Life Changes in a split second!

2»

Comments

• BluehoonBluehoon Posts: 32
    Update, This morning Ava and I woke up to get ready for school. She help clean her finger and picked what finger she wanted done. After we tested her sugar levels, she helped clean the area where we were giving her the shot. Being only 4 she is my hero, we have only been doing this for about 5 days now and she gets it. I can't imagine being so strong at such an earlier age. I know we are going to have a long haul with this and we will have good days and bad days.

Thanks for all the love and support!

Thanks
    Kevin Wright
    You that never done nothing but to build and destroy
    You play with my world like its your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand then you hide from my eyes
    and you turn and run farther as the fast bullets fly
    Like judas of old you lie and deceive
    a world war can be won and you want me to believe
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    kids are amazing.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,940
    Hey Kevin:

This article was in my morning paper and made me think about you and your daughter. It's a little regionally specific; however, there are some good points on how the girl, who is now eight, lives a healthy and normal life. There's also a video in the link below that your daughter may enjoy watching. My prayers go out to you and your family.

http://blog.al.com/living-news/2011/06/ ... vocat.html
  • vc23vc23 Posts: 28
    Kevin, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your daughter. Being a father of a 3 year old little girl, I now can understand and feel the pain you must being going through. It drives me crazy when my daughter just has the cold. It is that crushing to see your little girl going through any type of pain. I guess that is why I try not to take any moment with her for granted. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Loulou wrote:
    Your daughter sounds like a little trooper. What a brave little girl! :)
    Agreed, wholeheartedly.
    I've spent the AM reading about
    hockey riots,
    senseless violence,
    + regular people losing
    their sense of self-respect
    amid the mobs of jerks + morons.
    To read something like this...
    it really makes all that
    other stuff dwindle away.
    My thoughts + prayers are with your daughter,
    + with your family.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Such great support here on the Pit.
    I'm a type 1 Diabetic. Diagnosed as a kid and now I'm almost 42.
    Sounds like your little girl is a trooper, and you sound like you're doing pretty good with the whole thing too.
    Stay positive, even if you're scared. Don't let her see you scared.
    I remember my step mom telling me "you don't have a disease, you have a disorder" and that helped me grasp things a bit better.
    I can remember how sick and thirsty I felt right before I was diagnosed and I also remember how much better I felt immediately after I was started on insulin. She's probably feeling so much better now. She is completely correct in saying that the finger pricks hurt more than the insulin injections.
    I'm on an insulin pump, a few people have mentioned it here. I've been on mine for about 17 years now and I wouldn't ever give it back. I think in time it would be a good idea for your daughter to consider an insulin pump, but I think for now, learn what she is going thru, learn how her body reacts to insulin, learn how her body reacts to different foods with insulin, learn how her body reacts to food, insulin and exercise.......the variables are endless but stay positive for her. Teach how important it is to keep the best control possible. There will be high blood sugars that might be disappointing or discouraging, try to spin it into a learning thing.... just learn from them. Think about what she ate, how much insulin she had, any exercise?? Try not to get discouraged. I'm sending you and her and your family good vibes. Feel free to PM me anytime!!

~Tiffany
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    Keeping Ava and your family in my thoughts---she sounds like a strong willed awesome little girl! :)
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,722
    Good thoughts going up for Ava. Good show, dad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Close friends of mine had their 13 year old son diagnosed back in November. It's been a roller coaster ride of emotions for them. Their son seems to be handling it fine, but for the parents it's been heartbreaking. One day at a time, hugs to your daughter and you. ox
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    I just want to Thank the Pearl Jam Community from the bottom of my heart. All these stories I have been reading gives me hope that my little one will be able to live a long life and be able todo what ever she sets out todo. Dan I will be giving you a call when things settle down here. It would be nice to be able to talk to another father that has dealt with the same thing. I haven't mention to Ava nor will I that she will be getting mail. I went to her school today before lunch to do the finger pricking and insulin shot. Sugar was (299). I had a moment to just sit and watch her play with her friends at the playground and it brought happy tears to my eyes to see her playing like a 4year old without a care in the world, running,playing, swinging. Then when I went over to get her a little girl says why is your daddy here, she says I have to get my shot before lunch. Then Ava says I have the Diabetes!

