Gibson Explorer - is it just for metal?

gimpy_boy89gimpy_boy89 Posts: 64
edited July 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just wanted to get a feel for what others thought. I play a Gibson Explorer, but it seems like everyone associates it with metal and nothing else. I find it to be quite an expressive piece of wood and wires, with anything from bluesy tones right up to kick-you-in-the-face rock tones. Any guitarists have any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    I just wanted to get a feel for what others thought. I play a Gibson Explorer, but it seems like everyone associates it with metal and nothing else. I find it to be quite an expressive piece of wood and wires, with anything from bluesy tones right up to kick-you-in-the-face rock tones. Any guitarists have any thoughts?
    i agree with you. not even really all that metal on it's own, a set of emgs helps in that respect. i know guys that play classic rock with them and with a vintage marshall they sound amazing. they are very versatile guitars and i want to get one as soon as i get the 335 and firebird VII i have always wanted.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I played a firebird in my local store a few weeks ago and man was it nice. Pelham blue with a maestro and a fat neck, but $4000 was a little steep for me. It was a beauty though, here's the link.

http://www.lauzonmusic.com/guitars/products.aspx?id=589
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Didn't Edge have an explorer at the beginning, Johhy Winter, or Edgar or someone plays one as well. It is associated with metal a lot because of James Hetfield. I am a Strat/Tele guy, but I will play an explorer when I need HBers. I refuse to play Les Pauls because of their price and their weight, but I will play explorers and SGs...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    I played a firebird in my local store a few weeks ago and man was it nice. Pelham blue with a maestro and a fat neck, but $4000 was a little steep for me. It was a beauty though, here's the link.

yep, that's her... lol.....there is a brown one i was also eyeing...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I played a firebird in my local store a few weeks ago and man was it nice. Pelham blue with a maestro and a fat neck, but $4000 was a little steep for me. It was a beauty though, here's the link.

You're from Ottawa?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I played a firebird in my local store a few weeks ago and man was it nice. Pelham blue with a maestro and a fat neck, but $4000 was a little steep for me. It was a beauty though, here's the link.

You're from Ottawa?

Sure am. I take it you are too?
    Yeah! Don't go to Lauzon too often, just can't afford their stuff!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I can't afford most of their stuff either, but it's nice to dream. I don't go there often because it's a trek and a half to get to westboro from nepean by bus. But hey, since you also live in Ottawa you should come down to Bass Line Station and check out my [cover] band next saturday (the 18th) at 9pm, we're called Riding Nimbus! It's a terrible name, but what can ya do? We're playing with Bad Doctor and Black Market Candy, if you've ever heard of those local bands.
    I can't afford most of their stuff either, but it's nice to dream. I don't go there often because it's a trek and a half to get to westboro from nepean by bus. But hey, since you also live in Ottawa you should come down to Bass Line Station and check out my [cover] band next saturday (the 18th) at 9pm, we're called Riding Nimbus! It's a terrible name, but what can ya do? We're playing with Bad Doctor and Black Market Candy, if you've ever heard of those local bands.
    I would love to, but I'm playing that night at Carleton Tavern!
  • I would love to, but I'm playing that night at Carleton Tavern!

That's too bad for us, but good for you! What's your band name? I'll keep an eye out!
    I would love to, but I'm playing that night at Carleton Tavern!

That's too bad for us, but good for you! What's your band name? I'll keep an eye out!
    I'm just doing a solo acoustic set, opening for cover band called The Spiderkillers! Never played BassLine station, how is it?
  • I'm just doing a solo acoustic set, opening for cover band called The Spiderkillers! Never played BassLine station, how is it?

It's pretty good, but not as big as the pics online would have you believe. We pretty much had it maxed out with 60-70 people there when we played last month... hopefully we get that kind of turnout again though! Solo acoustic set must be nerve wracking, no?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    As a pretty big Explorer fan myself, I can say I understand the sentiment, but to hell with the reputation.

