Hot Doug's

hailhail8hailhail8 Posts: 269
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Can anyone give me a head's up on Hot Doug's in Chicago? I really want to try this place whilst in Chicago for PJ20. From what Ive seen online it's pretty slammed there all day...long lines and such. When's the best time to go? Does the line move fast, etc.?

Any info would be appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    hailhail8 wrote:
    Can anyone give me a head's up on Hot Doug's in Chicago? I really want to try this place whilst in Chicago for PJ20. From what Ive seen online it's pretty slammed there all day...long lines and such. When's the best time to go? Does the line move fast, etc.?

paging 81...81 please report to the thread...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    hailhail8 wrote:

paging 81...81 please report to the thread...

never been....

i suggest getting in line at 8am :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Found this online ...

Amazing, but you know it. SO here's a list for out of towners:

1. Prepare to wait about an hour to place your order. Do not go starving, or you will have to do what I did: leave the line and eat because you didn't plan. Sad, but true.

2. CASH ONLY. Sure, you have plenty of time while in line to get cash, but only if you have a partner in crime and are crazy. Know that a straight Chicago dog is commiserate to the area: about $3. BUT - the specialty dogs are $7 to $12 per, and worth it. We ate 5 dogs, duck fat fries and drinks and spent about $50. If you are crazy like us - bring moola.

3. Sit only when you eat. They say it's their system. They say it works. And they are right.

4. Know that duck fat fries are Friday and Saturday only, and that one order can feed two or more people, depending on your fry needs. One order is about $3, and is the size of one of those ubiquitous fast food boats everyone uses, nicely loaded.

5. Make sure you look at the specials. They are wickedly good.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    http://www.hotdougs.com/

make sure you check to see if they are open the day you are going
    We also take a whole bunch of holidays off, so give us a call to make sure we're open (if it's a holiday).
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    most important....don't be the guy that puts ketchup on yoru hot dog.

catsup is for fries
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    81 wrote:

hotdog 101 :thumbup:
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    81 wrote:

catsup is for fries

+1

you come to Chicago and put ketchup on your dog, we will hunt you down.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    unless something comes up sat, i'm going to head down sat for a dog
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Wow, what a menu! :shock:

(Specials for:) Today: May 28, 2011

The Game of the Week
    Pear and Port Wine Elk Sausage with Foie Gras Aioli and Aged Centenol Cheese
    $7.00

The Jack and Alec Krienen (Today's Celebrity Sausage)
    Smoked Crayfish and Pork Sausage with Shrimp Remoulade and Caraway Havarti Cheese
    $8.50

Other Specials
    Bacon Sausage with Roasted Black Garlic Mayonnaise, Caramelized Onions and Herb-Garlic Eurocreme
    $8.00

Bacon Cheeseburger Sausage with Coca-Cola BBQ Sauce and Maple-Smoked Cheddar Cheese
    $7.50

Bacon and Jalapeno Duck Sausage with Blood Orange Mustard, Goat Cheese and Lemon Sea Salt
    $7.50

Mole Chicken Sausage with Chipotle Dijonnaise and Chihuahua Cheese
    $7.50

Three-Chili Wild Boar Sausage with Chili-Garlic Mayonnaise, Raw Milk-Cheddar Cheese Spread and Crispy Fried Onions
    $7.00

Cognac-Infused Pheasant Sausage with Chive-Dijon Goat's Butter and Duck Rillettes
    $7.00

Cherry and Apple Pork Sausage with Sir William Pear Mustard and Vosges Bacon Chocolate
    $8.00

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Fleur de Sel
    $9.00

The Sonoran Dog: Jalapeno and Cheddar Beef Hot Dog with Jalapeno Mayonnaise, Jalapeno Bacon, Pinto Beans, Tomatoes and Onions
    $6.00

Smoked Yak Sausage with Bacon-Garlic Mayonnaise and Smoked Cumin Gouda Cheese
    $8.50
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392

Bacon Cheeseburger Sausage with Coca-Cola BBQ Sauce and Maple-Smoked Cheddar Cheese
    $7.50

Holy fucking shit. This right here sounds fucking awesome.

