TORNADO HITS WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS!

purple_chick79purple_chick79 Posts: 570
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YWl0Nx ... ture=share

http://interactives.wwlp.com/photomojo/ ... do-damage/

http://www.wwlp.com/

That was, by far, one of the scariest days of my life. My mom doesn't live far from the pictures of the funnel cloud. Springfield is literally 5 minutes from where I live. Towns were destroyed, it went on for hours and hours, one tornado after another.

This is something we don't see a lot of here, even though it's not unheard of.

Scary fucking shit.
Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Hope you and your loved ones are all well.

Scary freakin' weather in the States this year :cry:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Mother Nature is pissed.

4 confirmed dead...could have been worse.

We had 10 minutes of a warning to take cover.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    edited June 2011
    I live in Norwood. By the time it got to us the tornado action was done (but they had us on full alert). But MAN was that some intense lightning. There was a stretch of 20 minutes right around 9:30 where I swear the sky was continually lit by lightning.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Around 7pm it resembled midnight outside. Thankfully no funnel clouds around us.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,390
    Hope you and your loved ones are all well.

Scary freakin' weather in the States this year :cry:

We all better get used to it. It's not going away for a long time.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I guess Mother Nature decided to spread around a little. Yikes. Hope everyone is OK.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    My parents were heading up to Mass yesterday for a family funeral, luckily they were going east toward Lowell.

Scary stuff indeed.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    where's unlost
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    She's eastern Mass 81, she should be fine.

She's actually probably as far east in Mass as you can go.
    Purple, what about Max? Is he ok?

My sister went to college in Springfield. It's beautiful there. But I think all of New England is beautiful. I'm a little biased that way :D
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Crazy stuff last night. My thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost loved ones last night.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    drove right through that last night...no damage to my house, but man there are a ton of trees down. typical tornado stuff i guess...houses damaged, cars flipped, debris everywhere...4 people is 4 too many, but man it could have been a lot worse.
    I love to turn you on
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    lots of hail and rain at my house.
    I work in Worcester and they told people to get on the ground floor of our building at one point.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    We had quite a lightning display here just north of Boston. It was just constant lightning for an hour or so.

edit: That video is insane too. Wow.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • ChrissybChrissyb Posts: 122
    I live in the Eastern part of the State, the lightning was insane and hardly any thunder.. We caught a few minutes of it on tape
    Video 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgksHmsrp6Y
    Video 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLFrTjBD ... re=related
    **find what you love, love what you find**
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    how very scary for everybody!

chrissyb-crazy video!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Ok, I just got off the phone with my dad. He said they went through Sturbridge 10 minutes before the tornado hit. I had no idea they were that close to the action. He said, they looked in the rearview mirror and the whole sky was black behind them.

Thank you God for sparing my elderly parents.

I'm shaking over here, just thinking about it.
  • Pure....all are well...the funnel cloud was literally right across the street from them.

I'm glad your parents are ok :)

I'm still shaken by the whole thing. I never thought I'd see the day in New England where a twister caused that much damage.

I've seen so many people on facebook posting pics...you'd think we were in the mid west

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
    Pure....all are well...the funnel cloud was literally right across the street from them.

I'm glad your parents are ok :)

I'm still shaken by the whole thing. I never thought I'd see the day in New England where a twister caused that much damage.

I've seen so many people on facebook posting pics...you'd think we were in the mid west

so very glad to hear the purple and brother families are doing ok. I watched the video of the twister forming in CT and as it went over the river it was literally sucking the water up from the river - THE RIVER!! Do you know how powerful that has to be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fwkb-fzPcA

it's enough to make you want to crawl up in a corner and never move again. :lol:
  • If you have facebook, I'm on there...I've posted a lot of things from the storm.

I live about 5 minutes from where that tornado hit.

I was at work, which is the next town away from Monson, where it hit badly. We had a tornado code over the intercom "ALL PATIENTS TO THE BATHROOMS NOW!!!" All my years I've never heard that.

The cleanup will take a while.

What I can't understand is that when things like this happen in the mid-west, it's all you hear about for days and days. The tornado's that hit us are nothing like when the mid-west gets pounded, but this is so rare here, we have almost no warning system...seriously, 10 minutes and here it was. There were watches all day but no one takes them seriously.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
    I know, but I don't think anyone that has any type of warning system will ever take them lightly again, not after this tornado season.

I don't think there is any kind of warning here in the city, but there was a small tornado not too far from here a few weeks ago, but nothing like the extent of the ones in the mid-west or even in Mass.

It's just freaky, freaky, freaky scary stuff.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    I was on the south end bridge as this crossed the memorial bridge http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xj1xd1 ... -1-11_news

it was insane, hailing so hard I couldn't see about 15 feet or so in front of my car. The damage on main st, and then up on rifle st to springfield college is crazy, it's like a war zone down here.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm glad that you're safe (and Pureandeasy's parents!)

from that last video i just watched, did it look like it came up out of a river?
    did anyone hear what strength on the Fugita scale it was? where I live, we only get F0 to F1 tornadoes.
    I think the alabama one was F4.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more