New Blog Post - I'll Never Race Again

PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
If you've ever tried bike racing or want to - read this:
:geek:

http://bluerubyrider.blogspot.com/2011/ ... inues.html

Also check out the link to NJ Gran Fondo in the blog post. If you love a challenge it's worth the trip to NJ. 3 courses 40, 60 and 100. Great price for a Gran Fondo and I know the roads - beautiful and challenging.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    how's your nutrition? ... my buddy races cat 3 in and around NY and he didn't start winning in cat 4 until i offered some tips on his nutrition ... (not that i'm an expert) ... simply, it's something many athletes over look ...
  • PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    Thanks, my nutrition is OK, I eat very carefully day before and day of a race or ride. But I'd love to hear some of his advice on nutrition if you want to send him to my blog so he can either comment or shoot me an email. Who does he race with?

My weakness right now is the sustained intensity required. I'm good with accelerating and sprint efforts but now I have to work on hold that steady pace by building more of an aerobic capacity. Takes time.
    well ... i'm his nutritionist ... so, he wouldn't be able to offer much help .. :lol:

it sounds like it's a fitness issue so, it's a matter of training ... will assume you know about carbo-loading leading to a race and have your race day nutrition set depending on the length of your races ...
    Great job helping him work towards the upgrade :thumbup:

....yes, I am all over the carbs pre race. I'm even staying on top of recovery nutrition. Hey, are you a sports nutritionist? Do you have a web site? I can put a link on my blog if you'd like.

I did recently have to change my drink. I had been using accelerade and found I was getting nauseous during harder efforts. Now trying Gu Brew which seems to be better.

It is mostly fitness; mainly targeting the sustained intensity. When I do team rides or even on my own, I am strong. I can usually finish a moderately hilly 60+ miles at around 16.5 average. For a woman that's good. But this is not translating to the racing. Apples and oranges. Plus crits can be intimidating. The pack, cornering...etc.
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    ROIDS
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
    :lol: ... no ... definitely not a nutritionist ... i've read a few things and i have good friends who do ironmans ... so, in "helping them" - i've picked up a bit of info but probably nothing you already don't know ...

i will say this tho ... each person is different and if you are like my friend who doesn't like sweet stuff ... the sports drinks/gels can be problematic and lead to nausea ...

again - i'm no expert but it sounds like you maybe need to work on your base with your legs so when you are riding in the pack - you don't require as much fitness ... do you wear a heart rate monitor? ... i'm guessing you have a decent red line but where it's not translating into races is that you are hitting that red line while everyone else is still comfortable ...
    Yup, got the Garmin 500 with the HR and cadence package and it's been a tremendous help. I can push my HR to close to 195+ and recover quickly but I know it's part of the continued conditioning. I'm trying to sustain riding at LT as well. We have a 3 mile stretch of road going through the "Great Swamp" and it's great for this type of effort.

The other issue I am working on is trying to ride more in the small ring. I tend to be a gear masher. This is a work in progress too - trying to go from muscle power to aerobic. (see my "Fear & Loathing in the Small Ring" post)

Keep in mind this is my first year at this. I've been a cyclist for a long time but only joined a team last August.
    manutd3581 wrote:
    ROIDS

Yeah, and get banned from racing even at the amateur level. :roll:
    195+!?? ... yikes! ... that's really high!

well ... sounds like you are on your way ... for sure getting dropped is very disheartening but like most sports with endurance - there is a ton of mental toughness ... keep at it and i'm sure you will see major improvements especially if you have a good coach and you stick to his/her plan ...
    195 is probably OK for the effort I am talking about. That for me is a short hard effort like a sprint finish. My highest outside of that is in the 180s on harder climbs. Plus my HR can go a little higher than most. My resting HR is in the 50s and I recover quickly when I go high- which is what's important. Heck I don't want to say my age but.....

Mental Toughness; I did a post on that too. :lol:
    http://bluerubyrider.blogspot.com/2011/ ... hness.html