Options

What is Jeffs best bass line?

Comments

• Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    I know I already gave my 2 cents but is jeff honestly a great bassist? I'm only saying this because I dont play bass so i wouldn't really know. I mean, I never looked at PJ as a type of band that should have a good bassist. Sure there are a good few songs that have great bass lines but are any of them any hard to play?

PS: I don't mean to say hes bad in anyway at all.

Trust me: Jeff is widely regarded as being a "great bassist." Is he the best that ever was? Probably not, but he's better than anyone who posts on this board- and I think it is safe to say that as a working musician, he's better than 95% of his peers.

When the band goes into the Hall of Fame upon eligibility, I doubt there will be too many people wagging their fingers saying, "I don't know if we should give one of these statues to that Ament character."

That said, I'll vote for the bass line in Nothing As it Seems.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    A few of my favorites for Jeff's bass lines are Save You, Faithfull, Get Right and Present Tense.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    wma

satans bed
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Niko80 wrote:
    I really like what Jeff did in rats! Jeff had a groovy side that seems to have disappeared with Dave A.

I agree with this for the most part though I think there's some good stuff on Yield.

hmm....favorite Jeff bass line? never really thought about it. I also like Rats a lot. another one that stands out (mainly because it's so different) is All Those Yesterdays....the second verse in particular where it sort of sounds like a trumpet.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    I know I already gave my 2 cents but is jeff honestly a great bassist? I'm only saying this because I dont play bass so i wouldn't really know. I mean, I never looked at PJ as a type of band that should have a good bassist. Sure there are a good few songs that have great bass lines but are any of them any hard to play?

PS: I don't mean to say hes bad in anyway at all.

the reason i love him as a bassist is his diversity.

he has many different styles he pulls off well, and the range of basses he uses is great. The fretless and the stand-up he has in particular just sound fantastic. if i could have any 2 bases in the world it'd be those two!

some songs he just plays very simple, but beautiful melody that counteracts the guitars (Inside Job intro, Brother, Faithfull, Jeremy )

when he needs to he can deliver crazily fast, sharp and heavy lines (why go, save you, boj, satans bed). or he can be funky (WMA, Dirty Frank, PT, You Are, Sad, , or just downright low and soft and create this deep resonance in between the guitars...(eg: indifference, NAIS, Cant Keep, Sometimes, Release, Low Light)

actually come to think of it - ive just realised my favourite thing he ever wrote - MASTER & SLAVE :)
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    JordyWordy wrote:
    the reason i love him as a bassist is his diversity.

he has many different styles he pulls off well, and the range of basses he uses is great. The fretless and the stand-up he has in particular just sound fantastic. if i could have any 2 bases in the world it'd be those two!

some songs he just plays very simple, but beautiful melody that counteracts the guitars (Inside Job intro, Brother, Faithfull, Jeremy )

when he needs to he can deliver crazily fast, sharp and heavy lines (why go, save you, boj, satans bed). or he can be funky (WMA, Dirty Frank, PT, You Are, Sad, , or just downright low and soft and create this deep resonance in between the guitars...(eg: indifference, NAIS, Cant Keep, Sometimes, Release, Low Light)

actually come to think of it - ive just realised my favourite thing he ever wrote - MASTER & SLAVE :)

he wrote master/slave? that "song" is the greatest intro i have ever heard. it really gets u pumped when they play it before they get onstage.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:

funny, i was just about to post this.

Jeff once said himself that this was his personal favorite bass lick.

Weird, huh?

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    funny, i was just about to post this.

Jeff once said himself that this was his personal favorite bass lick.

Weird, huh?

:D

haha!, creepppyyyy...:D

i was surprised (1) id forgotten & (2) everyone else had forgotten too! :)
    i remember reading that myself, and he said something about just looping it and messing around in the studio with Rick Parasher...ahh, i could listen to that on loop for hours!

and to 12345against, your spot on, as a concert intro it just beats everything hands down!....i listen to it and close my eyes and - just for moment - im standing front row, watching the guys walk out.... ;)
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    dont forget the re intro into rvm after the jam

sweet
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Present Tense
    Corduroy
    Sad
    Rats
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    annenomiesannenomies Posts: 165
    Love the bass when they do Crown of Thorns
  • Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    Army Reserve!!!!
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    WMA and Rats
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    annenomies wrote:
    Love the bass when they do Crown of Thorns

chloe dancer is top 3
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Present Tense
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    My favorites are: Jeremy, Wash, Why Go, Save You and WMA.

However.....Hey Foxy has the best goddamn bassline on Vitalogy. Better than Not for You, Immortality, Tremor Christ, and Corduroy.
  • Options
    Cant Believe nobody mentioned Brain of J
    10-3-05 Philly
    5-27-06 Camden
    Hada Sell Bonaroo ticks
    6-22-08 D.C.
    10-28-09 Spectrum Philly
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    My favorites are: Jeremy, Wash, Why Go, Save You and WMA.

However.....Hey Foxy has the best goddamn bassline on Vitalogy. Better than Not for You, Immortality, Tremor Christ, and Corduroy.

Jeff didn't play on Foxy, as far as I know. I heard that was Ed, Jack and Brendan.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Jeff didn't play on Foxy, as far as I know. I heard that was Ed, Jack and Brendan.
    Well nevermind then if it wasn't him. It's awesome still if he didn't write it.
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430

No, Jeff played on the song. I believe you're thinking of I Got Shit, which Brendan did play on.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Where's the love for Leatherman?

That said, Habit, when it kicks off for the jam at the end, especially live, is fantastic. And he carries the band in Oceans.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Where's the love for Leatherman?

That said, Habit, when it kicks off for the jam at the end, especially live, is fantastic. And he carries the band in Oceans.

Does Leatherman really feature the bass that much? It's been a while since I listened to it. Love it. But does it belong here?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    At the end of Blood on the studio recording, Jeff goes nuts. It's awesome.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    jeffs best bass line is that little part at the beginning of EVENFLOW where he slides it!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Breath. I love that old school fretless bass PJ sound...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Cant Believe nobody mentioned Brain of J

i did! its class!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    At the end of Blood on the studio recording, Jeff goes nuts. It's awesome.

Can't believe i forgot that! When I first got into live PJ boots i would ALWAYS listen for jeff going nuts at the end. That little bitch always half asses it!!!! :D
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Does Leatherman really feature the bass that much? It's been a while since I listened to it. Love it. But does it belong here?

Have a listen... he doesn't really carry the tune, but he's in the background through the whole song, putting in these little licks that give the song its 'pop' quality.
  • Options
    No love for "Pilate"?

Stunned by my own reflection
    It's looking back, sees me too clearly
    And I swore I'd never go there again

Some awesome Ament work on that tune.

I love his bass work on "Go", which is straight up mind blowing!
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    You Are