Gibson ES-335 advice - Thanks - (UPDATE)

Thanks for your feedback about the ES-335...after seeing "exhausted's" vintage sunburst pic (and hearing from gimmiesometruth...thanks guys) I am going out tonight to pick up a vintage sunburst figured dot!!! played it on monday increadible!!!! (great look to like a piece of art)
Thanks guys will post pics!
Toronto - 1996, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011 1 & 2.
Buffalo - 2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    Hello everyone...
    So I am purchasing my dream guitar an Gibson ES-335 .....(since I recently sold off my sports memorablilia collection..or else no way I could afford it) I am hoping to get some advice.... I will be running it though a Fender Hotrod Deluxe III...
    Thinking about going all out for the block inlay...since it will be my last guitar for a very long time
    Any experience, feedback???
    i have always wanted one of these. if you have the money then get what you really want. you can't go wrong with any 335s. the ones i have played, even the cheep worn cherry ones, play and sound amazing. sorry to be no help, but i would get what you really want. especially if this is the last guitar you buy for a very long time.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    as someone who lusted after a 335 for a very long time and tried numerous times to settle for less (two epi dots and a couple sheratons, all of which were good guitars but not on the same plane) before finally getting one, get exactly what you want, blocks and all. don't settle.

double check on the neck profile. i was after a 50s style neck but i found the 60s "slim" neck to be plenty big enough for me. it's also bigger than the 60s neck on my les paul tribute (which is more like a fender C) so there is some variation there.

so that's my biggest advice, double check and be really sure of the neck profile you want. and if you want glossy, flametopped with blocks, make sure you get it.

as for the guitar itself, you won't be disappointed.
    IMG_1030.JPG
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    exhausted wrote:
    as someone who lusted after a 335 for a very long time and tried numerous times to settle for less (two epi dots and a couple sheratons, all of which were good guitars but not on the same plane) before finally getting one, get exactly what you want, blocks and all. don't settle.

double check on the neck profile. i was after a 50s style neck but i found the 60s "slim" neck to be plenty big enough for me. it's also bigger than the 60s neck on my les paul tribute (which is more like a fender C) so there is some variation there.

so that's my biggest advice, double check and be really sure of the neck profile you want. and if you want glossy, flametopped with blocks, make sure you get it.

as for the guitar itself, you won't be disappointed.
    IMG_1030.JPG
    this is the guitar i have been lusting over for about 5 years. that exact finish, only in a righty of course :D
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."