Madison Wi Locals

LandojamLandojam Posts: 163
edited September 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
After PJ20 the wife type and I are going to Madison for two nights. What should we do? Or better yet not do?
We do not like malls or chain stores/restaurants, looking for the reel Wisconsin deal.
Any help would be grateful, thanks. :D
07/22/92 -Bremerton, WA (Lollapalooza) 09/05/93 - George, WA
12/08/93 - Seattle Center Arena: Seattle, WA 09/16/96 - Key Arena: Seattle, WA
07/21/98 07/22/98- Memorial Stadium: Seattle, WA 11/05/00 - Key Arena: Seattle, WA
10/22/01 - Key Arena: Seattle, WA (Groundwork 2001 Benefit)
12/09/02 - Key Arena: Seattle, WA 03/18/05 – Paramount Theater, Seattle, WA
07/22/06 –George, WA,
09/21/09 09/22/09 - Key Arena, Seattle, WA
09/03/11 09/04/11 Alpine Valley
12/6/2013 Key Arena, Seattle, WA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You will definitely want to go to the Great Dane Pub & Brewing Co. - there are 3 locations in the Madison area, the best one being downtown. They brew nearly a dozen types of beers on location. Friday fish fry is always a good time if you can make it. Plus they have billiards and a TV in every corner so you can catch some games. One should never leave Madison without going to Great Dane.
    For more info:
    http://www.greatdanepub.com/index.php

Another fun place to go is Capital Brewery - yet another place to sample some local beer. I recommend the Friday night bier garten, where you can grab a pitcher of some local brew and listen to some live music. Bring your own food, though.
    For more info:
    http://www.capital-brewery.com/hours

There is always live music available just about anywhere in Madison, too. The best way to find out what's going on where is to check out the Isthmus, which is our weekly entertainment guide. You can catch it on the internet, or you can pick up a copy of the Isthmus anywhere that you would buy a newspaper. It's free and comes out every Thursday.
    Their website:
    http://www.thedailypage.com/

Most anything you will need can be found on State Street, which is a pedestrianized street that runs from the Capital building to the University. It is lined with great local restaurants, representing many cuisines from around the world, thanks to our diverse immigrant population. There are small local shops and boutiques for clothing, books, music, gifts, as well as art galleries, etc. There are many unique shops on State Street that you just don't want to miss. I love to walk up and down State just to see all the cool things in the shops or people watch.

This is not a complete list of course - I could think of a million other things if I had the time - but these are the things I enjoy most about my city, and the first places that I always take out-of-town visitors to see. It's where the locals spend their time and enjoy many of the only-in-Wisconsin stuff with which we've grown up. I hope this helps and that you guys have a great time here!

Cheers!
    You will be no one's rival....

~Cincinnati, US Bank Arena - June 24, 2006~
    ~Chicago, United Center - Aug. 24, 2009~
    ~Columbus, Nationwide Arena - May 6, 2010~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 3, 2011~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 4, 2011~
  • PRSNT10SPRSNT10S Posts: 206
    Wow, great info! Thanks!
    Your words help me heal
    Redigested past regrets
    I see things clearer
  • LandojamLandojam Posts: 163
    How did you know i like beer! Thanks for the info. :D
    07/21/98 07/22/98- Memorial Stadium: Seattle, WA 11/05/00 - Key Arena: Seattle, WA
    07/22/06 –George, WA,
  • Head to The Malt House on East Washington or Eddie's in Sun Prairie for a LARGE beer selection.
    formerly jamestr - I took my profile picture at Alpine Valley during the RATM concert on 08/24/2007
    bump
    07/22/06 –George, WA,
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    You MUST go to the Memorial Union. It is the student union for the university, and it is located on the lake. It is open to the public, you just need to fill out a free guest pass for visitors. You can sit at the tables, chat, play cards, watch the sailboats, and enjoy a brat and a beer. It is one of the places that we take all of our visitors. Plus, it's at the end of State St., so it is really convenient to other destinations.

The other place that we take all of our guests to is the Old Fashioned. It is a restaurant/ bar on the Capitol Square that is intended to reflect "classic" Wisconsin. You MUST try their fried cheese curds; they are the best that I have ever eaten. The have a good beer selection, and it is all from WI (out of state is considered an import).

