Arizona: Sedona/Flagstaff Areas

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
The old ball and chain and I are Heading to Arizona on the 21st of this month. Going out for a wedding with 20 of my closest friends. Other than the grand canyon, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do?

Playing golf at the Sedona Golf Resort one day but all other days are wide open.

Thx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    My wife and I were there in August. Absolutely loved the Sedona area. We want to go back.
    There is a real nice brewery in town we went to one night.
    If you have a rental car, find a back road and drive the red dirt roads up the hills. We tore the hell out of our little car. Its where all the jeeps go on tours, but its public access.
    Are you into hiking? There are plenty of trails around. We climbed up castle rock (I think thats what its called? chimney rock or something.)
    Great time. Sedone is one of our 5 favorite places to go now. We'll be going back again.

Didn't make it to Flagstaff.
    If you've got time, drive over to Monument Valley. It's quite the drive, but there are some spectacular views.
    Our camera was going non-stop.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
    A previous thread that might be a little helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=133643&hilit=arizona+recommendations
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Thanks. Appreciate it. What restuarants did you go to. Anything worth recommending?

We have a rental and We'll be doing plenty of hiking as well.
    Maybe I was wrong, we did make it into Flagstaff. I was thinking Prescott.

Ate here. It was on Diners, drive ins, and dives (food network). It was pretty good but not great.
    I got some super pork thing, it was really good.
    http://www.salsabravaflagstaff.com/
    Salsa Brava
    2220 E Route 66
    Flagstaff, AZ 86004
    Tel: (928) 779-5293

While in Sedone we ate breakfast here. It was very interesting. Food was just run of the mill diner food.
    http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/No ... -BR-1.html

This is the brewery we went to for drinks and dinner. We really like it.
    http://www.oakcreekbrew.com/oakcreek/home.php
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,281
    Sedona is easily one of most beautiful places in the country. Was up there this last weekend for a hike.
    If you're into hiking, Sedona has a TON of great trails! I'd recommend going up to Oak Creek Canyon (just northeast of Sedona). It is amazing! Depending on the type of hiker you are, I can recommend a few good ones.
    The Sedona resort golf course is nice, but if you really want to experience some quality courses, you need to head down to the Scottsdale area...
    Same thing with Flagg. I can recommend a few really nice hikes up there too. There is also a volcano tube that is really neat. It was a lava tube that formed a thousand years or so ago. You can go down in it. Even if it's 90 degrees out, the lava tube is like 40...and everyone will need a flashlight/headlamp as it's pitch black.

As far as beer/breweries go...
    Oak Creek Brewery is just ok IMO. There is nothing really spectacular there, but it's fun to go at least once.
    If you make it up to Flagstaff, check out Beaver Street Brewery. Good beer, good atmosphere and the food is pretty good. There is also Flagstaff Brewing Co. but like Oak Creek...just ok.
    If you get down to the Phoenix area, there is Four Peaks Brewery which is pretty good. There is also Papago Brewery. It's a tiny little place without much atmosphere, but their beer menu is awesome!!! While they make their own brews, they also have some really hard to find beer on tap and in bottle.

FYI: It's going to be 107 in the Phoenix area on Sunday. ;) Sedona and Flagg are much cooler, but Sedona can heat up pretty good too.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    All these replies were useful...but I could use a few more ideas. We have 2 weeks in July/August and I need to convince the family that this could be a cool holiday. We will be driving down from Alberta...so ideas about things to see on the way , around Flagstaff and things to see besides the Grand Canyon would be great. Will probably spend 5-6 nights in the area and the rest of the trip getting there and back and probably a couple nights in Vegas.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    There's a shitload of hiking trails in the Seona area if you're into that. It's so beautiful there. 8-)
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Wow, nice to see my old hometown getting some love on here. I was born in Cottonwood and lived in Sedona for a couple years before getting moved to Vancouver. I miss it a lot. Don't know any places to go but check out Jerome, it's an old copper mining town down from Sedona with a big J on the mountain.

If you have time check out Sycamore Canyon, it was the place where my dad gave me (and my brothers) peyote for the first time when I was 16.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizon ... index.html
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    voidofman wrote:
    Wow, nice to see my old hometown getting some love on here. I was born in Cottonwood and lived in Sedona for a couple years before getting moved to Vancouver. I miss it a lot. Don't know any places to go but check out Jerome, it's an old copper mining town down from Sedona with a big J on the mountain.

If you have time check out Sycamore Canyon, it was the place where my dad gave me (and my brothers) peyote for the first time when I was 16.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizon ... index.html

I hit Jerome last June when I went. So glad I skipped the canyon for that little town. Cool shops and tons of historical stuff. I went to maynards wine bar and then hit the haunted hotel for a cocktail.
    My parents friends own Papillon Antiques, the wife and I stayed with them when we visited a few years ago.

Can't remember the name of it but another friend owns a jewelry shop that might be close to the hotel.

The Spirit Room bar is where my brothers' late godfather played banjo in a band. He was with us when we walked around Sycamore Canyon.
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Sycamore Canyon looks lovely.
    Our kids will hike. We will check out some trail suggestions.
    Last time we went on a Great American Adventure we drove down the Oregon Coast, the time before that was Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills. This is shaping up to be another great adventure.

We need some craft brew places and suggestions to try...
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

I hit Jerome last June when I went.

And he's really pissed off about that too. :P

jerome-bettis.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    And he's really pissed off about that too. :P

jerome-bettis.jpg

But if the Bus hit you, you wouldn't be walking away from that. :lol:
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pink Jeep Tour, while touristy, is fun.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"