Some one get me one, vacuum seal it, snap freeze it and send it to me. Please. Fucking now. Go.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Please - not to be confused with "Hot Carl"
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    81 wrote:

Enjoy. I've only been there once and that was years ago. It's not too far from my place so I definitely need to hit this up again soon...
    81 wrote:

catsup is for fries

+1

so is it ok if I put cream cheese on my dog? :shifty:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

catsup is for fries

+1

are you stoned.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    OK, if you do go there...

1) Get a specialty sausage (that's pronounced SAH-sij, of course). Do not bother with a standard dog. It's not worth the wait. If you want a "Chicago hot dog" then go somewhere else.
    2) People swear by the duck fat fries, but I'm not crazy about them because I prefer thicker fries. The duck fat fries are too thin. If you're a fan of the shoestring-type fries, then by all means order them.
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

are you stoned.

ummmm......no comment. ;)

must be a NW thing, best thing after a concert is when you walk out, and the dog cart is right outside...they put on a huge shmear of cream cheese and a heap on grilled onions. $5 :mrgreen:

that reminds me...Mariners game tomorrow...garlic fries....

- Christopher McCandless
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Wow, what a menu! :shock:

(Specials for:) Today: May 28, 2011

The Sonoran Dog: Jalapeno and Cheddar Beef Hot Dog with Jalapeno Mayonnaise, Jalapeno Bacon, Pinto Beans, Tomatoes and Onions
    $6.00
    Damn that sounds good.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

are you stoned.

ummmm......no comment. ;)

must be a NW thing, best thing after a concert is when you walk out, and the dog cart is right outside...they put on a huge shmear of cream cheese and a heap on grilled onions. $5 :mrgreen:

that reminds me...Mariners game tomorrow...garlic fries....

must be west coast thing..i've never heard of it. do they do it in san fran too? if so, i'll try it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    That might be good on a bagel dog. But with a regular bun? I dunno...
    81 wrote:
    must be west coast thing..i've never heard of it. do they do it in san fran too? if so, i'll try it.

didn't really pay attention to the dog carts last time I was in San Fran...Ryez should know...where ARE you girl?!?
    JTH wrote:
    That might be good on a bagel dog. But with a regular bun? I dunno...

they are called 'bagel dogs', but it's more of a regular bun shape, but made out of bagel-like bread...and it's not a regular 'hot dog' they offer bratwurst, keilbasa and spicy keilbasa.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    they are called 'bagel dogs', but it's more of a regular bun shape, but made out of bagel-like bread...and it's not a regular 'hot dog' they offer bratwurst, keilbasa and spicy keilbasa.
    OK, yeah, I can see that being good, especially with some tomatoes on there as well.
  • Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    The 81 wrote:

Saturdays are CRAZY busy... to those in town Friday, I'd suggest going then. After 1:30-2pm, Line shouldnt be more than 30 minutes give or take

Also, I FULLY encourage ALL PJ fans to go here, it is well worth the wait! And be adventurous, dont just order a regular dog! I try to go at least once every 2-3 months, it is the quintessential restaurant in Chicago :!: :D
    As pointed out earlier in this thread, call to make sure they're open before you make the trek there.

Because something just occurred to me -- being that PJ20 is Labor Day weekend, there's a very good chance the place will be shut down not only on Monday but possibly on Friday as well.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    get this
    Three-Chili Wild Boar Sausage with Chili-Garlic Mayonnaise, Raw Milk-Cheddar Cheese Spread and Crispy Fried Onions

and this

Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Fleur de Sel

the wait is a hassle, its a bit out of the way, dont bother with the duck fat fries

but they make a damn tasty sausages
    call ahead and go early or late
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Hey, this place is right down the street from where I live! :mrgreen:
    If you go...expect to be standing in line for 45 minutes at least. Seriously, bring a book or a DS or something. You're going to be there for awhile, it doesn't matter what time of day you go. If you go during lunchtime on a Saturday, you're screwed.
    I went there once because they had vegetarian (meatless) tofu dogs on their menu. Not bad at all. The owner, Doug, is very nice. Seating in there is a little cramped, but last time I checked they had a few tables outside. Cash only. Call ahead to make sure they're open (he takes vacations during the summer, and the place is closed when he's gone). They're closed on Sundays, not open after 4 PM rest of the time. Have fun!
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • This sounds like a good idea for lunch today.