She texted. We kicked her out.

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
As many of you know, I really can't abide people who talk during a movie. A couple of years ago I was accosted in the Village parking lot by a patron who was warned for talking in a movie. I've nearly come to blows more than a few times over the years with rude customers over the same issue. When we adopted our strict no talking policy back in 1997 we knew we were going to alienate some of our patrons. That was the plan. If you can't change your behavior and be quiet (or unilluminated) during a movie, then we don't want you at our venue. Follow our rules, or get the hell out and don't come back until you can.

Recently, we had a situation where a customer persisted in texting in the theater despite two warnings to stop. Our policy at that point is to eject the customer without a refund, which is exactly what went down that night. Luckily, this former patron was so incensed at being kicked out, she quickly called the office and left us the raw ingredients for our latest "Don't Talk or Text" PSA. You can check it out below, or come to the Alamo this weekend where the video will be playing before all of our R-rated movies.

Ma'am, you may be free to text in all the other theaters in the Magnited States of America, but here at our "little crappy ass theater," you are not. Why you may ask? Well, we actually do give a f*$k.

Sincerely,

Tim League
founder/CEO
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

http://cf.drafthouse.com/she_texted_we_ ... _out2.html

http://youtu.be/1L3eeC2lJZs NSFW

so awesome! all theaters should be like this! :mrgreen:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    :thumbup: :clap::mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972
    dopey broad. The-A-ters are supposed to be DARK!!! Get it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    was that girl old enough to go to a PG-13 movie by herself? :lol:

when they instal the automatic guillotines to chop off the feet of seat kickers, I'll be glad to go to the The-A-Tre again....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I wish every movie theater did this. Especially for people who talk on their cell phones through the whole movie. :thumbup: :clap:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I HATE seeing the light of a cell. Put it away for two fucking hours.....

Maybe pj20 can ban phones :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    I HATE seeing the light of a cell. Put it away for two fucking hours.....

Maybe pj20 can ban phones :P
    but but but, how will we see all those shaky, poor quality/audio videos on youtube?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    btw ... the Alamo is now playing this before their movies.

I assume it's doing more to help then hurt their business.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I've thought about this, but how the fuck can you people see the light of a phone unless you aren't looking at the screen? It's not like a spot light on your face.

No, I don't text during movies, but I wouldn't notice if somebody else was because my eyes would be looking at a bright movie screen, not down at the audience.
    Gob wrote:
    I've thought about this, but how the fuck can you people see the light of a phone unless you aren't looking at the screen? It's not like a spot light on your face.

No, I don't text during movies, but I wouldn't notice if somebody else was because my eyes would be looking at a bright movie screen, not down at the audience.

Its easy to see them without looking for them. Phones stick out in a dark room
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    this is AWESOME!!! hahahahaha!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Gob wrote:

you should probably get your peripheral vision checked...if it's within my sight i'll see it
    Gob wrote:

Ever see fireflies on the periphery of your vision? Cells ARE more obtrusive that way. BRIGHT white light.

mfc2006 wrote:

have you ever been to this theater? it's in austin
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    The 81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

Yeah, but unless you have a spotlight for a dimmer, how would anyone notice if you held the phone at lap level? It's not complete darkness in a movie theater. I can see the faces of people around me..
    norm wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

yup, i have! they also have locations in Houston that i've been to. it's a pretty cool deal...they have a full bar and waiters take your food order during the movie.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

yup, i have! they also have locations in Houston that i've been to. it's a pretty cool deal...they have a full bar and waiters take your food order during the movie.

and it's pretty clear before you buy a ticket that there is no phones, correct?
    norm wrote:

i don't know about that....but don't all theaters at the very least ask you to turn it off? who the hell texts during a movie anyway? i guarantee you she texted her friends while driving that she had been kicked out for texting!! :lol::lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

that sounds awesome!

and yes more theaters should do this
    Gob wrote:

besides , it REALLY ruins the bootleg copies people are making and selling on the street!! :mrgreen:

plus, they play really random movies where the meals are designed to go along with the movie. pretty cool place. my wife & i used to go all the time when we lived in Houston.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Gob wrote:

besides , it REALLY ruins the bootleg copies people are making and selling on the street!! :mrgreen:

like "Cry, Cry Again" from Seinfeld? :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Fantastic! :lol:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

i don't know about that....but don't all theaters at the very least ask you to turn it off? who the hell texts during a movie anyway? i guarantee you she texted her friends while driving that she had been kicked out for texting!! :lol::lol:

well yeah all theater s do say turn your phone off but clearly no one actually does it...it just seems in this theaters case, it is strictly enforced in so much as this bimbo would have realized it...but then again, i don't think this idiot realizes anything outside of her pathetic world
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Gob wrote:

like "Cry, Cry Again" from Seinfeld? :lol:
    you people and your seinfeld!!

I was drunk during the 90's!!! Shit, late 80's and into 00's too!!!!

But I do remember some of it from reruns.

Gob wrote:
    The 81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

Yeah, but unless you have a spotlight for a dimmer, how would anyone notice if you held the phone at lap level? It's not complete darkness in a movie theater. I can see the faces of people around me..

maybe if they held it at lap level in the rows in front of you, you may not notice it as much. but if you are half a dozen seats over in the same row, i will notice it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cfbd68cfbd68 Posts: 228
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I've used the "Jaws of LIfe" a few different times in car accidents because some idiots were texting while driving :? . Dumb asses :roll: .
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder, to find an approach and a way to live
    Constant Recoil..Sometimes life, Don't leave you alone
    When the anxious is the present, unwrap your gifts, take your time
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    cfbd68 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

I've used the "Jaws of LIfe" a few different times in car accidents because some idiots were texting while driving :? . Dumb asses :roll: .

I saw a woman yesterday with a cellphone in her hands, using her wrists to steer while she was texting. She was pulling up to a red light too and I was just waiting for her to blow it. It's only a matter of time. Idiots is right.
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    mfc2006 wrote:
    plus, they play really random movies where the meals are designed to go along with the movie. pretty cool place. my wife & i used to go all the time when we lived in Houston.

That sounds really fun. I like the whole idea of this theater, and I LOVE that they play this crazy broad's voicemail before their movies now hhaha! Very cool.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,256
    Yeah we have a Theater like that here you can get waited on and they have a bar very cool , glad someone is actually standing up to the texting fools ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    The Alamo is awesome. They run a very obvious ad before the movie that says "If you talk or text we will throw your ass out!" this dumb broad doesn't deserve the priveledge to drink beer, eat good food and watch a movie.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.