Thank You
    Kevin
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Bluehoon wrote:
    I just want to Thank the Pearl Jam Community from the bottom of my heart. All these stories I have been reading gives me hope that my little one will be able to live a long life and be able todo what ever she sets out todo. Dan I will be giving you a call when things settle down here. It would be nice to be able to talk to another father that has dealt with the same thing. I haven't mention to Ava nor will I that she will be getting mail. I went to her school today before lunch to do the finger pricking and insulin shot. Sugar was (299). I had a moment to just sit and watch her play with her friends at the playground and it brought happy tears to my eyes to see her playing like a 4year old without a care in the world, running,playing, swinging. Then when I went over to get her a little girl says why is your daddy here, she says I have to get my shot before lunch. Then Ava says I have the Diabetes!

Thank You
    Kevin

That is WONDERFUL!! I'm glad to hear that she responded to her friend that way!! I remember going to Diabetes support groups as a teenager and most of the teenagers there were ASHAMED of their diabetes. They tried to hide it. Not me, I'm not obnoxious about it but I've never been embarassed or ashamed and I think that has made a huge difference in my control over all these years. Hi-Five Dad!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,949
    Hey Kevin-

I don't know a lot about diabetes, but I know you and Ava can "beat" it...to the extent it can be beaten. Maybe "manage" is the best people can do at this point? :?

I will tell you, I know two people with diabetes. One is a guy who I just learned has it. He is totally on top of it, doing everything he needs to and doing great. The other guy has ignored it and NOT done the right things. His life is spiralling out of control. You don't even want to know the shape he's in :cry:

But, I know you're not going to let that happen to Ava. She's a real cutie and you're obviously the Dad she needs! Be strong and know that there's a TON of support on this board.

Take care, you guys. I'm in your corner....as are countless others.

Rob

P.S. Does Ava like Pearl Jam?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    kevin

i wish you, your daughter, your entire family...all the best.
    life indeed changes in a split second, for better or for worse....just hope to have the strength and grace to deal with what life puts in your path. thanks for the reminder.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    What a wonderful, sweet, loving Dad you are! As a mum of a 6 and 3 year old I can only imagine what you are going through. You must be so proud of how brave she is, you should also be proud of yourself! Good luck with the path ahead, as long as you stay strong and positive I'm sure that Ava will appreciate all that you do for her :D
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    Great Fathers Day Today!

We went to Uncke Steve's house and had breakfast, swam in the pool for a couple hours. Then went out and picked strawberries. Got home she helped mow the lawn and make dinner. She made me an awesome key chain at school for fathers day with 2 pictures on it, one with her touching a snake at school. She was awesome with her finger pricks aand shots when we were at Uncle Steve's!

Thanks
    Kevin
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Ava is an amazing girl, and that's because she has amazing parents. Keep up the positivity. Love and light to you all on this part of the journey.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Just read this - my well wishes to you and your daughter and family, hope everything is well in your camp Kevin. I'm not a father, but I can understand the difficulty in learning, and coping with something like this when it affects your daughter. You are in my thoughts, and it sounds like Ava has a wonderfully supportive father and family.

Finally, Happy Father's Day. :)

- Dave
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    First Time in my life I might be speechless. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, so very much. My daughter loved the box she got. It's the biggiest piece of mail she has ever gotten and loved everything init. She couldn't wait for me to get home Tuesday night to go through everything you guys sent her.

Thanks Dwhite76

Thank You
    Kevin Wright
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Bluehoon wrote:
    First Time in my life I might be speechless. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, so very much. My daughter loved the box she got. It's the biggiest piece of mail she has ever gotten and loved everything init. She couldn't wait for me to get home Tuesday night to go through everything you guys sent her.

Thanks Dwhite76

Thank You
    Kevin Wright
    That's awesome Kevin :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D , there's something else on it's way too........ ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    my brother became diabetic in 2nd grade. lots of things happened over the years. it is serious business that's for sure. it is hard on some kids when they get older and they wanna be ,like all their friends and do what they are doing, drinking and such. not cool.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    Bluehoon wrote:

Thanks Dwhite76

Thank You
    Kevin Wright

:clap: so glad to hear she was excited :)

Don--thanks for putting this together; you are super awesome!
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Bluehoon wrote:

Thanks Dwhite76

Thank You
    Kevin Wright

:clap: so glad to hear she was excited :)

Don--thanks for putting this together; you are super awesome!

This makes me very happy! :D Great work Don :D
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!