Calgary.. stuck there for 2 months

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
anything interesting to do ?

So far, i'll get my motorbike in about 2 weeks. I think it'll be interesting as the city is very close to the mountains...

I'll be staying downtown on the 5th avenue.. Is there any great bars, great venues, or anything else to see?

thanks
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cow tipping?
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    I used to work on 4th Ave. If you like a good burger you should go to Lounge Burger. I think it is on 11th Ave? It is near Victoria Park/Stampede station. There is a cool little pub on maybe 12th Ave??? Called the Vicious Circle..or is it Cycle? :?

There is a cool live music place on 17th? I want to say it is Morgan's? Sorry I was really drunk the last time I was there. I have a friend that always hangs out at the Ship & Anchor on 17th, I could see if she could show you around? LOL. I don't bike but I know there are some good trails. Fish Creek park is really popular for that. Locals can direct you.

You could see if any bands are playing at the Corral Centre or Flames Central. PM me if you have any questions. I think are some Calgarians about here though that could direct you!
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    What kind of things do you like to do? Do you like craft brews? Live Music? Pick up a FFWD magazine and take a look at what is going on. We are only a half hour from the mountains...it doesn't get more beautiful than Banff... We find a lot to do...but we are old with kids...
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I would like to be stuck in Calgary for 2 months.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    my best friend's been stuck there for three years. just stay positive and remember that he has it worse :D. kidding though, i'm sure calgary's a great place and you'll have no problem having a blast there.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,688
    cow tipping?

:lol::lol: VERY CANADIAN
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    we spent the last night at the Ranchman's..

we had a really great time.. Probably be there again next weekend.

good looking barmaids in the shack !! (:

@Small town beck: Thanks for the infos, i'll try there for sure in the next upcoming days. Only working 16@23, so I get enough time to spend in the city. Actually, I'm living at the Hotel 5 ( corner of both 5 Ave SW streets ) .. thanks

@Guitar59: Well, to be honest, it's really great so far.. I'm going with a friend to a little city nearby where they filmed a few Star Trek shots. You right, Banff is really great, and i'm expecting to get there next week. Just waiting for my motorbike to get shipped here.
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    McCready00 wrote:

@Small town beck: Thanks for the infos, i'll try there for sure in the next upcoming days. Only working 16@23, so I get enough time to spend in the city. Actually, I'm living at the Hotel 5 ( corner of both 5 Ave SW streets ) .. thanks

@Guitar59: Well, to be honest, it's really great so far.. I'm going with a friend to a little city nearby where they filmed a few Star Trek shots. You right, Banff is really great, and i'm expecting to get there next week. Just waiting for my motorbike to get shipped here.
    Are you going to Vulcan? They have an Enterprise there.
    Go to El Sombrero if you like Mexican food, Wild Rose Taproom for good microbrews, Rose and Crown for a nice pub atmosphere...we have a great zoo...is Ranchman's still fun? I have not been in 17 years or so...
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    McCready00 wrote:

Yeah I know where you mean. I used to work by there on my way to work. Ahhh this made all nostalgic for Calgary. Enjoy :)

You probably don't have the time but if you get a long weekend off, you should totally go up to Jasper. I loved it there!!!