Grantland

loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
It's Bill Simmons new website, started yesterday.
Basically a bunch of writers that he likes, writing about sports and some pop culture.
I really like it.

Basically, if you're a Simmons fan, you'll probably like it.

Anyone else a fan?
Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I've been meaning to look at it more, only read one or two posts on it so far. I'm interested to see where it goes.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,239
    I've never been a Simmons fan, but I just read two of the pieces (the Donnie Walsh piece and the one about covering baseball again) and enjoyed them.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    loadedgun wrote:
    Basically a bunch of writers that he likes, writing about sports and some pop culture.
    I really like it.

Anyone else a fan?

Yep, big Simmons fan. I'm not sure how this Grantland site is going to go, but hopefully it is successful. Have you heard, is he going to cut down or stop writing for ESPN or is he doing both?
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    Love Simmons.. great writer. I read his opener for Grantland... kept me interested. Hopefully it goes well.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    dougfloyd wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    I really like it.

Anyone else a fan?

Yep, big Simmons fan. I'm not sure how this Grantland site is going to go, but hopefully it is successful. Have you heard, is he going to cut down or stop writing for ESPN or is he doing both?

Grantland is ESPN, just not branded. Tommy Craggs from Deadspin almost joined Grantland and had to talk with VPs at ESPN. Don't let the unbrandedness fool you, he's still part of the beast.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Love Simmons baseball and football talk.

I think he made a comment once that Tim Robbins ruined Pearl Jam for him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    I really like it.

Anyone else a fan?

Grantland is ESPN, just not branded. Tommy Craggs from Deadspin almost joined Grantland and had to talk with VPs at ESPN. Don't let the unbrandedness fool you, he's still part of the beast.

So these are still ESPN columns just on a different site except now he can curse? :lol: I knew he wasn't leaving ESPN, was just wondering if he would have some columns posted on ESPN and some on Grantland. I guess maybe they are just giving him a longer leash.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    dougfloyd wrote:
    So these are still ESPN columns just on a different site except now he can curse? :lol: I knew he wasn't leaving ESPN, was just wondering if he would have some columns posted on ESPN and some on Grantland. I guess maybe they are just giving him a longer leash.

Essentially, I guess. Plus I am sure he has a lot of editorial control over the site and it will go mostly in the direction he wants, with ESPNs approval to an extent, I am sure.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:

Essentially, I guess. Plus I am sure he has a lot of editorial control over the site and it will go mostly in the direction he wants, with ESPNs approval to an extent, I am sure.

Here's a little more insight about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/magazine/can-bill-simmons-win-the-big-one.html?scp=1&sq=bill%20simmons&st=cse
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    loadedgun wrote:
    I really like it.

Anyone else a fan?

Used to like simmons a lot. now he only writes about the NBA, so I rarely read him anymore. Also, his first book was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever purchased.

Chuck Klosterman is one of my favorite authors, so I'm hoping he's a regular contributor. (check out his books -Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, Killing Yourself to Live, or Downtown Owl are probably my favorites) Otherwise this site will be labeled similar to rick reilly's articles in my 'do not bother wasting time reading this' camp.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    The Fixer wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    I really like it.

Anyone else a fan?

Used to like simmons a lot. now he only writes about the NBA, so I rarely read him anymore. Also, his first book was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever purchased.

Chuck Klosterman is one of my favorite authors, so I'm hoping he's a regular contributor. (check out his books -Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, Killing Yourself to Live, or Downtown Owl are probably my favorites) Otherwise this site will be labeled similar to rick reilly's articles in my 'do not bother wasting time reading this' camp.

Pretty sure Klosterman will be all over this ... he's a regular on Simmons' podcasts. They've been talking about it for a while. You forgot Fargo Rock City, a great book of Klosterman's, especially for the age group of muisic lovers on this board.

The one thing making me reserve judgement on this new site is Simmons' take on ESPN. If he really opens up about he feels about the "World Wide Leader", then the new site is a success. But if he still keeps that shit to himself, then this is just an extension of Page 2 with f-bombs tossed in.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    I really like it.

Anyone else a fan?

Pretty sure Klosterman will be all over this ... he's a regular on Simmons' podcasts. They've been talking about it for a while. You forgot Fargo Rock City, a great book of Klosterman's, especially for the age group of muisic lovers on this board.

The one thing making me reserve judgement on this new site is Simmons' take on ESPN. If he really opens up about he feels about the "World Wide Leader", then the new site is a success. But if he still keeps that shit to himself, then this is just an extension of Page 2 with f-bombs tossed in.

Fargo Rock City was good as well. I have Eating the Dinosaur, but haven't read it yet.

I don't see him burying espn. His site is being promoted on their homepage. That would be kinda like biting the hand that feeds you
    Fargo Rock City was my favorite of his books too. Klosterman already has 2 articles up on Grantland so far. I like it when he's on the podcast with Simmons.

I doubt Simmons is going to start ripping ESPN on this site. He already mentioned on the podcast that he already regrets mentioning any criticisms in that new ESPN tell-all book. It looks like the site will have contributions from a lot of different writers.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Loved the entry about the old The National. Great stuff there, but I agree with above on how tight the leash from Bristol will be on this.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I like what I've read there so far. I have high hopes for the site. I just hope he has time to keep doing the BS Report podcast on a regular basis.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    great article about the nba on friday. game is about at it's peak again...and about to fall off a cliff at the same time.
    www.myspace.com
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    klosterman's piece on zeppelin's last stand is just phenomenal. i've always liked In Through the Out Door
    www.myspace.com