Wasting Light: Foo Fighters

FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
edited June 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I love this album. 8-)

Anyone try to learn any of the songs on guitar?

I find it kind of difficult to attempt this one because many songs have 2 or 3 guitar parts....

Anyone have some good tabs?
2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sabreleafsabreleaf Posts: 310
    Hard to make it sound good solo since they do have 3 guys playing at once. Great LP.
  • PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    What a great album. The best since Color and the Shape....
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pontikas wrote:
    What a great album. The best since Color and the Shape....
    This!

And I tend to play them acoustically, so I strip it down and go from there.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ChrisMarinoChrisMarino Posts: 44
    Great record!

If you're a fan, check this....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaIdBSKUbf0
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Seeing them in concert tomorrow night, with Motorhead, on my birthday.

Haven't dug too deep into the new album, but enough to know the songs. We'll see how they work live.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • It's a descent album. But I haven't been really knocked over by anything of theirs sense There is Nothing Left To Lose.

Seen them live a couple times. Descent show to see every few years.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Great record!

If you're a fan, check this....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaIdBSKUbf0

The documentary was ridiculously good for sure. Actually helped me except my song writing and band member traits after hearing a few of "Dave's Stories".
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Just back from the show... just over two and a half hours of Foo, plus an hour of Motorhead.

The FF had a hell of a stage setup, an LED screen floor on the stage and a catwalk to the back of the house, very snazzy. No unusual gear sightings, although I can confirm that Dave plays Fender Supersonic heads plus two custom heads that look just like Supersonics (labeled "Custom Audio Amplifier" if I remember correctly). I took a pic with my cell phone over the rail from the bowl, so maybe I'll upload it somewhere once I transfer all that crap onto my computer. Dave played mostly his sig. model (like a 335, but with different soundholes; pelham blue), but also rocked a teal green Firebird, and what looked like a black 339.

The new songs play well live, compare well to the older material. But I started to get a little annoyed at Dave's bad habit of taking a 4 minute rock song and turning it into a 10 minute jazz odyssey to stretch the setlist. I don't mind a little extended jamming, or adding some dynamic changes to a popular song, but they added too much. Maybe I'm just getting old.
  • Just back from the show... just over two and a half hours of Foo, plus an hour of Motorhead.

The FF had a hell of a stage setup, an LED screen floor on the stage and a catwalk to the back of the house, very snazzy. No unusual gear sightings, although I can confirm that Dave plays Fender Supersonic heads plus two custom heads that look just like Supersonics (labeled "Custom Audio Amplifier" if I remember correctly). I took a pic with my cell phone over the rail from the bowl, so maybe I'll upload it somewhere once I transfer all that crap onto my computer. Dave played mostly his sig. model (like a 335, but with different soundholes; pelham blue), but also rocked a teal green Firebird, and what looked like a black 339.

The new songs play well live, compare well to the older material. But I started to get a little annoyed at Dave's bad habit of taking a 4 minute rock song and turning it into a 10 minute jazz odyssey to stretch the setlist. I don't mind a little extended jamming, or adding some dynamic changes to a popular song, but they added too much. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Not a Mesa or a Vox? Yikes that new..

On your point about the 10 minute odyssey, That's my biggest downfall with the Foo Fights live. It drives me absolutely nuts. But I agree maybe I'm to old for that too. After watching the documentary it appears that they did a change to the live show in that direction after the first few albums. So I probably should of just scene them live back then...

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'll take the jazz odysseys over cutting off every line with "OHHHH YEAHHH!!!!" a la the early 2000s. at least he's singing better these days

watching them play the whole record on letterman it appears dave is playing 90%+ of wasting light in standard tuning.

they are coming here. concert to be announced in a couple of weeks. i should probably go.
    Just back from the show... just over two and a half hours of Foo, plus an hour of Motorhead.

I gotta check out this tour... And damn, those DG-335s are my dream guitar, or at least a pelham blue 335.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    As promised, here's the pic:
    DaveGrohlRacks.jpg

I was pretty sure that there was a THD Hot Plate (purplish blob in photo) in the rack above, and then two Supersonics and two Custom Audio Amplifiers. They were lidding up pedalboards when I got to the side-of-stage area, so I didn't get any pics, but someone in the band had a MicroPOG and a Line6 M13 on their board. Dunno whose that was.

I can also mention, for whoever is interested, that Chris was playing through a pair of Vox combos (looked like AC-30's, white tolex) and a single Fender tweed reissue; could be Bassman or Twin, but it looked more square like a Bassman.
    I gotta check out this tour... And damn, those DG-335s are my dream guitar, or at least a pelham blue 335.

I've really been gassing for one of the limited pelham blue 339's. But that's way more scratch than I can talk my wife out of.
    i think chris is playing a bassman. the white tele deluxe he's playing is a self-cobbled warmoth.

seems to me pat was playing though a peavey or something on letterman. didn't get a close look.

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/p ... at_id=cat6
    exhausted wrote:
    i think chris is playing a bassman. the white tele deluxe he's playing is a self-cobbled warmoth.

seems to me pat was playing though a peavey or something on letterman. didn't get a close look.

Interesting!

As for the 339s, although I'd prefer them feel wise, they look funny.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i'll take the jazz odysseys over cutting off every line with "OHHHH YEAHHH!!!!" a la the early 2000s. at least he's singing better these days

watching them play the whole record on letterman it appears dave is playing 90%+ of wasting light in standard tuning.

they are coming here. concert to be announced in a couple of weeks. i should probably go.

Nope still does that too..

• exhausted wrote:

Is Pat playing T-60's? My buddy has two. And they are actually really nice pieces. Heavey as can be, but nice. T40 bass's are great too. Nice and thick...

edited May 2011
    i dug a little and it appears they are peavey 6505s. i guess he's an endorsee. i don't know anything about them.

his guitars are mostly hagstroms plus a cobbled hag with a warmoth baritone neck. he's got a baritone jag or two as well.
    Post edited by exhausted on

dammit. he didn't much on letterman. that basically ruined the "everywhere but home" DVD for me.
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    exhausted wrote:

dammit. he didn't much on letterman. that basically ruined the "everywhere but home" DVD for me.

If you add "HERE WE GO!" to that, you could probably make a really fast working drinking game out of that.
  • Adam IAdam I Posts: 13
    I absolutely LOVE Wasting Light, i've learnt all the songs (except for "matter of time") and i play them all each everyday xD. I reckon its the best album since "there is nothing left to lose"