Bear Grylls

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else a fan of Bear Grylls? I've seen almost everything he's made. Just finished watching his series called 'Escape to the Legion'.

Best thing on t.v right now IMO.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    That series hasn't hit our networks yet, but I catch all the MvW and Worst Case Scenario episodes.

:thumbup:
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    He is awesome! Can't get enough of his shows.
    #FHP
  • Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    It's all fake.

Les Stroud ftw.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• JenfarrJenfarr Posts: 677
    It's all fake.

Les Stroud ftw.

Exactly...

http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/156631 ... ntroversy/
    "McCready played on, lending credence to the theory that he was actually built in Stone’s basement from spare truck parts and vinyl records." - Glide Mag. review of MSG 7/8/03
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Jenfarr wrote:
    It's all fake.

Les Stroud ftw.

Exactly...

http://www.thisisdorset.net/news/156631 ... ntroversy/

He's admitted that when they're not filming he stays elsewhere, and a lot of stuff also has to be planned in advance - hence the thing with the horses. They've been totally up-front about these things, and he's said that in the next series they'll show the viewers what goes on behind the scenes - with the camera crew suffering injuries, and illnesses e.t.c.

'...In an interview before the series was screened, Mr Grylls said Channel 4 told him to do what he had to in order to survive.

"They made it very clear that it could be very raw and very real."

A spokesman for the chan-nel said: "Bear does his own stunts and does put himself in perilous situations.

"Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series, but a how to' guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments."

He added: "The programme explicitly does not claim that the presenter's experience is one of unaided solo survival."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Byrnzie wrote:
    "Born Survivor is not an observational documentary series, but a how to' guide to basic survival techniques in extreme environments."

they sell it as the former and fail to mention the latter.

it's ok if you like that sort of show, but i'd rather watch a ball game
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    As for him being a fake, I think it'd be pretty difficult to fake any of the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

Everest

On 16 May 1998, Grylls achieved his childhood dream (an ambition since his father gave him a picture of Everest when he was eight) and entered the Guinness Book of Records, as the youngest Briton, at 23, to summit Mount Everest, just eighteen months after injuring his back. However, James Allen, an Australian/British climber who ascended Everest in 1995 with an Australian team, but who has dual citizenship, beat him to the summit at age 22.[25] The feat has since been surpassed by Jake Meyer and, at age 19, by Rob Gauntlett.

Grylls' expedition involved nearly four months on Everest's southeast face: From his first reconnaissance climb where Bear was almost killed in a crevasse at 5,800 metres (19,000 ft), he was knocked unconscious and came to swinging on the end of a rope, to the weeks of acclimatisation climbs involving climbing up and down the South Face, negotiating the Khumbu icefall (a frozen river), the Western Cwm glacier, and a 1,500-metre (5,000 ft) wall of ice called the Lhotse face, to the gruelling ascent with the ex-SAS soldier Neil Laughton, involving climbing for hours in the night, that took him past extreme weather, fatigue, dehydration, last-minute illness, sleep deprivation and almost running out of oxygen inside the death zone where air is three times thinner than at sea level.

To prepare for climbing at such high altitudes in the Himalayas, in 1997, Grylls became the youngest Briton to climb Ama Dablam, a peak described by Sir Edmund Hillary as "unclimbable".

Circumnavigation of the UK

In 2000, Grylls, led the first team to circumnavigate the UK on a personal watercraft or jet ski, taking about 30 days, to raise money for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI). He also rowed naked for 22 miles in a homemade bathtub along the Thames to raise funds for a friend who lost his legs in a climbing accident.[26]

Crossing the North Atlantic

Three years later, he led a team of five, including his childhood friend, SAS colleague, and Mount Everest climbing partner Mick Crosthwaite, on the first unassisted crossing of the north Atlantic Arctic Ocean, in an open rigid inflatable boat. Suffering weeks of frozen spray and icebergs, battling force 8 gale winds, hypothermia, and storms in an eleven-metre-long boat through some of the most treacherous stretches of water in the world including the Labrador Sea, the Denmark Strait, and the stretch made famous by The Perfect Storm, Grylls and his team were just barely able to finish the journey from Halifax, Nova Scotia to John o' Groats, Scotland.

Paramotoring over Angel Falls

In 2005, Grylls led the first team ever to attempt to paramotor over the remote jungle plateau of the Angel Falls in Venezuela, the world's highest waterfall. The team was attempting to reach the highest, most remote tepuis.

Dinner party at altitude

In 2005, alongside the balloonist and mountaineer David Hempleman-Adams and Lieutenant Commander Alan Veal, leader of the Royal Navy Freefall Parachute Display Team, Grylls created a world record for the highest open-air formal dinner party, which they did under a hot-air balloon at 7,600 metres (25,000 ft), dressed in full mess dress and oxygen masks. To train for the event, he made over 200 parachute jumps. This was in aid of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award and The Prince's Trust.