If you enjoy good beer, check out Ale Asylum. It is small, and their food selection is smaller, but the beer is outstanding, and in my opinion, the best in town. (it does require some wandering)

If you want to get out downtown, I would recommend heading over to Monroe Street. You can check out Strictly Discs; you can get a free beer while browsing the vinyl. Across the street is Brasserie V, an excellent restaurant with a great supply of Belgian beer.

You could also head over to Williamson St. It is a very chill Eastside neighborhood. The are some excellent places to grab a beer and brew (The Weary Traveler). I might also check out the Essen Haus. It is a German restaurant where you can get a 2 liter??? boot of beer. Very fun!

If you want to get a boot of beer in the downtown/ campus area, check out Dotty's Dumpling Dowry. Some people think they have best burgers in town, but I won't make that claim. (though they are good)

Keep in mind that it will probably be crazy most places you go with the return of students. Madison is a great town!!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,460
    Well let me think?

Stay away from all restaurants on East Washington going towards Eastown mall.

Hit up state street.

Go to Ale Asylum! Best beer in town!

Try Ian's Pizza on state st.

Another great restaurant and a personal favorite is Eldorado grill on Williamson st. Fantastic Tex Mex and Margaritas!

And stop by the capital and say hi to our Governor! But be ready to be thrown out by a swat team!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • I say go to the Great Dane as well. In the summertime, they serve a seasonal Watermelon Beer. It is bright pink and delicious!

Also, on campus, near the poultry building is the UW Dairy store. It is the best ice cream you will ever eat, guaranteed.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    Babcock ice cream is pretty spectacular, and it can be bought at the Memorial Union.

You like the watermelon beer? Really? I personally think it is one of the most vile things ever made...
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • bk159954bk159954 Posts: 166
    I couldn't agree more with everything that has been posted already. And if you like baseball, you should go catch a Madison Mallards game. The park they play at (Warner Park) was recently rennovated and it is beautiful. The players are college players from all over the country. They serve great dane beer at the park as well. It's pretty inexpensive to go to the game as it's family oriented. I think for $35-$40 bucks you can get into the duckblind area located down the right field line. The deal includes your ticket and all you can eat and drink. Check out the link, it will do it more justice.

http://www.mallardsbaseball.com/
  • bk159954bk159954 Posts: 166
    bk159954 wrote:
    I couldn't agree more with everything that has been posted already. And if you like baseball, you should go catch a Madison Mallards game. The park they play at (Warner Park) was recently rennovated and it is beautiful. The players are college players from all over the country. They serve great dane beer at the park as well. It's pretty inexpensive to go to the game as it's family oriented. I think for $35-$40 bucks you can get into the duckblind area located down the right field line. The deal includes your ticket and all you can eat and drink. Check out the link, it will do it more justice.

http://www.mallardsbaseball.com/

Nevermind, the mallrds are done in the middle of August.
  • 1baldwin21baldwin2 Illinois Posts: 9
    I'll second a few of the previous posts. Sharing a boot at the Essen Haus is a must. Also, walking up and down State street is a great way to enjoy the many local restaurants, shops, merchants. The Memorial Union is a great place as well, as previously mentioned. (Plus, I think it is always voted one of the best places to bring a date!) There is a biking/walking trail that goes around Lake Mendota. You can pick it up at the Memorial Union and maybe go up to Picnic Point, which is just a few mile walk. The Capital Brewery isn't downtown Madison, but is very close in downtown Middleton on the West side of Madison (about 10-15 minute drive from campus). Madison is a very fun and cool town. I miss it a lot and don't get back there enough!
  • thunderx49thunderx49 Posts: 31
    lm171851 wrote:
    After PJ20 the wife type and I are going to Madison for two nights. What should we do? Or better yet not do?
    We do not like malls or chain stores/restaurants, looking for the reel Wisconsin deal.
    Any help would be grateful, thanks. :D

I agree with everyone else, head to State Street downtown. Plenty of specialty shops and restaurants. I used to work down in that area, it was fun just people watching.
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,460
    Oh yeah I almost forgot! You need to stop by The Orpheum Theater on State St. Thursday the 1st or Friday the 2nd of September for Pearl Jam's secret warm up show before PJ20.

