New Rebel 30 head

savmansavman Posts: 230
edited May 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi all,

Hope you're all well ! :D
Just opened the box on a brand new Egnater Rebel 30 head. quite exciting, i played one of those 15w tweakers in the shop and ordered his bigger brother last week. Picked it up this morning.
Pretty happy with the tone. Really really nice cleans with my Fender and some really nice bluesy stuff on the other channel. Seem to take pedals well too. I only play it through a 410 Marshall 16ohm speaker box might eventually trade up to get a 412 with V30 celestions. And have brand new planet waves cables.

My only issue with it is that its really hissing alot on both channels. Even without a pedal board attached, guitar volume and even amp volume down1?! Ive tried almost everything. :? Then, It gets massively louder when the volume or gain is turned up. I realise there is often an expected amount of noise on tube amps but shouldnt really be that much.
I have read elsewhere that it could be faulty power tubes or something. but i am reticent to spend extra money on replacing the tubes out of the box.
I dont really want to take it back either cos the tone is pretty sweet and all of the bells and whistles are cool too.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Happy playing.
Ben
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Yeah, I love my Rebel 20. I run it through a couple AlNiCo Blues loaded into Avatar 1x12 cubes.

I keep the gain set pretty low on mine, but I've never had any issue with extra noise even when I crank it, and even with my sizable pedal board goin in the front end. Only has 1 channel so maybe that has a little somethin to do with it.

You might wanna get it checked out, try another one. I know in some of the press I read for the 20 that Bruce Egnater really tried to get it as quiet as possible.

You could also drop an email to them. Great customer service. I emailed asking about speaker configurations as I bought the matching Egnater 1x12. Long story short, they told me to take my Egnater cab back to GC and go buy a cab I found on ebay.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Ok thanks,

Live in australia so it might be difficult emailng them direct. Will probably have to go through the local reps here.
    I'll give it anther go today. Then take it back if the problem persists as i get a 10 day tube warranty.
  • Are you sure it's not a grounding hum? Maybe plug it into another outlet?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/