eating

chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
it makes me wonder a bit when eating out, i'll see a couple having a meal together and not one single word is said. earlier today i ate a sandwich & salad while sitting near a man and his lady. they spoke nothing to each other, not a peep.

why do we go out to eat? to visit with others? don't wanna cook? obviously some folks go out to eat with their loved one and don't say shit to them at all.

i'd have to stab someone in the face with my fork if they were silent while dining with me.

anyone?
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    after close to 8 years, i don't need to talk the entire time i am out with the woman.

sometimes we will jibber jabber for 20 minutes, than sit there in silence for a bit while we wait for food or eat.

it's called getting old together.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    well chad, good to see you on here again..its been a while for me anyway...

It would seem that we as couples get into a rut sometimes. We focus so much on raising the kids and talking about the kids and making sure the kids are alright etc...that when it comes to alone time and we're done talking about the kids there isn't much to say. I am not saying this is good, I truly believe its not. I do my best to carry on constant conversation with my wife or who ever else I am eating with, but often times its difficult when
    all you get is one word answers back.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    conversation is overrated
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Boo Boo wrote:
    well chad, good to see you on here again..its been a while for me anyway...

It would seem that we as couples get into a rut sometimes. We focus so much on raising the kids and talking about the kids and making sure the kids are alright etc...that when it comes to alone time and we're done talking about the kids there isn't much to say. I am not saying this is good, I truly believe its not. I do my best to carry on constant conversation with my wife or who ever else I am eating with, but often times its difficult when
    all you get is one word answers back.
    i'd throw monkies and spiders at my wife (if i had one) if she never talked or just gave one word answers back while out dining.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    norm wrote:
    with certain folks this is true. or certain poles, posts, or boxes and bricks/brick walls

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    norm wrote:
    with certain folks this is true. or certain poles, posts, or boxes and bricks/brick walls

i've had great convos with brick walls ;)
  • i love it with the wife shuts her trap for 5 mins.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Ugh, been there, done that. Sometimes there just isn't all that much to say. (Hard to believe that's coming from me!)

But, as bad as awkward silences are _ I'll take that ANY day over sitting with someone who talks with food in their mouth. There are a couple of people at work who do that, oh my God it is so gross. And my threshold for gross is pretty high.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    after many, many years with the ex, there weren't too many topics that we could agree on. In fact, I stopped saying much as I knew it would just become ammunition.

With my girlfriend, we both enjoy each others company, but we don't always have to have a conversation.
    i enjoy talking and dining with others. quiet people bug me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    chadwick wrote:
    i enjoy talking and dining with others. quiet people bug me.

haha...then you would hate me. I make being quiet an art form.

Don't get me wrong, I like to have conversations, I am just not a big talker
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    remind me to never have lunch with you...j/k

I don't have a lot to talk about with MR. RK....sometimes there will be a group sitting next to us, and their conversation is so interesting, we just sit and listen. People actually do this on purpose and write books on those conversations. :o Be careful about what you say!

Would you rather a couple sit there and just text/facebook each other whilst sitting at a table together?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    But, as bad as awkward silences are _ I'll take that ANY day over sitting with someone who talks with food in their mouth. There are a couple of people at work who do that, oh my God it is so gross. And my threshold for gross is pretty high.

there are very few things that bug me to the point of rage...that's one of them
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    norm wrote:

I can't even find the clip on YT...

Vada: Do you like seafood?
    Jamie Lee Curtis: Why yes, Vada, I do
    Vada: see? food? {opens mouth full of chewed up food}
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    also, i do enjoy dining out alone
    it means i am special and hungry gd

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • some people are comfortable enough to be able to sit with each and not talk, without it being awkard

and then there's those couples that ARE awkward

and they make ME feel awkward when i have to sit near them

and witness the awkwardness going on between them

like people who are on first dates, those dates can be truly awful for them

and everyone around them too
    some people are comfortable enough to be able to sit with each and not talk, without it being awkard

and then there's those couples that ARE awkward

and they make ME feel awkward when i have to sit near them

and witness the awkwardness going on between them

like people who are on first dates, those dates can be truly awful for them

and everyone around them too
    some people are uptight and rigid
    quite stiff and boring as shit

they should dine at home :mrgreen:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick wrote:
    some people are uptight and rigid
    quite stiff and boring as shit

they should dine at home :mrgreen:

nothing worse than a boring motherfucker.. you gotta talk whilst you dine... but maybe not talk whilst you chew... that ain't fine dining
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    norm wrote:

from the title, this is what i thought this thread was about... :)

this is MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE!!!! I have a "boss" who chews with his mouth open, and talking or not, its fucking SICK. He slurps and smacks and chomps...its as if he is literally SUCKING THE LIFE OUT of his food! I get up and leave my desk when he is eating if I can :)

blech!!
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    As long as food is not flying out of the persons mouth - I happen to enjoy "small" talk while eating out....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Hubby and I make a point of getting out alot. Im a stay at home mom and hubby works all week. We often catch up on what we may have missed in each others days/weeks. And our conversation does revolve around our daughter quite a bit. But when the meal comes its sometimes nice for me to just eat and not have to take care of someone else.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
    I _ wait a second, I'm not posting below you.

I do not smell like cat pee and raisins!!!

:x
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203

Muahahahahaha!!!!
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
    genevieve wrote:

Muahahahahaha!!!!

Listen you...

SHIT! She got me again!!!

DAMMIT!!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    genevieve wrote:

Muahahahahaha!!!!

Listen you...

SHIT! She got me again!!!

DAMMIT!!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil:

"Wait....I am NOT posting below you"....

.....where's that inspirational quotes thread
    Dangdangdangdangdangdangdang!!!