Looking for super tough conditioning drills

coach4tlcoach4tl Posts: 143
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I coach American football here in Prague, Czech Republic and I'm trying to find some really challenging conditioning drills for some players who decided to skip out on a practice last night. They decided an Iron Maiden concert had a little bit more priority lol. We do the usual conditioning drills but i need something to help them see the light...

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    coach4tl wrote:
    So I coach American football here in Prague, Czech Republic and I'm trying to find some really challenging conditioning drills for some players who decided to skip out on a practice last night. They decided an Iron Maiden concert had a little bit more priority lol. We do the usual conditioning drills but i need something to help them see the light...

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

When I played football in high school a few players went out and got in trouble one night. The coaches wanted to know who was involved and no one would speak up. So he made us do what he called crabs. Crawling using only our forearms on our stomachs the width of the field. We couldn't use our legs to propel ourselves forward at all. It was torture an it didn't take long for the guilty parties to speak up. Not really conditioning, more a punishment but it definately gets the point across.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • ponytdponytd Posts: 654
    Suicides across the field. Run to one hash mark, come back to the sideline then run to midfield and back to the sideline, etc, etc.Or... I don't know these kids, but if you think the ones that skipped practice really care about their teammates, have the whole team run the suicides except them. Make them stand there and watch as their teammates gruel it out. If they care, they won't want to do it again because everybody else will want to beat their ass. lol because they're not just hurting themselves, their hurting their team. Of you could line everybody up to form a tunnel and put them at the end and let everybody take a running free shot at them (in pads of course)
  • coach4tlcoach4tl Posts: 143
    Both excellent ideas! We only have 35 guys on the team and 15 of them went AWOL. My thoughts were more or less to let the guys who were there dole out the punishment to the ones who weren't. It needs to be brutal though :D .

It's interesting to coach kids who don't know they game as much as the Americans do. Some great athletes and not too many lineman type bodies to work with.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    The Little Man in the Woods
    Standing half-squat, elbows out to the sides, forearms and hands pointing forwards, small alternating/hopping steps to one side and then the other until your thighs and calves are on fire. Then for 5 minutes longer.

The Mountain Climber
    Hands and feet on the ground, rear end in the air (so you're at an oblique angle), back straight, bring right foot up and left foot back simultaneously, repeat until ready to pass out. Then for 5 minutes longer.

Flutter Kicks
    Lay on back, hands under rear end (palms down) for support, both legs off the ground, alternate raising and lowering feet while keeping legs straight and toes pointed straight out. Repeat until crying.

The Electric Chair
    Stand with back to wall, feet out from wall @ 1ft, lower body until knees are at 90 degrees, arms straight out. Hold it until body violently shakes. Then 5 minutes longer.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Four things happened if we got in trouble.

Stadium run: Up the steps to the top, run across the aisle, back down, cross the aisle, back up, and go all the way around to make a lap.

Lines: Start in the back of the endzone, run to the goal line and back, 5 yard line and back, 10 yard line and back, all the way until you get to the opposite endzone back line and back.

Snakes: Start at the goal line, across the field, up to the five, cross back, up to the ten, cross again, up to the fifteen, cross back, down the whole field again.

Orange Crush: Line up the whole team in pairs of two, shoulder width apart. Five yards apart. The guys in trouble, give them a ball, and they have to run through the team in a straight line through the pairs of players and take their hits. They can't juke, or try to spin around to the outside. Just a power run, lower their shoulder through the guys. If they fumble, back to the start they go. Since 15 went AWOL, and you'd only have 10 pairs to line up, I'd say run them through a few times after a conditioning drill. We usually had to go through 25-30 pairs during hell week every other day.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Don't be too hard on them. I mean afterall, Iron Maiden is a pretty good choice considering what they could've went and attended... :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    anything involving full pads and bleachers is a great start

if you want kill them almost.... a full field ladder drill, from five yard line to opposing endzone, you want to see dragging feet that'll do it.
  • coach4tlcoach4tl Posts: 143
    Thanks for all the ideas! I'm thinking after Saturday attendance will be back to normal lol!