CONCACAF Gold Cup Soccer

rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Tonight is USA vs. Canada, opening round of the Gold Cup tournament.

USA is in Group C with Canada, Panama, and Guadeloupe

http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/Sch ... 02,00.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    they are playing at Ford Field in Detroit, 2 inch layer of sod on top of concrete. Odd thing, the teams could not warm up on the field as it was a double header, earlier game was Panama defeating Guadeloupe 3-2.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    really like the way usa is playing so far. then again it is against canada

also the announcers are awful on CONACAF TV. they sound like fresh faced college graduates.

goal call wasn't bad at all.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    really like the way usa is playing so far. then again it is against canada

also the announcers are awful on CONACAF TV. they sound like fresh faced college graduates.

goal call wasn't bad at all.

I have been switching back and forth between Fox and Telefutura in Spanish - can't understand what they are saying but the emotion is a lot better
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    internet feed isn't bad at all. i remember back in the 90's and early 2000's watching many us soccer games on the spanish channels and having no idea wtf the announcers were saying. thank god the espn channels have picked up on covering soccer alot over the years.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

I am very happy with the Fox Soccer Channel, we get to see a lot of games from all over the world. But I have to say I like when ESPN covers games better. They have better production, better picture and better announcers.
    USA ahead 1 - 0 at halftime. not too bad, but they need to pick it up a bit
    GGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

nice shot by Dempsy
    final USA 2 - Canada 0

good start for USA, next game is Saturday vs. Panama
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I worry about this team for the future. All of their stars are getting long in the tooth. I haven't seen a young player come up and really impress, with the exception of Charlie Davies, in the last two or three years. Unfortunately after his car accident he hasn't been as impressive. Good win and the U.S. should make it to the final, but if they were playing in Europe they probably wouldn't qualify for the Euro Cup or World Cup with this team. Dempsey and Donovan looked great as always. Back line looked decent. So is Onyewu hurt or did he just get demoted?
    well, the US blew it, lost 1-2 against Panama, who are now in first place in group C. The US play their final group stage game Tuesday against Guadeloupe, if they win, they go through to the quarterfinals (8 of the 12 teams will advance).

Meanwhile, Mexico is tearing up the tournament, winning all three of their group A games by 5-0, 5-0, 4-1 against El Salvador, Cuba, Costa Rica.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    The U.S. looked flat until about the last 30 minutes of the game. I realize it's hard to get up to play Panama but we were outhustled and outmuscled. Not feeling good about this tournament or this team right now.
    Panama ties Canada 1-1 with a stoppage time goal. Panama wins Group C, and the U.S. can advance with a win or tie to face Jamaica on June 19 at RFK Stadium in the quarterfinals. A loss and the U.S. is eliminated.

Game is on now
    GGGGGOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

US up by 1
    well, the US won 1-0, but sheesh, how many shots did they take from almost point blank range and miss! It could have been 5-0 easy. The US dominated the game, had a LOT of chances, but had trouble finishing, this will not work for them in the next stage, or if they make it to the final against Mexico (most likely)

At least they have gone through to the quarterfinals on 6/19 vs Jamaica.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Its interesting in that Guadeloupe as a French protectorate can't field a World Cup squad, but they can have a national team? So basically the Gold Cup is the ultimate in competition for them.
    watching the US vs. Jamaica quarterfinal game. Donovan starting on the bench and now 10 minutes in, Altidore goes down with hamstring injury, not feeling to good about this game right now.
    USA 2 - Jamaica 0

So the US advances to the semi-finals on Wednesday to face Panama (who the US lost to last week in the group stages). Mexico faces Honduras.

If the US can figure out how to defeat Panama this time, it's a good bet that they will face Mexico, who is just tearing up the tournament, scoring 16 goals in 4 games. while their opponents have scored 2.
    Semi-Final US vs Panama on now. 30 minutes in and score is 0-0

Later tonight is Mexico vs. Honduras

winners of these two games face each other in the final Saturday
    GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donavan crosses in for Demspey to score in 77th minute

USA 1-0 Panama

and that was the final score.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,824
    Great pass from Donovan to Dempsey. But I think the ball from Adu to Donovan was even better...I'm hoping it's Mexico in the final.
    Mexico vs. Honduras 0-0, going into extra time..........

GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

93rd minute

Mexico 1 - Honduras 0

GGGGGOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

99th minute

Mexico 2 - Honduras 0

and that's the final score, so it will be USA vs. Mexico in the final on Saturday 9pm EDT from the Rose Bowl
    well the US lost to Mexico 2-4, after blowing a 2-0 lead.