Paramotoring over the Himalayas

In 2007, Grylls claimed to have broken a new world record by flying a Parajet paramotor over the Himalayas, higher than Mount Everest.[27] Grylls took off from 4,400 metres (14,500 ft), 8 miles south of the mountain. Grylls reported looking down on the summit during his ascent and coping with temperatures of −60 °C (−76 °F). He endured dangerously low oxygen levels and eventually reached 9,000 metres (29,500 ft), almost 300 metres (1,000 ft) higher than the previous record of 6,102 metres (20,019 ft). The feat was filmed for Discovery Channel worldwide as well as Channel 4 in the UK.[28]

While Grylls initially planned to cross over Everest itself, the permit was only to fly to the south of Everest, and he did not traverse Everest out of risk of violating Chinese airspace.[29]

Journey Antarctica 2008

In 2008, Bear lead a team of four to climb one of the most remote unclimbed peaks in the world in Antarctica. This was raising funds for Global Angels kids charity and awareness for the potential of alternative energies. During this mission the team also aimed to explore the coast of Antarctica by inflatable boat and jetski, part powered by bioethanol, and then to travel across some of the vast ice desert by wind-powered kite-ski and electric powered paramotor. However, the expedition was cut short after Grylls suffered a broken shoulder while kite skiing across a stretch of ice. Travelling at speeds up to 50 km/h (30 mph), a ski caught on the ice, launching him in the air and breaking his shoulder when he came down. He had to be medically evacuated.[30]

Longest indoor freefall

Grylls, along with the double amputee Al Hodgson and the Scotsman Freddy MacDonald, set a Guinness world record in 2008 for the longest continuous indoor freefall.[31] The previous record was 1 hr 36 mins by a US team. Grylls, Hodgson, and MacDonald, using a vertical wind tunnel in Milton Keynes, broke the record by a few seconds. The attempt was in support of the charity Global Angels.

Northwest Passage Expedition

In August 2010 Grylls lead a team of five to take an ice-breaking rigid-inflatable boat (RIB) through 2,500 miles (4,000 km) of the ice strewn Northwest Passage. The expedition intended to raise awareness of the effects of global warming and to raise money for children's charity Global Angels.[32]
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    If you like Bear, I think you will enjoy reading Robert Young Pelton's books.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    edited June 2011
    for survival shows, I like Dual Survival- http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/dual-survival/

Cody is pretty hard core-hasn't worn shoes for 15+ years or something

as far as Bear is concerned-I believed it when he was eating bear scat, can't fake the gagging.
    Post edited by RKCNDY on
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • he's funny to watch :lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I love Bear and Les, i also really enjoy Man, Women, Wild.

manx.png
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Anyone else a fan of Bear Grylls? I've seen almost everything he's made. Just finished watching his series called 'Escape to the Legion'.

Best thing on t.v right now IMO.
    Big Bear Grylls fan!

Love MvW!

I haven't heard about that new series! :o What's it on?

I'm also starting to like Dual Survival. I didn't like it at first, but I'm starting to like Cody and Dave.
    I can't stand Man Woman Wild though. That show just pisses me off! :lol:

Despite MvW not necessarily being exactly as shown...Bear is f'n nuts!
    If lost in the wild, I'd take Bear over any other survival-guy anyday!
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    It's all fake.

Les Stroud ftw.
    I like Survivorman too!

Different shows though IMO.

You don't think Les has a beacon with him and a crew not too far away? :shock:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    for survival shows, I like Dual Survival- http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/dual-survival/

Cody is pretty hard core-hasn't worn shoes for 15+ years or something

as far as Bear is concerned-I believed it when he was eating bear scat, can't fake the gagging.
    This is okay too but really Cody seems like a puss to me. :|
    #FHP
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I like Swamp People!
    memes_bear_grylls_knife_Meme_base_12-s313x293-155524.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    As someone who does a lot of backpacking, I prefer Surviver Man for tips that I may actually use. Bear's show is a little too over the top for my tastes, although I loved the episode when he took Will Ferrell into the arctic wilderness.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I like Swamp People!

i was thinking man vs. food.

bring on the shula 48oz porterhouse. that's child play
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    This is okay too but really Cody seems like a puss to me. :|

Cody is kind of a weenie, but I love when Dave thinks he's all macho and Cody upstages him.

Man, Woman, Wild is alright...the wife bugs me though-too prissy to be out there 'surviving'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Jason P wrote:
    As someone who does a lot of backpacking, I prefer Surviver Man for tips that I may actually use. Bear's show is a little too over the top for my tastes, although I loved the episode when he took Will Ferrell into the arctic wilderness.

What? You don't plan on eating elephant poop if you get lost? :lol:

Bear's show is entertainment. Survivor Man is educational.

I prefer to be entertained, although I would watch Survivor Man if I planned on any nature hikes. I just can't stand his Canadian accent. :lol: