Twisters or Tornadoes?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Which is it?

I know they are they same thing, but almost every news report I read uses both names and keeps alternating their use. For instance..

The twister touched down near town. People hide from the tornado. Twister damage was extensive, but those in their basements were safe from the tornado..

I know there are worse things to worry about, like the lives being effected, but the use of both terms in the same news stories drives me nuts!

Am I weird or what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Tsunami or Tidal Wave

Hurricane or Cyclone

I get your confusion
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Tsunami or Tidal Wave

Hurricane or Cyclone

I get your confusion
    I think they are called hurricanes in North America. Aren't cyclones in the southern hemisphere? Or Pacific?

But yeah, if you are going to talk about something, stick with one name or the other.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Gob wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Tsunami or Tidal Wave

Hurricane or Cyclone

I get your confusion
    I think they are called hurricanes in North America. Aren't cyclones in the southern hemisphere? Or Pacific?

But yeah, if you are going to talk about something, stick with one name or the other.

Yes, you are right, I don't think its called a cyclone too often in US

Partly sunny, chance of rain

or

Partly cloudy, chance of sun

I think they just make stuff up for the weather. I should have been a weatherman, its expected that you will be wrong a lot.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    The word "twister" is stupid and is only in common usage because of two* things:

1. That God-awful shitty movie that came out in the mid-90's (Phillip Seymor Hoffman, holla!)

2. 1800's prospectors.

Reporters should get their stuff together and stick with one term.

*No, no one plays the home game any more.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    HeavyHands wrote:
    The word "twister" is stupid and is only in common usage because of two* things:

1. That God-awful shitty movie that came out in the mid-90's (Phillip Seymor Hoffman, holla!)
    I grew up calling it a tornado. That movie did ruin it. It's like something a five year old would call it.
    Damn it, norm. You've invoked Airplane. There is no going back.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I don't know what the deal is, but here at La Casa de Unlost Dogs, the Coonhound Early Warning Storm System (CEWSS) is up to high alert as a band of lethal tornadoes works its way across Massachusetts _ this is very rare in these parts.

CEWSS high alert means the coonhound is attempting to fold her 50 pounds into a 12"x16" bin in the front hall coat nook. Medium Alert is shaking and and unwilling to move from the guest room bed, Low Alert is squeezing herself next to you, shaking.

And... here comes the lightening. If it's as bad as they say it will be, we could even see CEWSS Impending Catastrophe, which is heralded by coonhound's sudden release of various bodily fluids.

Pardon me while I go provide some cuddling and a fistful of string cheese.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    HeavyHands wrote:

that movie signaled the end of me going to a theater unless absolutely necessary...i'm still pissed i paid 10 bucks to see that

HeavyHands wrote:
    Damn it, norm. You've invoked Airplane. There is no going back.

:lol:

sorry!

Pardon me while I go provide some cuddling and a fistful of string cheese.

If your coon hound is anything like my labrador you're going to regret this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWN_AL9vrbc
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Tsunami or Tidal Wave

Hurricane or Cyclone

I get your confusion
    Hurricane is over land, cyclone is over water
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Gob wrote:

Am I weird?

yes :P

then again....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    that movie signaled the end of me going to a theater unless absolutely necessary...i'm still pissed i paid 10 bucks to see that

moooooooooo

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972
    does twistnado work for you?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    CEWSS: High Alert

photo-41.jpg
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,972

photo-41.jpg
    awww, thats sad. My honeys puppy(well 4 yrs old) just got his unmentionables snipped. He's still high.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:

photo-41.jpg
    awww, thats sad. My honeys puppy(well 4 yrs old) just got his unmentionables snipped. He's still high.

Ouch.

Miss Coonhound is still cowering there, but I am occasionally able to lure her out with Milk Bones. The storms seem to have passed for the moment, so I suspect she'll eventually unfold herself and join the rest of the group. There's no moving her until she's good and ready though _ I speak from experience.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,729
    Speaking of tornadoes- I'm told there were actually TORNADO watches around nearby Sacramento's Arco Arena today. Nothing happened, but we did get rain, thunder and lightening. This is June, this is California! Weird!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,968
    People who say twister are the ones who haven't been around an actual tornado. Twister is a zany party game. Cyclones are formed in the Southern Pacific and Indian Ocean, Typhoons in the Northern Pacific closer to Asia, and Hurricanes around North America.