what are the odds that this is the way you die

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I mean, they have to astronomical. I'm always aware of vehicles that are carrying cargo that looks like it's not tied down too well and avoid being behind them for fear of something flying through my windshield, but never in my wildest dreams would I imagine this.

Hit bear flies, kills 2 in oncoming SUV

Two people were killed in their sport utility vehicle when another car struck a bear and sent it crashing through their windshield, Quebec police said Tuesday.

Two unidentified young men were in a Pontiac Sunbird traveling east on a rural two-lane highway Monday night outside the town of Luskville, Quebec, when they struck the bear, Constable Martin Fournel told the QMI Agency.

The 300-pound bear flew into the path of an oncoming SUV with three occupants, killing the female driver and a man seated behind her, both from the Ottawa area, police said. A man in the front passenger seat was injured and was in stable condition Tuesday.

Fournel said collisions with deer are far more common in the area, and the ricochet nature of the accident was a first for him.

"The bear went through the windshield on the driver's side and went back out by the back window. So can you imagine?" the officer told QMI.

The two men who first hit the bear weren't seriously injured, but the bear was killed, the report said.

The highway was closed until Tuesday morning for debris removal, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. said.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    In Texas the odds are zip unless you're in the west Texas mountains. Much better chance of hitting a fat person. There are people here who rival bears in size.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    that is odd
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Remember that film director, i think. It was Alan Pakula? He was driving down the expressway and a metal rod came flying at him, went thru his windshield, and killed him. Crazy stuff.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    There was a story of a woman killed on the PA turnpike a few years back because some asshole kids were dropping big boulders of frozen snow/ice from a bridge. Idiots.

I also know there was a teacher killed in NJ from something flying off a truck, went straight through the driver's side window.

Freaky, freaky. A friend of mine had a deer jump right into her windshield last year and if it wasn't for the broken glass breaking the deer's neck it probably would have crushed her. As it is one of the antlers almost decapitated her, big gash from her chin to her lower neck.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    years ago, I read that in Frederick, MD, a turkey flew into a guy's windshield while he was driving and it was still alive, scratching him. I'm not sure if either died.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • cfbd68cfbd68 Posts: 228
    I know I was born & I know that I'll die.............

But not that way............. :o ...........I say 0 %
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder, to find an approach and a way to live
    Constant Recoil..Sometimes life, Don't leave you alone
    When the anxious is the present, unwrap your gifts, take your time
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    iluvcats wrote:
    years ago, I read that in Frederick, MD, a turkey flew into a guy's windshield while he was driving and it was still alive, scratching him. I'm not sure if either died.

Oh I would have died, I would have freaked the fuck out I would drove off the road.

I remember one time I was driving with my friend and a spider came down it's web right in front of the steering wheel, right in front of my face. I literally slammed on the breaks, threw it into park and jumped out of the fucking car. My friend Scott was like, wtf are you doing? :D

I HATE SPIDERS. I will probably have a nightmare tonight just mentioning this.
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Without a shadow of a doubt, it was definitely their time to go. Sad and creepy all at once.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    a friend of mine hit a deer...you could see the rib dents in her hood...the deer died, and my friend was grossed out when the HiPo asked her is she wanted to keep it...she said, 'he told me it was a nice 6 point buck'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Whats especially crazy is that the bear came out of the back window of the car it says. How is that even possible?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's been almost 25 years and I still think of her often, this loss made an impression.
    Freak accident killed my son's preschool teacher.
    While driving on the freeway a truck lost its tire on the opposite side of the freeway and it crossed over and bounced into her windshield, killing her instantly.
    She was a sweet young woman who in her short years touched many hearts
    and made a lot of smiles.
    Life is precious, we just never know... best we can hope for is to live a life that will be missed.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i used to work with a woman who's brother was killed when a chunk of frozen dirt fell off a truck and smashed his windshield...and his head.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Maybe the writers(if it even has any) of The Final Destination series should look into this...
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    My best friend from grade school's mom died when she was driving down their country road.. As she passed one large truck, it hit a horse and rider jumping a fence from out of a field...The horse had spooked at something and bolted, the rider (inexperienced) didn't know to jump from the horse before this accident would have happened, so she ended up dying right along with my friend's mom. The horse cleared the fence just as the guy driving the truck realized that the horse was going to do this, and slammed on the brakes; without being able to avoid hitting the horse. The force of the truck, slung the horse's body around and it hit my friend's mom's car on the drivers side, pinning and ultimately crushing the girl riding the horse..
    The horse's neck was broken and his head slammed through the driver window, killing my friend's mother instantly!! This happened so fast, that the car rolled for quite some time with her foot still on the gas before it rolled into a ditch, and the tires were left to spin. Now THAT was a hard one to take in, and when anyone asks her how her mother died, she now tells people , you wouldn't believe me if I told you, or the short version is.. it was a freak accident..Shit like this happens alot..But I never would have believed it had I not known this girl when it happened..Thank God my friend was at her house playing with me, and we didn't go to the store with her mother that day.. we would have seen that whole thing or been injured as well..
    The whole drive's side of the car was smashed beyond recognition...was totally crazy....Needless to say, their dad sold their three horses, right after that happened..She has never gotten on a horse since.. Her mother was the one who taught me to ride..So freaky how quick we can be taken from this earth..