Options

Pearl Jam Benefit Raises $3 Million For Charity

Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 3,932
edited July 2008 in The Porch
While scouring the web for info on the possible EV solo tour, I tohught this was awesome, don't know if it's been posted or not, but if so, why not again :)

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003823184

July 02, 2008 , 2:00 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Pearl Jam packed arena-sized power into New York's 2,800-capacity Beacon Theater last night (July 1), rattling off an eclectic 26-song set list during a private show that raised $3 million for the Robin Hood Foundation's poverty fighting initiatives.

Frontman Eddie Vedder told the crowd, some of whom had paid $2,250 for floor-level seats, that he required a steroid shot in his posterior to get him stage-ready for the evening, the last show of a mini-U.S. tour for the Seattle band. Pearl Jam had played a two-and-a-half hour set the night before in Boston.

As such, the group eased its way into the show, playing seated for the first five songs, which included such obscurities as "Lowlight" and "Sleight of Hand" alongside covers of Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" and Bob Dylan's "Masters of War."

The band then shifted into its normal set, which went heavy on some of its more classic-sounding repertoire like the Motown-inspired rave-up "All Night," the sing-a-long "Marker in the Sand" and "Down," which showcased lead guitarist Mike McCready's blues-drenched leads.

Vedder was not shy about getting political, bashing the current Presidential administration's continued funding of the Iraq War and reminding the audience that the next time Pearl Jam returned to the New York area that there would be a new leader in the White House.

But the focus remained on the music, with the band offering a slew of crowd favorites such as "Wishlist," "Why Go," "Do the Evolution," "Black," "Crazy Mary," "Alive" and a thunderous, show-closing cover of the Who's "Baba O'Riley."

Pearl Jam will now transition into work on its next studio album, which will be produced by longtime collaborator Brendan O'Brien. Vedder is also expected to embark on an East Coast leg of his solo tour in August, showcasing material from his soundtrack to the film "Into the Wild" alongside deep Pearl Jam tracks and covers.

Pearl Jam's set list:

"Lowlight"
"Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"
"Sleight of Hand"
"Harvest Moon"
"Masters of War"
"Down"
"All Night"
"Corduroy"
"Even Flow"
"Light Years"
"Army Reserve"
"W.M.A."
"Marker in the Sand"
"Wasted Life" -> "Wishlist"
"Why Go"
"Do the Evolution"

Encore 1:
"Undone"
"Who You Are"
"Given To Fly"
"Black"
"Crazy Mary"

Encore 2:
"No More"
"Last Kiss"
"Alive"
"Baba O'Riley"

:D
PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, all of Vitalogy or Satan's Bed, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways (full band), You Are, Bu$hleaguer, Inside Job, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Of The Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Comfortably Numb, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    Thanks for posting - great story!!!

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    Isn't that amazing? One of the many reasons I love this band.

Wish I could've been there to hear "Wasted Life."
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    THE BEACON RULED, my favorite show of 2008
    i like sound...