Beginning Guitars for Young Kids

KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
edited May 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
My niece is turning 8 and wants to play the guitar. She's a big Queen and Brian May fan.

She wanted an electric guitar but instead, her parents bought her a small acoustic. She is frustrated trying to learn how to chord.

Question: I found a beginning electric guitar "value pack" (lol) at Guitar Center.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Evo-XM ... 1452632.gc

Is an electric guitar, this one claims to be light weight, easier for a child to handle?
Would she have more "fun" because of the sustain and sounds she can get out of the amp (which is included)?
Is electric more fun to goof around with than an acoustic?

I'm looking for something with which she can have fun and maybe learn a little. If it sits in the corner and collects dust, oh well, I'm not even out $200.

I don't play guitar so any and all help would be appreciated.
I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    well i'd normally recommend that if someone wanted to start playing guitar, then they start on an acoustic - for strength mainly - so that when you start playing electric, playing the basics is easy (chords etc. not solos :lol:)
    but because she's only 8, it's a bit different - it should be about fun and enjoyment mainly so she needs to go for the instrument that she feels the happiest playing.
    if she really doesn't want to play acoustic and is losing enthusiasm and desperately wants an electric, then i suppose getting her an electric will be better for now. and she can build up her basic skills and then when she gets a bit older, if she's still playing and stuff, then she can (with a bit of work) transfer all of that back to acoustic guitar.
    and she'll develop a lot of skills on the electric guitar, she'll find it less frustrating i suppose, even though every beginner finds it frustrating. if it's financially possible to get her an electric too, i'd go for it - trust me, once she plays an electric guitar for the first time, it won't be sitting in the corner afterwards :D

for now, i wouldn't say it really matters. just whatever keeps her happy and wanting to play. i'd go for the electric if she is losing interest and enthusiasm in playing it. she'll be able to chord on acoustic guitar eventually, even on electric it'll take time if she doesn't know how to do it already. so there's going to be frustration and hard work either way

a bit of a rambly long post, sorry about that. hope it helps
  • ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    I recommend looking at a company called "daisy rock". They specialize in girls guitars. Slightly smaller body and neck sizes, and cool looking guitars. Some of my female students have them. I'd provide a link but I'm on my phone.

As far as type (electric or acoustic), if she already like queen, get an electric. Period.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm