What is your favorite part of the daily routine?

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
For some reason last night, (while enjoying my favorite part of the my daily routine), I was thinking of the favorite parts of my day at different stages in my life. It's funny for me, it's always a relaxing part.

Right now, the favorite part of my daily routine is putting my oldest son to bed. He's three, and a while back I got into the habit of laying on his floor for a few minutes when he goes to bed. Probably started as a 2 year old not wanting to go to sleep or being scare of something, but now it's our routine.

It's only about 5-10 minutes, but it's the most relaxing time of the day for me. He'll usually talk about his school for a couple of minutes, or stuff we did that day or are going to do. We'll lay there for a few minutes and I'll eventually get up, we say goodnight and he goes to sleep. Downstairs, the house is a mess, dishes need cleaned up, lunches made, etc etc etc, but for those few minutes, I'm relaxed, without a care in the world.

Other times over the years was sitting outside with a drink after everyone went to sleep, an afternoon nap, walking the dog in evening, and many others.

What is your favorite part of your daily life?
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    I like my "puppy time" as I call it.

When I get home from work and I am greeted by my Jack Russell Terrier named Scooter. I always set aside 5-10 minutes of tummy rubs, scratching behind the ears, wrestling around, etc.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,464
    Right now...
    Between 8am and 11:45am....

Before I leave for work...
    Have the entire house to myself...
    Sit on my front porch, drink my coffee, look at my flowers, read the paper.......
    Sit on this computer....
    Drink some more coffee....
    Scratch my cats ears for a while...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    Similar to Speedy, my favorite part of the daily routine is the early morning hours. Noone else up in the house, coffee, always a step outside to breathe and contemplate, meditate, take note of the air, nature for an awakening time respite...then some computer time, newspaper, more coffee. :) (I also like the evening coming home after work, which usually involves the recliner before bed after the face washing routine and feeding the cats--tough call). Probably morning.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    The first hour I have to myself after all the kids are at school. I quickly do a few chores and then it is coffee time. I usually hang out on the computer, and contemplate the day ahead.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Mine is breakfast time and reading the morning news.

Even here at work, I would prefer that no one talk to me at break because it's the time I really enjoy, just drinking coffee, eating breakfast and seeing what's happening in the world.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I love entering my home to be greeted by my dog and cat. Having a cold beer and just sitting back after work to give my mind some down time is just great to me.

I also enjoy the morning commute to work w/ a cup of coffee. It's heaven.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    It's only about 5-10 minutes, but it's the most relaxing time of the day for me. He'll usually talk about his school for a couple of minutes, or stuff we did that day or are going to do. We'll lay there for a few minutes and I'll eventually get up, we say goodnight and he goes to sleep. Downstairs, the house is a mess, dishes need cleaned up, lunches made, etc etc etc, but for those few minutes, I'm relaxed, without a care in the world.

If I had a son/daughter I would want to do this and I'm sure it would be incredibly special to me too. It has to be moments like this that make all the stresses of being a parent and a responsible adult worthwhile.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    The favorite part of my day is when the "rents" are out and I get to turn their Sirius radio to the PJ station and rock out..But also I enjoy drinking morning coffee while reading the newspaper, or walking their dogs..
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    I really have 2....in the mornings on my own, out sitting in my adirondack chair, sitting under the umbrella and near the fishpond....listening to the fountain....hanging with my dogs....all while I have my iced coffee and breakfast. I just LOVE sitting out in the garden. However, I also love dinnertime with my husband. Sitting and chatting, sharing a good meal together.....makes me very happy and thankful. :)

Nice thread!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• so many favourite parts - getting back from school and talking to my mum on the way home

having a shower at night listening to music

reading a book before i sleep

having dinner with my family
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Picking up my daughter at day care and having daddy-daughter time until her mom gets home from work.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    waking up....cause it means i get anouther day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My commute home, Me&Beer&PJ, Ahhhh..... 3 hrs to go....
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    the day itself...no work to go to...but I get to spend all day by myself with the pets. I like my 'me' time. When I was working, I carpooled, and never had any 'me' time.

I can do whatever I please...listen to PJ, play Guitar Hero, listen to the AET show on Sirius...repeatedly hit F5 for 3 hours straight, and nobody will tell me 'you're crazy'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416
    i don't really have a routine during the weekends, but as for weekdays...

i enjoy eating my breakfast: two scoops of protein powder, two bananas, and 1.25 cups of almond milk blended together... freaking amazing and helps me deal with not being a morning person.

i also really enjoy walking the dog with my wife around dusk time.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    my early morning walks with the dog
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    coffee in the garden or on the front porch

bunnies are about big time! :D
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I've actually heard this conversation at work, and almost all the married fathers said it was their "daily dump", because it's the only time they get any peace and quiet. Anybody want to confess to loving their time on the thunderbucket?
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I love the drive home from picking the kids up from school and kindy. After a boring day at work it's fun to listen to the excitement from the kids when they talk about what they did that day.

I also love storytime before bedtime and grown up time once the kids are asleep. ;)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    Holding my cats. Sometimes I give them so many kisses, they walk away shaking their heads, lol. I also love when my husband comes home from work and we kiss and I squeeze him to bits.

And like everyone else, I enjoy my morning cup of coffee.
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    The 81 wrote:
    waking up....cause it means i get anouther day.

That's really nice!

And, SatansFuton, you crack me up!
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • cfbd68cfbd68 Posts: 228
    That first sip of vodka .................... :lol:
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder, to find an approach and a way to live
    Constant Recoil..Sometimes life, Don't leave you alone
    When the anxious is the present, unwrap your gifts, take your time
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Getting home from work, petting my cats, getting a snack and getting on the computer.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    FIrst hour I wake up is my favourite, and the first few minutes after dinner when I stand up, lick my lips and begin my evening. I love the evening.
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I guess either working out in the morning or my commute to/from work. They're the only times I have completely to myself...no interruptions, no phone calls, etc., just good music and time to de-stress.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Happy hour.

:D
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    The 81 wrote:
    waking up....cause it means i get another day.

^^^^This first and foremost. :thumbup:

Then hearing my son wake up in the morning and start talking to his little teddy bear. I love that sound.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Having breakfast with my daughter. We both like tea. I make her decaf. And we have our egg sandwiches and watch TV.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    pandora wrote:
    coffee in the garden or on the front porch

bunnies are about big time! :D
    The bunnies ARE about!! I'm loving that. I saw a baby one in my yard the other day.. they're too young to yet know they should run immediately if they hear a noise, so I was able to get really close before he ran. So cute. :)