Really, it isn't the Gibson Explorer that earned the metal reputation; it's all the copies by Hamer, Jackson, Ibanez, Dean, and ESP. Take the basic silhouette of the Explorer and add some jagged edges or sharper points to it, drop some active EMG's into the cavities, fit a Floyd Rose to the bridge and nut, and you've got yourself a metal guitar.

Really, the standard Gibson Explorer is closer tonally to an SG or an LP Junior, just a pair of humbuckers and a mahogany body. TOM bridge, stop tail, can't get much simpler than that. There have been so many variations, though, that the Explorer can really be anything you'd like it to be. Just think of how many speed metal enthusiasts (Vai, Satriani, and their ilk) play a guitar that, in silhouette, is a variation on a Strat.

Personally, I got into Explorers when I saw The Edge playing one (he's had his since their first visit to the US in the 80's), and then when Dave Grohl got into them. They're just kind of a badass, slightly flamboyant, but really tonally rich, guitar. If someone gives you shit for playing one, I'd just ask if it sounded bad, since tone is #1. And most Explorers have good tone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • As a pretty big Explorer fan myself, I can say I understand the sentiment, but to hell with the reputation.

Personally, I got into Explorers when I saw The Edge playing one (he's had his since their first visit to the US in the 80's), and then when Dave Grohl got into them. They're just kind of a badass, slightly flamboyant, but really tonally rich, guitar. If someone gives you shit for playing one, I'd just ask if it sounded bad, since tone is #1. And most Explorers have good tone.

Actually, I also became interested in Explorers when I saw Dave Grohl using one. That, and I wanted the punchy tone that a slab of mahogany can give without the neck-heaviness of an SG. So it came down to an Explorer or a Junior, and I went with the explorer because it just seemed fuller, not to mention it was an even bigger slab of mahogany (in my mind, bigger slab of wood = more resonance and character). I also like to pick with dynamics and frequently that means picking hard, and with the stock pickups in the Explorer it just beats the crap out of my preamp - I love it. Makes for a beautiful punk rock tone.
    I'm just doing a solo acoustic set, opening for cover band called The Spiderkillers! Never played BassLine station, how is it?

It's pretty good, but not as big as the pics online would have you believe. We pretty much had it maxed out with 60-70 people there when we played last month... hopefully we get that kind of turnout again though! Solo acoustic set must be nerve wracking, no?
    Nice!

Solo acoustic is interesting, but I just go into it viewing it as a big campfire. Tends to work okay!
  • Nice!

Solo acoustic is interesting, but I just go into it viewing it as a big campfire. Tends to work okay!

Yeah man, when you put it in those terms it wouldn't be so bad. I thought the Bassline gig last month was gonna be more nerve wracking than what it turned out to be because it was my first time in front of a crowd, but I loved every minute of it. I can't wait to get back up in front of people this weekend (with the Explorer) and we've thrown Rockin' in the Free World into our set along with a few others for this show so it should be a good time!
    Nice!

Yeah man, when you put it in those terms it wouldn't be so bad. I thought the Bassline gig last month was gonna be more nerve wracking than what it turned out to be because it was my first time in front of a crowd, but I loved every minute of it. I can't wait to get back up in front of people this weekend (with the Explorer) and we've thrown Rockin' in the Free World into our set along with a few others for this show so it should be a good time!
    That's awesome! To be honest, when I'm at jams with friends/family sometimes it's more nervewracking because I know everyone can actually play/paying attention. Having said that, 5 minutes before I go on, I'm always a wreck.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    AzWicker wrote:
    Didn't Edge have an explorer at the beginning

Yep, thats actually his main guitar, and how he gets his signature song. I think they sound great personally.
    Very versatile guitars
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Yeah, it's a shame it has that automatic association with metal. I bought a second hand Explorer (black) years ago and it's been my go-to ever since... generally, I prefer the feel of Fenders over Gibsons but the overall sound and weight of an Explorer is sooooo gooooood!... I fell in love with them because of the way Dave Grohl handled his.... at the time I was in a band that played soft poppy punk rock...it probably looked a bit strange but hey, who cares?
    "i hope it's a sweet ride here for me tonight cause i feel i'm going feel i'm slowing down"