Winnipeg NHL season tickets sold out!

Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
They had a 3 week drive to sell all of these. They sold them all in 17 minutes. They capped the waiting list at 8,000. that means the WINNIPEG WAIT LIST IS MORE THAN THE AVERAGE ATTENDANCE AT A THRASHERS GAME! LOL
Gimli 1993
Fargo 2003
Winnipeg 2005
Winnipeg 2011
St. Paul 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Dave Eh wrote:
    They had a 3 week drive to sell all of these. They sold them all in 17 minutes. They capped the waiting list at 8,000. that means the WINNIPEG WAIT LIST IS MORE THAN THE AVERAGE ATTENDANCE AT A THRASHERS GAME! LOL

what a great story, to add on to a great story, good job Winnipeg, you needed to whore out to bring back NHL hockey and you did it

I would like to see this model tried in Hamilton next, I'd certainly split season tix with someone
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    there will likely never be an NHL team in Hamilton. At least in the foreseeable future. For expansion, I think they are strongly considering a 2nd Toronto-area team though. The league has made it pretty clear they dont have a desire for Hamilton. Especially if Quebec City somehow gets a new building. There is talk about the US Pacific Northwest... and the constant Kansas City nonsense... as well as the typical Las Vegas/Houston. If I had to bet, I would say the NHL will not allow a team to relocate for a long time after this.

Im actually VERY interested to see how a non-maple leafs team will do in Southern Ontario. Hamilton would be better off than the 2nd Toronto team IMO. Look at the OHL in Toronto. Cant draw flies. I was at the Memorial Cup Semifinal and it wasnt sold out. An hour south in St Catherines, the Ice Dogs cant keep people away. I wont even use the AHL, as that league has completely hit the shitter in the past 10-15 years.

That Winnipeg waiting list isnt just a waiting list. People had to pay $50 (a seat?) to get on, and will have to pay $100 (a seat?) each year to remain on the list.

Maybe Winnipeg broke the seal for thereturn of some of these teams to the North, to mid size cities. Its a good story, but Winnipeg will still struggle to make a good profit. It is still better than bleeding $25 million a season. Some of the US markets' potential fans might look at the opposing Winnipeg, Quebec, Hamilton, etc as very minor league, I dont know. In Buffalo we will be much more up for a game against Winnipeg than Atlanta for sure.
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    there will likely never be an NHL team in Hamilton. At least in the foreseeable future. For expansion, I think they are strongly considering a 2nd Toronto-area team though. The league has made it pretty clear they dont have a desire for Hamilton. Especially if Quebec City somehow gets a new building. There is talk about the US Pacific Northwest... and the constant Kansas City nonsense... as well as the typical Las Vegas/Houston. If I had to bet, I would say the NHL will not allow a team to relocate for a long time after this.

Im actually VERY interested to see how a non-maple leafs team will do in Southern Ontario. Hamilton would be better off than the 2nd Toronto team IMO. Look at the OHL in Toronto. Cant draw flies. I was at the Memorial Cup Semifinal and it wasnt sold out. An hour south in St Catherines, the Ice Dogs cant keep people away. I wont even use the AHL, as that league has completely hit the shitter in the past 10-15 years.

That Winnipeg waiting list isnt just a waiting list. People had to pay $50 (a seat?) to get on, and will have to pay $100 (a seat?) each year to remain on the list.

Maybe Winnipeg broke the seal for thereturn of some of these teams to the North, to mid size cities. Its a good story, but Winnipeg will still struggle to make a good profit. It is still better than bleeding $25 million a season. Some of the US markets' potential fans might look at the opposing Winnipeg, Quebec, Hamilton, etc as very minor league, I dont know. In Buffalo we will be much more up for a game against Winnipeg than Atlanta for sure.

I think there's also a radius clause that both Toronto and Buffalo need to approve of...I don't think Toronto could care less but Buffalo would probably put a stop to it. I would guess that the majority of Sabres fans are in southern Ontairo. they'd lose a lot of fan base...I think the next two cities for expansion are Kansas City and Quebec City...I could see Florida move to Kansas but I think it will be a long, long time before Quebec gets a team back.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The NHL should do like the NFL did for Cleveland after the Browns became the Ravens.....take all the history/stats (especially the WHA history) from the original Winnipeg franchise, Phoenix, and give them to the new Winnipeg franchise....as a fan of one the WHA teams that was folded at the merger, I hate to see the history of that league get flushed away....hard to imagine that only one of the WHA is still in the city that it was at the merger.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    MayDay10 wrote:
    We're on the Canucks wait list, I think it was a 300 dollar deposit (or maybe less?) for the pair, which you get back when your seats become available, and 50 dollars or something to stay on (split between 2, is cheaper than 10C!)
    Kind of the opposite... it's weird Winnipeg's annual fee is higher than the original starting fee
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Dave Eh wrote:
    So funny... haha
    I'm sure Bettman loves those facts.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    That's great for Winnipeg! I hope the fans remain as passionate if they don't make the playoffs over the next few years. But with the Canadien dollar very good it looks promising they may get some stars to move north. When Winnipeg moved to Atlanta the CAD was like 65 cents to the American dollar, impossible for them to compete salary wise for the big names. So things may be very promising for the new Winnipeg franchise.
  • eddiec wrote:
    That's great for Winnipeg! I hope the fans remain as passionate if they don't make the playoffs over the next few years.

this is what I'm worried about the most. I'm in winnipeg, so going to many sports games over the years, fans here are very unsupportive of a losing franchise. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) attendance SUCKS when the team sucks. Fairweather fans here. Saskatchewan fans are exactly the opposite. that team spent so many years in the basement in the standings and they still sold out nearly every game. THAT'S a good fanbase.

Same with the Jets years ago. The attendance wasnt' horrible, but you always heard people talking trash about their team. I hope it's different this time, I really do.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Cool!

Now they just have to figure out a way to trick free agents to sign and move to the Canadian prairie ... :mrgreen:
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Jason P wrote:
    Cool!

Now they just have to figure out a way to trick free agents to sign and move to the Canadian prairie ... :mrgreen:

gift card for John Deere or Caterpillar equipment?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,679
    I think there's also a radius clause that both Toronto and Buffalo need to approve of...I don't think Toronto could care less but Buffalo would probably put a stop to it. I would guess that the majority of Sabres fans are in southern Ontairo. they'd lose a lot of fan base...I think the next two cities for expansion are Kansas City and Quebec City...I could see Florida move to Kansas but I think it will be a long, long time before Quebec gets a team back.

The radius clause is a huge reason Hamilton has been slighted numerous times in the past 20 years. Word is Toronto is very against it, but there have been rumblings of team #2 in Toronto without much mention of that, so I think it might be workable.

As far as Buffalo goes, a lot of Southern Ontario fans attend games in Buffalo. I think I have heard that 10-15% of season ticket holders are from Canada. Past ownership counted every dime and would have fought a Hamilton team to the death. The new ownership, who has deep pockets, I dont believe they would be as concerned.

The problem with the Sabres always has been they could never get their games broadcast to normal households in Southern Ontario so they historically have had trouble creating a fanbase of Sabres fans there. They are buying the Rochester Americans, so they are likely concentrating regionalism to the East..... so who knows what the possibility is. A Division including Buffalo, Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal would be 9 guaranteed Sabres sellouts regardless. I dont think the Sabres will have ticket troubles either way for a long time. The waiting list is about 3K I believe.