Options

Parking & Driving in DC

peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I am going to the first show in DC to see Ed.

What is the parking situation like - it looks like there a quite a few parking garages near the Warner Theater. I've only been to DC a few times but have never driven there myself and I know parking can sometimes be a problem.

Also what will traffic be like? I am not staying anywhere in DC so I am driving to the show on Saturday and going home right after the show. If it matters, I live about 2hrs away in Seaford, Delaware.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    The easiest thing to do is park at the Metro and take that in. On Saturday night it runs to 3 AM so it will be no problem getting in and out.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Super_FanSuper_Fan Posts: 249
    Either take the Metro and park or park for $20 near Gallery Place and take the metro/walk to the show.
    Tour '08
    Destroying DC Scum.
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    http://www.warnertheatre.com/parking.htm ...I'm sure you've seen this, but yeah, it seems like the majority of parking garages are going to be around 20 bucks. No use in parking far and taking the metro if you're going to pay 20 bucks wherever you end up.

Traffic isn't too horrible, just give yourself plenty of time. It's okay if you're early, the theater is in a nice area and there's a few things to do. The aquarium is near :)
  • Options
    Seriously, the parking is terrible. The traffic is worse. You should really just sell your tickets to someone, stay home and watch TV!!!

I'll gladly buy them! ;)
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    I always park at Greenbelt or New Carrolton and metro in. I haven't scoped which line I need to be on for this, but that would be my plan.
  • Options
    Get in early and park on street for free or for very cheap--there is a ton of metered spots that you can park in a few blocks northwest of this area. Traffic on weekend afternoons in DC is really not that bad. I followed this plan for the show at the Verizon center (it was a Sunday show) and it worked fine.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    good luck finding your way around in that hell hole.

4 grids- each grid has the same numbers and street names, just figure out what quadrant you need to be in. Just throw out all logic in trying to figure out the numbers and e/w/n/s it is all messed up
  • Options
    ProgFan511ProgFan511 Posts: 51
    Driving in DC especially around all those government buildings is the fn worst.

Parking is 40 times worst then driving through it.
    6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    mfc22mfc22 Posts: 106
    you can park for free at my place...i will even drive you to the metro.

i am not a creep. i am engaged. just love for eddie
    ...if she's gone i can't go on feelin' 2 foot small...
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    mfc22 wrote:
    you can park for free at my place...i will even drive you to the metro.

i am not a creep. i am engaged. just love for eddie

now thats gracious.......
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Waht time does AAmtrak run until? they go all night right? that may be my play that day...

--just checked ..nevermind, I could fly for cheaper...lol
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 207
    I'd park at one of the outlying metros and take that in. Parking should be free on the weekend (haven't parked at one in a while since I live 4 blocks from a metro now), no worries about traffic, finding a place to park or paying $20 to park (metro will be $5-6 round trip from most outlying stops).
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    I went to DC to see PJ at Verizon Ctr.. It was AMAZING how little traffic, and easy parking was to locate. There are garages EVERYWHERE, we got into one for $15 and right next door was a $25 lot. got right out of the city after the show...VERY strange. I am used to waiting in traffic for 45 minutes after shows. Metro is not necessary. It is a 2,000 person venue. you can park anywhere...
  • Options
    I remember the first time I visited DC back in January I parked somewhere on 11th st I believe and walking my freezing ass all the way to the white house and all that other shit down there...i'm sure it's where I will park for the EV show, it's not going to be as cold, so I won't mind the walk :D
    "I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, 1977
  • Options
    dumbekdumbek Posts: 10
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    good luck finding your way around in that hell hole.

4 grids- each grid has the same numbers and street names, just figure out what quadrant you need to be in. Just throw out all logic in trying to figure out the numbers and e/w/n/s it is all messed up

It's not so hard, really. For the streets, the numbers run North/South. The letters run East/West. As for the quadrants, unless you have a very specific reason to be elsewhere, you should be in NW. If you end up elsewhere, you should probably turn around. The intersection of all 4 quadrants is the Capitol Building. That's where the numbers/letters start and work their way out.