should I talk to an ebay seller?

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
(background: Years ago, once I gave an ebay seller a bad rating for sending me crap. He in turn gave me a bad rating as a buyer for not emailing him and discussing the problem first.)

So now, two days ago, the item I ordered arrived in a timely matter NOT in the manufacturer's package and w/o instructions. However, it is in excellent condition. Instead of rating the seller that it was not as described, I emailed the seller on ebay's website and I politely reminded the seller that the definition of new = unopened. In case he did not do it and an employee did it, I described how it was wrapped in plastic wrap w/o instructions. This a.m., the seller sent me a reply and asked for my phone number to discuss this.

I have not replied and in my email which has his reply via ebay's site has a disclaimer to not deal with them offline, don't have the exact words handy right now.

What would you do? Would you report that person? And as for that transaction years ago that I rec'd a bad rating as a buyer, my husband said the person should not have sent me shitty merchandise to begin with. So for about 5 yrs, I had a negative remark against me. Don't know why I cared, I'm never a seller.

And this seller has a 100 percent rating.

I should have not been so lazy and should have just gone to the store than buy something for my hair online.
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    There is no need to talk to this person over the telephone. Everything that needs to be discussed can be done through email.Just tell them you're not comfortable giving that info out and, you shouldn't be. Email is great evidence in case things go south..if its an electrical device more than likely it was refurbished and a lot of the times refurbished items are white boxes with a sticker showing the product or the product printed on to the box, which may be why you didn't receive it in its box....Good luck and be sure to ask them a lot of questions, via email of course.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    if a product is refurbished, can a seller advertise it as new? thank you :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    iluvcats wrote:
    if a product is refurbished, can a seller advertise it as new? thank you :)

no...it's not new.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i sold something once, left positive feedback....two months later, the clown leaves me negative. fucktard...

now i refuse to leave feedback as a seller until after i get feedback...

anyways, send him an email, tell him that you expected new, this is clearly an opened/refurbed item and you either want a discount...or a refund.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    this one is easy .

eBay started there buyer protection . and there is also paypal protection . pick one and file . the seller cant do nothing but wait on ebay to tell them what there going to do !! :mrgreen:

Amazon has a better one . A-Z guarantee .
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Refurbished can sometimes be near as good as new, but NO WAY should you pay for something that is new and get a refurbished one.

You might be better off just returning this item and getting a refund, but often (almost always rather), you are stuck paying the return shipping costs and might not be refunded the original shipping costs.

But your best bet is to simply explain all of your reasons for being unhappy and ask what resolutions they propose.

If he wants you to return it and you are out shipping costs then you might suggest a discount. Or just agree that nothing can be done but you will be leaving negative feedback as you were unhappy with the transaction and the proposed resolutions. Then a partial refund might be offered.

IN that case getting some type of refund discount is usually the easiest and most hassle free option for both parties.

Keep us posted. If the seller is honest then all should be well as you have a good argument.

Nate
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    people still use ebay?
    www.myspace.com
    Thank you for your replies.

I am dumb. It says no returns. I just plugged the thing in and I'm all happy b/c it is low power with a curling brush, see I like low power blow dryers that you hold with one hand as it styles your hair with a brush on it. I don't like blow dryers that blast you and you have to use a separate brush. Any way, I swear something was just coming out of it like pale smoke! I'll show my husband when he gets home. After the pale smoke cleared, I smelled the device and it smells like it is new. It wasn't THAT expensive, it was $2.85 for them to ship it from CA, but I think I pd $7 for shipping. If it doesn't blow up in smoke, I might tell ebay I believe he sold me a refurbished item and to give me a discount.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I hope your ebay transaction ended on a positive note. :)

For anyone who has never heard this ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtlK7sn0JQ
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
    thanks. the device works fine (the pale smoke was normal and it never did it again.) I replied to the seller and told her I don't give out my number, that not being in the manufacturer's package is not new and that I will not rate her (not in the mood to negatively rate her.) She replied again saying she wishes she could speak with me on the phone. I'm dropping it, I mean not complaining to ebay or paypal.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    iluvcats wrote:
    thanks. the device works fine (the pale smoke was normal and it never did it again.) I replied to the seller and told her I don't give out my number, that not being in the manufacturer's package is not new and that I will not rate her (not in the mood to negatively rate her.) She replied again saying she wishes she could speak with me on the phone. I'm dropping it, I mean not complaining to ebay or paypal.
    That's probably the easiest way to handle it. She's anxious to get your positive feedback. BTW if you were worried about her leaving you negative feedback, sellers can no longer do that.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I’m not really big into buying and selling on ebay. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever sold anything on ebay. I purchased a USED CELL PHONE on ebay a few weeks back.
    The add did say that the “top button” was broken but that the phone “worked”.
    I paypal’d the money over, received the phone in the mail. It was dirty, not even “wiped off” (I would never sell something without at least somewhat cleaning it), anyway….
    Of course, this used phone does not function. Sure, you can charge it and turn it on but as soon as it “sleeps”, it’s gone. The non-working “TOP BUTTON” is the button that takes the phone out of SLEEP MODE, so that button doesn’t work, you have to take the battery out of the phone every freaking time to get it out of SLEEP MODE.
    I emailed the seller via ebay in a very professional matter, expressing my disappointment in the phone and the seller was a “Grade A” ASS in his response to me, saying that he clearly stated in the add that the TOP BUTTON did not work and it was up to me to figure out what that meant. Again, I responded and said that I believed he knew what he was doing by advertising that way and that I felt I deserved my money back.
    He wrote back and was a jerk, again. I have opened a case with Ebay on this.
    I feel dumb, because I know I am not very technically savy and I probably should have done more research before I made this purchase but really, he could at least give me some of my money back. I haven’t left ANY feedback for this seller yet. I’m going to wait and see what ebay says.