Just don't tell anyone.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
    Thank you all for the info on Madison! If any of you ever plan a trip to Seattle we would be happy to return the kindness. Thanks again, hope to meet you all at PJ20 if you’re going and we will not tell anyone about the secret show coco butter.
    07/22/06 –George, WA,
  • I have found myself with an extra lawn ticket for Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone in the Madison area interested? Want to car pool?

PM me. Thanks.
    formerly jamestr - I took my profile picture at Alpine Valley during the RATM concert on 08/24/2007
    Bump :D
    07/22/06 –George, WA,
  • CloneOfASonCloneOfASon Posts: 1,080
    Since you like beer.... :D (maybe, just maybe we'll make you an honorary Wisconsonite :D ) Stop in at Ale Asylum if you have time. They've got some great stuff! Can also pick up most of their stuff in local stores. eat-drink-smiley-5179.gif
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,614
    Essen Haus and Old Fashioned, also the Great Dane

edit: also the Ale Asylum
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Just don't wear a Bears shirt and walk into a dive bar. :lol:

See the House on the Rock. 8-)
  • We moved to Madison a year ago.....and unless you like beer (obviously you do and obviously that is 99% of the responses) or have a boat, there's not a lot to do. From my young experience here, State Street is the place to be and is a good time if you hit the right places. Vintage Brewing Company is a good place to go for a high alcohol content beer before going out to eat because the food is average. Great Dane is good food and the downtown location has great vibe but the bar side tends to fill up with college kids (yeah, I've outgrown that). State Street Brats.

Typical mid-west town.

And I wear my Bear & Hawkeye garb all over this town just to piss people off :lol:
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • If you like art/architecture, I'd suggest a trip out to this place. Little less than an hour west of Madison.

http://www.taliesinpreservation.org

If you're still in the beer mode after the weekend, you'll like this place. 'Bout 45 mins south of Madison.

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/general/index
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
    Typical mid-west town.
    Hey, what's wrong with that? You don't like beer??? :lol::lol::lol:;)

Yeah, I'm a transplant too, but you gotta embrace the locals. Shit, how worse can it get then a bunch of cheese-headed beer drinkers!! :lol::lol::lol::D
    Since you like beer.... :D (maybe, just maybe we'll make you an honorary Wisconsonite :D ) Stop in at Ale Asylum if you have time. They've got some great stuff! Can also pick up most of their stuff in local stores. eat-drink-smiley-5179.gif
    Sounds good Clone. Should we met you at Ale Asylum on Monday the 5th say around 6pm for my honorary Wisconsinite whatever you would call it? Or look for me at PJ20 on Saturday with the Mother Love Bone shirt and I will buy you a beer! :D
    07/22/06 –George, WA,
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Oh yeah I almost forgot! You need to stop by The Orpheum Theater on State St. Thursday the 1st or Friday the 2nd of September for Pearl Jam's secret warm up show before PJ20.

Just don't tell anyone.

I will be in Madison Thursday for the football game. We're excited about State Street and the chance to sample lots of beers.

Expecting to be there by mid-day and staying through early afternoon on Friday.

Let us know the warm-up show details & we'll ditch our football game plans ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • If you want pizza stop by falbos or get delivery. Best un town Friday before you leave town hit greenbush bakery for some great doughnuts. Like someone else said stop by the union terrace and enjoy a beer.
    Landojam wrote:
    Sounds good Clone. Should we met you at Ale Asylum on Monday the 5th say around 6pm for my honorary Wisconsinite whatever you would call it? Or look for me at PJ20 on Saturday with the Mother Love Bone shirt and I will buy you a beer! :D
    If I'm back in town by 6p sure! :D I'll keep an eye out for you Saturday too. I'll be tailgating with this group.
    Landojam wrote:
    If I'm back in town by 6p sure! :D I'll keep an eye out for you Saturday too. I'll be tailgating with this group.
    Or Tuesday, then we head home on Wednesday. :cry:
    07/22/06 –George, WA,
    Landojam wrote:
    Or Tuesday, then we head home on Wednesday. :cry:
    I made sure to take Tuesday off for vacation-vacation :lol::D Ale Asylum would definitely fit the bill :D
  • keep this updated if you decide to do an after-the-show gathering.
    I'm thinking of going to The Nightwatchman on Monday night, but might be available before/after, and might be available on Tuesday.

The Malt House has more beers and carries most of the Ale Asylum label.