Options

Leading world politicians urge paradigm shift on drug policy

Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
edited June 2011 in A Moving Train
I admit a raised eyebrow, seeing the name of a major player in big pharma, George Shultz, under the headline...but I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Was going to post the article in the other drug thread on pg 1, but this report might be worth following up on in it's own thread. thanks to a friend for bringing it to my attention ;)

Leading world politicians urge 'paradigm shift' on drugs policy
Kofi Annan, George Shultz and Richard Branson among those urging public health approach

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma ... rade-drugs

Former presidents, prime ministers, eminent economists and leading members of the business community will unite behind a call for a shift in global drug policy. The Global Commission on Drug Policy will host a press conference at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York to launch a report that describes the drug war as a failure and calls for a "paradigm shift" in approaching the issue.

Those backing the call include Ernesto Zedillo, former president of Mexico; George Papandreou, former prime minister of Greece; César Gaviria, former president of Colombia; Kofi Annan, former UN secretary general; Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former president of Brazil; George Shultz, former US secretary of state; Javier Solana, former EU high representative; Virgin tycoon Richard Branson; and Paul Volcker, former chairman of the US Federal Reserve.

The commission will call for drug policy to move from being focused on criminal justice towards a public health approach. The global advocacy organisation Avaaz, which has nine million members, will present a petition in support of the commission's recommendations to UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon.

The commission is the most distinguished group to call for such far-reaching changes in the way society deals with illicit drugs. Danny Kushlick, head of external affairs at Transform, the drug policy foundation that has consultative status with the UN, said current events, such as the cartel-related violence in Mexico, President Barack Obama's comments that it was "perfectly legitimate" to question whether the war on drugs was working, and the wider global economic crisis, had given calls for a comprehensive overhaul of the world's drugs policy a fresh impetus.

Kushlick described this week's conference as hugely significant. "What we have here is the greatest collection thus far of ex-presidents and prime ministers calling very clearly for decriminalisation and experiments with legal regulation," he said. "It will be a watershed moment."

Transform believes the case for overhauling the prohibition approach to drugs is now overwhelming. It quotes Nicholas Green, chairman of the Bar Council, who observed that drug-related crime costs the UK economy around £13bn a year. "Decriminalising personal use can have positive consequences; it can free up huge amounts of police resources, reduce crime and recidivism and improve public health," he said.

But while politicians no longer in office are vocal in calling for a change, incumbents appear less likely to back the idea of any radical shift in policy. In its 2002 review of UK drug policy, the parliamentary home affairs select committee, which included the prime minister, David Cameron, called for the government to "initiate a discussion" into the possibility of legalising and regulating drugs.

Despite the calls successive ministers have declined to endorse them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The only problem is that the majority are "former" leaders, thus they don't have to worry about political fallout. Current leaders will not address the issue because their opponents will use it as ammo against them.

But perhaps this is the start of trying to address a serious issue and will lead to future reform.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    the war on drugs....yet another reagan policy that has failed and is a failure still today...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    And here is the complete report by by the Global Commission on drug policy:

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... rt0601.pdf

It clearly acknowledges that the global war on drugs is a complete failure, and recommends a shift towards a more humane approach.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    this is great thing...how many people in the world would benefit? so many more than would actually be harmed by this. Cash crops in other countries would be a giant source of revenue for those struggling economies...the benefits vastly outweigh the problems.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Jason P wrote:
    The only problem is that the majority are "former" leaders, thus they don't have to worry about political fallout. Current leaders will not address the issue because their opponents will use it as ammo against them.

But perhaps this is the start of trying to address a serious issue and will lead to future reform.
    This is true...but it's the paradigm shift part that is hopeful....maybe this is the start to a new way of thinking that will eventually trickle up to the dinosaurs in office? We can hope.
    Thanks for the link, Suzi :)
    I'm going to review the report at some point and post some highlights for the non-believers ;)
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    ........ and post some highlights for the non-believers ;)

Whenever I think Non Believers I think Ned Flanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PprKGhA4k
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    [
    This is true...but it's the paradigm shift part that is hopeful....maybe this is the start to a new way of thinking that will eventually trickle up to the dinosaurs in office? We can hope.
    One bad sign is that I heard on the radio that the Feds are giving notice to the medical marijuana businesses to "look out", which sounds like the Feds are going to start cracking down.

California needs to take the lead and pass a law legalizing weed ... I think Oregon could do it, but everyone is too busy playing hacky sack and Frisbee golf. Until Cali starts the first domino, I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    this is great thing...how many people in the world would benefit? so many more than would actually be harmed by this. Cash crops in other countries would be a giant source of revenue for those struggling economies...the benefits vastly outweigh the problems.

Except wouldn't all of those cash crops stop being cash crops if they were legal. I mean the reason it is lucrative to grow poppies in Afganistan and the coca plant in South America is becuase the drugs that can be made from them can be sold for a very high price. You legalize those crops then the farmers might as well just be growing coffee or sugar or something that is cheap like everyone else.
  • Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    mikepegg44 wrote:

Except wouldn't all of those cash crops stop being cash crops if they were legal. I mean the reason it is lucrative to grow poppies in Afganistan and the coca plant in South America is becuase the drugs that can be made from them can be sold for a very high price. You legalize those crops then the farmers might as well just be growing coffee or sugar or something that is cheap like everyone else.

yes and no.....legalizing grass would increase the tax revenue of any nation...developed or undeveloped
    and
    coffee and sugar cant be used to increase hunger in cancer patients.
    and
    the ingestion of coffee and sugar wont make Led Zepplin III any better than it already is
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Cocaine, mushrooms, acid, heroin, meth, these drugs can't be legalized.
    Besides the heroin & meth, I've done (or tried ... whatever way you want to look at it) these drugs.

Mushrooms, ok, I experimented by respecting the drug and using it properly with people who were close to me. I did them in a club once and that didn't work out well. I did the funky chicken immediately after I began to peak. I've done them alone with other people around who were not on them and I certainly don't recommend that (Long Story) People will be able to not abuse mushrooms. Kids who are doing them are the same kids that will do them if they become legal. Shrooms are shrooms.

Cocaine (Powder & Rock). No chance. You can't legalize it because of it's effect on the brain. I've done this drug (powder) and by the time I was done with the drug, using it as I used it, it surely reminded me that our time together was not over. I used it when it was around in some circles. But a day came where I caught myself wanting to go and use cocaine in a circle all by myself. Impossible to have this legal. Believe me, from what I see out there, it is basically legal. Any washroom on any given night in downtown Toronto, it's there. A friend of mine died because of cocaine but before he died it took his house, car, girlfriend & family from him first. He was 25 I think. Fuck, I should know this ... anyway

Heroin. No chance to legalize it. Self explanatory. You seen 'requiem for a dream' ? Not only is this drug (and many others ) addictive but they change you. You become your fix. Chasing throughout a realm of deceit to get high all the while you navigate with the guilt, cheating yourself from being. Cheating yourself from your surroundings as you become it's whore.

Meth. No chance. Self explanatory also.

Acid. If you have done acid, you have done acid when it has been illegal. There will be no difference if it is legal because regardless of it being legalized, you still won't see tabs on the shelf at your local grocery store.

Keeping the future in mind, if these drugs I have related to above become legal, you can add to the pool of addiction 100 fold. Think about all the stupid shit alcohol creates, add 5 more drugs which compare & dominate in repercussions, and tally up that shit show. Paradigm shift ? The methodology will shift alright, into an F5 key.

Hash & marijuana ... Should have been legalize years ago but you can thank DuPont for that, and the profiteers in the prison business. The same profiteers who sent their lobby group to push through a law in Arizona not long ago.

Personally, with the drugs that end up owning a person, I really couldn't suggest an outcome if someone was caught with them. I do know a ten year sentence in a prison isn't the answer, that's for sure. For those of you who don't know, drugs are easier to come by inside.
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: New York X2
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I saw Richard Branson the other day. He walked past a pub in Holland Park I was drinking in. I should have kidnapped him. :think:
  • Options
    hostishostis Posts: 441
    in the words of Bill Hicks,

"governments say we are losing the war on drugs. Well you know what that implies? There's a war going on, and people on drugs are winning it! Well what does that tell you about drugs? Some smart, creative MFs on that side."