Concert Parking Problems

HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_18233313?source=rss&nclick_check=1

"U2 concert turns into nightmare for motorists stuck in traffic"

It's not U2's fault in the least for this debacle. All they do is show up to put on a concert. 10,000 parking spaces in the lot for close to 70,000 people.

The concert organizer put up digital signs along several of the routes in indicating that there was no parking available.

What else could have been done? How could this have been avoided?

Two thoughts:

1. It's a good thing the Oakland Raiders aren't more popular.
2. The GM for the venue said this and it's valid: "Leaving at 6 p.m. and expecting to get into a concert that began at 7 p.m. is unrealistic... With a sold-out show, that's just not possible."

Take note PJ20 attendees.
"A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    yeah, I saw that last night. I always get nervous driving to shows or sports events that I will get stuck in traffic so I normally leave very early. The PJ show at the Spectrum in Philly on Oct 31, with the World Series game going on in the same complex as the show, I did trick-or-treating with my son at 6, was on the road by 6:45, drove the 70 miles into Philly, and luckily got there in plenty of time.

I For U2 shows, I get there early in the a.m. to either be in the GA line or hang out in the parking lot with friends and make it an all day event.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    what do they do for football games. seems like people should know this kind of stuff before hand. anybody that has ever been to wrigley knows, you don't park at the stadium. didn't these people know what was going on?

sounds like a few idiots out in cali
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    The 81 wrote:
    what do they do for football games. seems like people should know this kind of stuff before hand. anybody that has ever been to wrigley knows, you don't park at the stadium. didn't these people know what was going on?

sounds like a few idiots out in cali

1. It's the Oakland Raiders so no one goes to the games.*
    2. Football games don't happen just after rush hour on week days.
    3. Construction is typically done or being finished up by the time football season kicks off.
    4. I'm guessing there isn't much overlap between the people who normally attend events at the stadium and the crowd who showed up the other night. They had no experience in dealing with the routes or parking.

*I have not proof of this other than the Oakland Raiders record over the past 20 years or so.**

**+/- another 15 years.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I was supposed to be at this show, but we were planning on being in the parking lot all day in an RV.
  • Strange, when I lived up north for a while I always just took BART there(as did many, many other people) since it drops you off right at the Coliseum. Plus they usually add late trains for any big events like this since it's expected you probably won't make it on the last normally available train.

I wonder why so many people decided to drive and park for this show? And also leave so late as if you can just cruise down the 880 no prob!

And for the fans coming from the South without a station playing the crying game...Park and Ride bitches!

Hmm...there's going to be 70,000 people at this show...we should cruise in no problem, we'll leave 45 minutes before the show! :roll:
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    HeavyHands wrote:

What else could have been done? How could this have been avoided?

Two thoughts:

1. It's a good thing the Oakland Raiders aren't more popular.
    2. The GM for the venue said this and it's valid: "Leaving at 6 p.m. and expecting to get into a concert that began at 7 p.m. is unrealistic... With a sold-out show, that's just not possible."

Take note PJ20 attendees.

I work in an arena, that this boggles my mind... some events usually have heavy walk up crowds. And I love it when people get there 15 minutes before a game/show starts and bitch about waiting in line to buy a ticket for something that's been onsale for 2 months. Plan ahead a little bit people.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln