Vicks vapo rub.

genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I'm terribly ill.
Whenever I'm sick like this I put vicks not only on my chest but all over my feet and then put socks on over them before bed. Might sound weird but I'm tellin ya it really helps! Anyone else do this? Or have a weird home remedy they swear by?
the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    It is good stuff.
    A bit under the nose to clear it up (not recommended apparently).
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    I'm addicted to vapo-rub :shock: :? I swear. I cannot get to sleep if I haven't put some under my nose and on my lips. In my defense, I grew up in a very dry climate and I found that the menthol helped to keep my sinus pathways moist. Not sure I can explain why I still need it now other than addiction :oops: :mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    It does the trick when you are sick! 8-)
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    I'm addicted to vapo-rub :shock: :? I swear. I cannot get to sleep if I haven't put some under my nose and on my lips. In my defense, I grew up in a very dry climate and I found that the menthol helped to keep my sinus pathways moist. Not sure I can explain why I still need it now other than addiction :oops: :mrgreen:

Luongo uses vicks to slick back his hair
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    magic jelly
    I read on the Vicks site that you are not meant to put it under your nose or near your mouth.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Yeah Im pretty sure you arent supposed to put in on or near ANY mucus membranes at all.

A friend of mine told me to get rid of a nasty cold or flu to soak your feet in warm water and then put vicks on your feet and then put a wet pair of sweat sock/sport socks on your feet and then cover that with a pair of wool socks. And then sleep like that all night. Apparently you wake up feeling much better and your socks are dry.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    I read on the Vicks site that you are not meant to put it under your nose or near your mouth.

Probably because it's addictive :? ;) Basically, I'm sniffing petroleum :? OMG, I'm a sniffer :shock:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    edited June 2011
    genevieve wrote:
    Yeah Im pretty sure you arent supposed to put in on or near ANY mucus membranes at all.

A friend of mine told me to get rid of a nasty cold or flu to soak your feet in warm water and then put vicks on your feet and then put a wet pair of sweat sock/sport socks on your feet and then cover that with a pair of wool socks. And then sleep like that all night. Apparently you wake up feeling much better and your socks are dry.

My friends do this on their little ones to stop coughing from a cold, and they say it works wonders!

EDIT: I have not done this on my little guy. I think you can't use it on children under a certain age too. :think:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    genevieve wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever! How can a foot bath and Vicks destroy a virus? Oh...because it can't.

Ridiculous.

By the way, I have some magic beans for sale... :D
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    two shots of whiskey does the trick for me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mca47 wrote:
    genevieve wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever! How can a foot bath and Vicks destroy a virus? Oh...because it can't.

Ridiculous.

By the way, I have some magic beans for sale... :D

Not really ridiculous. We use the term "cold" to mean that shitty, yucky, snotty, cough that we get. It isn't always caused by a virus, and can often times be a bacterial infection. Our skin is a huge organ (teehee) for healing and our feet are a pretty big surface area for absorption. Even if we don't kill the virus, we can alleviate symptoms by absorbing some good stuff for our bodies while we are being attacked by the shitty stuff.

That being said, my home remedy is to take garlic cloves and crush them slightly and put them in a pair of tight fitting socks and wear to bed. You will stink to high heaven in the morning, but to me it is a sign that the yuck is coming out your pores along with the garlic.
    I have also heard about the garlic. Many of my friends use Oil of Oregano as well. Thats not just olive oil that got oregano in it. Its an essential oil and is pretty pricey. You take it internally and also put it on your feet. I guess you smell like pasta sauce the whole time but it works.

Not really ridiculous. We use the term "cold" to mean that shitty, yucky, snotty, cough that we get. It isn't always caused by a virus, and can often times be a bacterial infection. Our skin is a huge organ (teehee) for healing and our feet are a pretty big surface area for absorption. Even if we don't kill the virus, we can alleviate symptoms by absorbing some good stuff for our bodies while we are being attacked by the shitty stuff.

That being said, my home remedy is to take garlic cloves and crush them slightly and put them in a pair of tight fitting socks and wear to bed. You will stink to high heaven in the morning, but to me it is a sign that the yuck is coming out your pores along with the garlic.
    The symptoms that we try to alleviate are those that derive from the bodies reaction to the pathogen that invades it. While you are most certainly right about a bacteria infection causing similar symptoms as a cold virus, they are considerably different and the term "cold" therefore gets used far too frequently.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "absorbing some good stuff". Vics isn't absorbed as its not a systemic therapy.

Anyways, do you really put garlic in your socks? :o Are you married? I mean...does someone have to sleep next to that? :lol:

Also, you really can't alleviate anything systemic through things coming out of your pores.
    As someone who works in medical research (specifically cancer research), I will say that 95% of holistic therapies are complete nonsense.
    But, you got to do what makes you feel better. There is a huge psychological effect on people's determination of feeling better once actually sick.
  • mca47 wrote:
    But, you got to do what makes you feel better. There is a huge psychological effect on people's determination of feeling better once actually sick.

This Mr. Smartypants. :D

I have a strong science background (bio degree, work in cancer diagnostics, neuroscience research), but almost always choose to treat myself holistically. Our minds are a lot more powerful than we give them credit for. Not saying that some positive thinking is going to cure everything that ails us, but it certainly aids in healing. Also, we have been healing ourselves with plants long before Abbott and Pfizer cornered the market on "healing."
    mca47 wrote:

This Mr. Smartypants. :D

I have a strong science background (bio degree, work in cancer diagnostics, neuroscience research), but almost always choose to treat myself holistically. Our minds are a lot more powerful than we give them credit for. Not saying that some positive thinking is going to cure everything that ails us, but it certainly aids in healing. Also, we have been healing ourselves with plants long before Abbott and Pfizer cornered the market on "healing."
    Like I said, you gotta do what makes you feel better.
    I'm kinda the same as you, except not to the "garlic in the socks" level. :lol: While I work for a pharmaceutical company, I haven't personally taken a pharmaceutical product in probably 5 years...not even an aspirin or ibuprofen. While I"ve had some nasty colds over the years, I just let my own immune response take care of it.
    But there does come a time when the science of medicine comes into the picture, and I'm constantly amazed at how holistic-types are in utter misery due to their refusal to take anything that came from big-pharma.
    Like I said before, I work in cancer research (clinical), and it amazes me at how you can't beat some things into people's heads. The holistic types not only die much faster, but it's usually more painful and miserable as well.
    Oh well.
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    On the feet is very true. They are a great way to absorb things into your body.
    I have been putting it under my nose for years when i am sick. Same for my kids. It does say not to but what the hell. I am not supposed to drink on vicodin either. :twisted:
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    On the feet is very true. They are a great way to absorb things into your body.
    I have been putting it under my nose for years when i am sick. Same for my kids. It does say not to but what the hell. I am not supposed to drink on vicodin either. :twisted:

i do that as well & it really works for me. i never knew that you weren't supposed to do it, though. :?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Ive been living off Neo Citron and NyQuil and DayQuil.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    genevieve wrote:
    Ive been living off Neo Citron and NyQuil and DayQuil.

you wanna know something funny...when I had a cold a few years back, I was taking NyQuil & DayQuil...I got to my doctor and say, "I don't think this stuff is working."...he laughs and says, "You know that stuff has the chemical that is used to make meth?" Then he proceeds to examine me and give me the proper antibiotic for sinusitis...and never says anything about it again... :shock:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Great stuff.... use it on my kids whenever they get sick.

The Nightquil/Dayquil is for me - but that crap never seems to work.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I never use it but mom always put it on me as a lad. Folks around here swear by it.

But i do have a vicks story.....
    My cousin and I always spent our summers riding our bikes all over the ponderosa. Somehow my seat had gotten a dent in it and on one particular day we rode and rode and I developed a rather nasty raw spot near my...um...boyhood we'll say.
    So, i stop by the grandparents' house that evening before going home, mention my ailment to gramps and he says – straight-faced as ever – "Go home and put you some vicks on it, that'll do the trick."
    Being an idiot, I did just that without hesitation and needless to say my boyhood burst into flames.
    The next day I informed gramps of my rather unpleasant experience with his suggested cure and, again, straight-faced as ever, he said: "Oh, did I say vicks? I meant vaseline."
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • i've never heard of any of these feet remedies being mentioned here, i would not be able to sleep with socks full of garlic or vicks :lol:
    i haven't used vicks in ages, used to when i was younger but not since
    when i feel ill i have three friends - paracetomol, ibuprofen, beechams syrup
    oooh and a 4th - sleep.
    A couple of teaspoons in a bowl of boiling hot water with a towel over your head, clears you up ;)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    The 81 wrote:
    two shots of whiskey does the trick for me.

In your socks? I'll have to try that.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    best sleeping aide ever !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    My mom used to put it on my and my sisters eye lids to make us sleep if we were being bad at bed time. So if we opened our eyes it would burn, burn, burn.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Something that works for me is taking garlic pills in the morning and at night and by the next day voila! Feeling much better. There's a scentless and odorless brand. It's called Kyolic. I swear by this.