Any thoughts?
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    but when you first saw the ad for the phone, what did he state for the overall condition? (I read about the top button)
    does the phone meet that description?
    people lie on ebay. My husband restores classic mustangs. years ago, I bought a car part for him and it was NOT in the condition as advertised.
    we did nothing about it and have this piece of junk that we now need to advertise as "fair" on ebay.
    can you look for a user's manual online for the phone? I would definitely file something against this liar.
    Good luck...
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    PJPixie wrote:
    I’m not really big into buying and selling on ebay. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever sold anything on ebay. I purchased a USED CELL PHONE on ebay a few weeks back.
    The add did say that the “top button” was broken but that the phone “worked”.
    I paypal’d the money over, received the phone in the mail. It was dirty, not even “wiped off” (I would never sell something without at least somewhat cleaning it), anyway….
    Of course, this used phone does not function. Sure, you can charge it and turn it on but as soon as it “sleeps”, it’s gone. The non-working “TOP BUTTON” is the button that takes the phone out of SLEEP MODE, so that button doesn’t work, you have to take the battery out of the phone every freaking time to get it out of SLEEP MODE.
    I emailed the seller via ebay in a very professional matter, expressing my disappointment in the phone and the seller was a “Grade A” ASS in his response to me, saying that he clearly stated in the add that the TOP BUTTON did not work and it was up to me to figure out what that meant. Again, I responded and said that I believed he knew what he was doing by advertising that way and that I felt I deserved my money back.
    He wrote back and was a jerk, again. I have opened a case with Ebay on this.
    I feel dumb, because I know I am not very technically savy and I probably should have done more research before I made this purchase but really, he could at least give me some of my money back. I haven’t left ANY feedback for this seller yet. I’m going to wait and see what ebay says.

Any thoughts?

He said it works. I would disagree. Leave negative feedback. He will run to you to resolve it so you then can remove that black mark against him.... or he won't but at least others will know he is dishonest.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    AS a long time ebayer I would give them the courtesy of a email stating you did not get what you want and want a refund at the very least. If they are a-holes about it then call as a last resort. If that fails then you leave negative and go through the protection plan. JUST know this the protections things are time sensitive. I had a ahole never send me what I bought, and he dragged it out on email for weeks until I could not claim anything anymore- granted this was before the new policies took effect.

Just because the device works now does not mean it won't start smoking again and burn up in a week. If you are doubtful of the quality send it back for a refund or exchange. You would do that if it was Best buy right? The sellers cannot give feedback now (which is horse shit) but it was becoming ugly with retaliatory feedbacks.

Good Luck- you have the right to a honest transaction don;t feel bad for asking for a refund or exchange if you think you go t a lemon. Any good seller would not have a problem. You might have to send the old one back though so make sure to get clear expectations from them on what is wanted back
  • jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i recently gave a seller with 100% positive feedback a neutral feedback because the item (the comancheros blu ray digibook eidtion) sent was water damaged before it was sent.

the item was described as like new...the package it arrived in itself was fine, so i know the damage occured on the other end...

its really up to you, but the description was wrong, they (whether the seller or employee) misrepresented their item...and it sold

you should be completely honest in your rating...at this point in the game concerning ebay and the feedback, sellers cannot leave neg feedback for buyers anymore... they dont have to leave feedback at all, but they just cant leave you neg feedback in this situation.

if you are worried about getting your money back than maybe keep up communication with the seller... or file your claim w paypal as long as it falls within 45 days of the transaction date...however i WOULD NOT give your phone number... as someone else mentioned on here... email is the best route to go...at least those are documented

i pretty much live on ebay...so i have dealt w a lot of bad sellers over the years.
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
    i recently gave a seller with 100% positive feedback a neutral feedback because the item (the comancheros blu ray digibook eidtion) sent was water damaged before it was sent.

the item was described as like new...the package it arrived in itself was fine, so i know the damage occured on the other end...

its really up to you, but the description was wrong, they (whether the seller or employee) misrepresented their item...and it sold

you should be completely honest in your rating...at this point in the game concerning ebay and the feedback, sellers cannot leave neg feedback for buyers anymore... they dont have to leave feedback at all, but they just cant leave you neg feedback in this situation.

if you are worried about getting your money back than maybe keep up communication with the seller... or file your claim w paypal as long as it falls within 45 days of the transaction date...however i WOULD NOT give your phone number... as someone else mentioned on here... email is the best route to go...at least those are documented

i pretty much live on ebay...so i have dealt w a lot of bad sellers over the years.

Agreed..

eBay / Paypal ... is trying to help with there buyer protection so don't by shy to use it . <--- eBay still sucks !

if you using Amazon you have a .. A-Z guarantee to use
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Jokertt wrote:

Agreed..

eBay / Paypal ... is trying to help with there buyer protection so don't by shy to use it . <--- eBay still sucks !

if you using Amazon you have a .. A-Z guarantee to use
    2nd time in this thread.....you must work for Amazon. ;)
    #FHP
    NO i hate Amazon just as much as eBay . ;) Never worked for ether but sure have been screwed as a seller on both sites . !!

A-Z guarantee. you get to keep the item and get your money back

Both places want to make dumb rules and screw the good sellers . :o :?

So now i just use there own rules against them...

Also thanks for caring . "Randy Marsh" i never thought anyone read my input . ;)
    Thanks for all your responses........As of yet, I have not received a response from ebay on this. I opened a case with them after several emails went back and forth between the seller and I. I never got ugly in my emails to the seller and his responses to me were pretty lame. In his last response he said "typical woman, this isn't wal-mart. You own it now, re-sell it if you don't like it. Stop acting like a victim". Unreal!
    I've received a few emails from ebay saying the case is still under review. I have not left any feedback for him yet and when I opened the case I noted that I did not want to be contacted by telephone so this will all be handled via email.

I can't believe I'm sitting at a computer bar at the Sheraton in Waikiki on my vacation typing about this piece of crap seller and lame transaction.................there is a mai-tai and a moonlit beach chair with Marcia and Jazzy and Cosmo waiting for me.................later :)

PJPixie wrote:
    Thanks for all your responses........As of yet, I have not received a response from ebay on this. I opened a case with them after several emails went back and forth between the seller and I. I never got ugly in my emails to the seller and his responses to me were pretty lame. In his last response he said "typical woman, this isn't wal-mart. You own it now, re-sell it if you don't like it. Stop acting like a victim". Unreal!
    I've received a few emails from ebay saying the case is still under review. I have not left any feedback for him yet and when I opened the case I noted that I did not want to be contacted by telephone so this will all be handled via email.

I can't believe I'm sitting at a computer bar at the Sheraton in Waikiki on my vacation typing about this piece of crap seller and lame transaction.................there is a mai-tai and a moonlit beach chair with Marcia and Jazzy and Cosmo waiting for me.................later :)

typical woman, huh? tell him he sounds like a stereotypical rectum :)
    enjoy your vacation.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    iluvcats wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:

typical woman, huh? tell him he sounds like a stereotypical rectum :)
    enjoy your vacation.

I'd send ebay an attachment with the email where he calls you a 'typical woman', that is not very 'business like' and very unprofessional of him as a seller...he's supposed to represent the overall 'good community'. Plus makes him look bad and gives you an edge in your case.

I like ebay for getting good deals, I have had crappy sellers, and ebay has always come thru for me.

Amazon has a great guarantee too, bought something from their marketplace, seller sent the wrong item, I complained, they didn't do anything, contacted Amazon, and they refunded my money in less then 24 hours.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited July 2011
    Well, I received an email from ebay with a postage paid label to send my item back to the seller. Once the seller recieves it, my money should be refunded within 48 hours. The email from ebay is a bit confusing
    "I am writing to you in regard to the phone (item # 130525996190) that you recently purchased. After reviewing your email, I understand that you already received the item, however it was defective, as you said that the power button is not working. I apprehend your argument of the item being listed as “Used” when it should be listed as “for parts or not working”, since the phone is not fully operational. I can see you tried your best to communicate with the seller but you were not able come into an amicable agreement. I know how difficult and frustrating this situation is especially when a seller fails to accurately describe an item and ship you something that is not worth of the amount you paid for. I would like to sincerely apologize if you feel like that the seller made an overstatement of his listing. I want you to know that we will do our best to help you resolve this important matter and to obtain your full refund."

Then goes onto this:

"Now that the case is escalated to us, we will require you to return the item back to the seller so we can help you obtain your full refund. To make it fair for both parties, we will let the seller get their item back and afterwards proceed with processing your refund. Before we hold the seller accountable and issue a refund on their behalf, we need to make sure that the item is back in their possession."

more:

"To show how much we value and appreciate the business that you’ve done with us, we're providing you a prepaid shipping label to return the item back to your seller so that you won't have to pay for the return shipping cost."

then this:

"The label is good for both U.S. Postal Service and UPS shipping. We'll add the tracking information from the label into your case in the Resolution Center so that you can also track the shipment of the returned item. Once we have confirmation that the item has been delivered, we'll refund you for the cost of the item plus original shipping in 48 hours which will be sent to your original funding source (as long as the seller hasn't issued you a refund)."

To me, it looks like I may have been successful in my appeal..........what do you think? I'm still apprehensive and will believe it when I have my money back......
    Post edited by PJPixie on

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    send the phone back, when ebay sees that the phone has been returned to the seller, you will get your money back.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless