PJ20+My Birthday Vacation suggestions

so02seeso02see Posts: 238
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
OK so I'm going to PJ 20 and its my birthday on 4th Sept so hubby is making the trip from UK with me to celebrate. To make it more interesting for him, we're going to do some touristy stuff. Neither of us are sports fans.

My questions to you are:
seeing as it's labour day weekend and all, will it be better if we take the extra days holiday before or after the PJ party?
Is it going to be any cheaper to find hotels in the week before labour day?
Will there be more going on for us to do during the week after?
What should we do? stay in Chicago for x days or travel out further?
Manchester 2000. Leeds 2006. Wembley 2007
SBE/O2 London/Manchester UK/Seattle 2/LA 2/Philadelphia 2/3/4 2009
MSG 1 & 2 2010. Dublin / Belfast / Hyde Park 2010
Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
PJ20 weekend & My Birthday party 4th Sept
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ilonaroseilonarose Posts: 39
    What a wonderful birthday trip! I do not think the price of hotels before or after would change much...I have never been to Chicago myself, (except for stop-overs in the airport, lol) so we are going for a few days after the weekend, since we have to drive thru there to get home anyway. We are driving 500 miles for this weekend, so I want to make the most of it. There are so many wonderful things to do in Chicago. Music, art, restaurants. I cannot wait to go to the aquarium there! I would really plan on a few days in Chicago if you can. There are lots of hotels there, some not too expensive, but nice! I stay in Hilton's, since I belong to their 'frequent stayer' program. Good luck and I am so happy you can come for your birthday! Please feel free to message me if there is any other ideas I can help you with, I know this wasn't much, lol.
    Cleveland, 2000
    Las Vegas, Oct 2000
    Seattle, Groundwork Benefit, Oct. 2001
    Cleveland, Buffalo, Camden 2003
    Toledo, VFC, Oct 2004
    Pittsburgh, Open for Stones, Sept. 2005
    2006 - Cleve., NJ, Pitts.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
    None but ourselves can free our minds
  • EvieVedderEvieVedder Posts: 461
    Whatever you do, make sure you get some Chicago pizza while you're in town. Gino's East= Heaven.
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Gino's East is overrated. Pequod's, and Due's (the second -- relatively unknown -- location of Uno's) and Lou Malnati's is where it's at.

P.S. It's Labor Day. Labour Day is a Canadian holiday. :geek: ;)
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    By the way, speaking of things overrated (or underrated, in this case), don't overlook Milwaukee and Madison when you're making your travel plans. If Chicago's just too expensive, you may want to look into your options there.
  • so02seeso02see Posts: 238
    Thank you everyone, you're making me look forwards to this even more now. Sorry about the Labor thing. It's always Labour over here
    Manchester 2000. Leeds 2006. Wembley 2007
    SBE/O2 London/Manchester UK/Seattle 2/LA 2/Philadelphia 2/3/4 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010. Dublin / Belfast / Hyde Park 2010
    Eddie solo NY 1 & 2 2011
    PJ20 weekend & My Birthday party 4th Sept
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i don't think hotel prices will vary much, although i would guess post holiday would be marginally lower, but that would be pure speculation.

You can find plenty to do in Chicago that isn't sports related, from clubs, muesums (art, natural history), the aquarium, plenty of food choices and shopping up and down state/michigan ave. Chicago is probally the best city within a days drive for a vacation destination.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg