Chicago and Mountainbiking??

appieappie Posts: 1,441
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello Brothers and Sisters...
A week before and a week after pj20 i am hanging out in Chicago and i was wondering if there are some cool area"s to visit on an mountainbike? And if there is a place to rent an bike cause my own bike stays at home..
I like Freeride and Downhill so whats there to do and see in and around the city?It would be great to have my vacation combined with some sport,so i keep my condition on the same level and see more then my hotelroom..I know there is a bikepark in jersey called Diablo but thats all i know for this kind of sport,but far away from Chicago.. :(

Suggestions are much appriciated..

Greetzz and keep on rockin..

Appie
Pearl Jam 4 live
h8 2 w8 for concerts
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,151
    Sorry, I do not know the answer as I do not live in Chicago, but what type of bike is that in your pic? It looks awesome. I have a 2005 Jamis Dakar Sport.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm.. Nothing too exciting around here. You'd probably find more stuff like that in Wisconsin.

There are paved trails here.. http://www.dupageforest.com/preserve.aspx?id=4224

It's a nice 10 mile trail, but paved. I used to jog it.

As far as off roading, I'm not too sure. When we were kids my buddy's and I would ride off road trails at this forrest preserve..

http://www.chicagowildernessmag.org/iss ... woods.html

Actually, thats one of a bunch of named preserves bunched together in that area. There are a bunch of trails I'm sure.

I'm not sure where to rent a bike though. None of the above rent them out. This is the U.S. We are too fat for bikes.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    edited June 2011
    I would say just take that bike up to the lakefront....
    And have fun...
    Miles and miles of lakefront to ride that bike, and check out the sites.

Nevermind...
    Now I see you are renting a bike..
    Not sure if you can rent a bike on the lakefront....
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    those hollanders with those frikkin bikes....3 times in 4 days in Amsterdam i crash with a bike...still have the mark in my leg ,,,those bikes coming from everywhere... :lol::lol::lol:
    i hope you find the answer you searching my friend... :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    The only place I know of where bicyclists frequent is the bike path on Lake Shore Drive, which is very pretty and scenic, but often crowded.
    These links might help:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/de ... _maps.html

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/s ... icago.html
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it's pretty flat around these parts, not really mountain biking land. it's more set up for street/paved trail riding.

i'm sure you can find a place to rent a bike....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Sorry, I do not know the answer as I do not live in Chicago, but what type of bike is that in your pic? It looks awesome. I have a 2005 Jamis Dakar Sport.

Its an Intense Uzzi vpx...Frame only handmade in Usa..Selfbuild with other parts...Info here..
    http://appie.pinkbike.com/album/my-bike ... -Uzzi-Vpx/
    www.intensecycles.com

Great to see you like it.. :D
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
    those hollanders with those frikkin bikes....3 times in 4 days in Amsterdam i crash with a bike...still have the mark in my leg ,,,those bikes coming from everywhere... :lol::lol::lol:

That mark shows that you have been here.. ;)
    Its full of bikes here..19 million bikes for 16 million people
    I hope to hit some pedals in the Usa,but it seems i am going to a flat part of the Usa,but i dont mind to ride a race bike instead..If it has pedals and 2 wheels would make my day great... :)
    Im sorry Dimi your been hit here..But forgive them..they dont know who you are.. :mrgreen:
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    appie wrote:

That mark shows that you have been here.. ;)
    Its full of bikes here..19 million bikes for 16 million people
    I hope to hit some pedals in the Usa,but it seems i am going to a flat part of the Usa,but i dont mind to ride a race bike instead..If it has pedals and 2 wheels would make my day great... :)
    Im sorry Dimi your been hit here..But forgive them..they dont know who you are.. :mrgreen:
    no problem :) i remember get the train from Schiphol to the city and when i arrive at Amsterdam central i go out of the station and was staring like stupid on the right this big 4 floors parking for bikes!!!!!!! :shock: thousabds!!!!and in 2 minutes the 1st bang arrive!!!!! :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    I know the story my friend...every tourist gets shocked here with the number and behaviour of riding..
    Wonder if there are many bikes in the Usa...Gotta score me one to ride...And hopefully not to give you your second mark..although its from Usa then with a little Dutch touch on it....No dont wanna hit you..
    We have a great party to visit.. 8-)
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    http://www.bikechicago.com/rent-a-bike/adult-bikes

Found this. Looks likd there were quite a few rental places. Just google chicago bike rental.

Although it might be cheaper to bring your own.

If i had a bike i'd loan it too you for free
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg