Options

Silverchair finished....

No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
edited November 2013 in Other Music
From Silverchair's F/book page- sad news..

We formed Silverchair nearly 20 years ago when we were just 12 years old. Today we stand by the same rules now as we did back then ... if the band stops being fun and if it's no longer fulfilling creatively, then we need to stop.

Therefore after much soul searching we wanted to let you know that we're putting Silverchair into "indefinite hibernation" and we've decided to each do our own thing for the foreseeable future.

We assure you that this decision has not been taken lightly. In fact we've been struggling with it for quite a while now.

Back in 2009 we went into the studio to start work on a record. Initially things were going well and as a result we did some shows in 2010 to maintain creative momentum. However, over the months that followed in the studio it became clear to us that we were moving in different directions. Despite our best efforts over the last year or so, it's become increasingly clear that the spark simply isn't there between the three of us at the moment.

As a result we've decided to put the band into 'a deep sleep' while we all do other things that we find more inspiring right now. This means that Silverchair won't be making music together or playing shows any time soon. It also means that the three of us won't be working together unless and until it feels right again.

We understand some of you may be disappointed by this news but we really see it as a liberating and positive step for us at this point in our lives.

We also want to make it really clear that this decision has been made with the best possible intentions. We've always tried our hearts out to make the best music we could possibly make at the time - regardless of commercial consequences.

The three of us still truly care about each other. At the moment Ben’s busy in the studio recording his own music, Chris is working on various business, musical and charitable ventures while Daniel is creating a film soundtrack and working on other musical projects. We hope you'll continue to take an interest in our individual work over the years ahead.

In closing we'd like to acknowledge all the people 'behind the scenes' who've helped us keep this train on the tracks since we first started playing in a garage. There are too many to name but they know who they are and we truly appreciate all their love and hard work.

Above all though we want to thank you for all your support in good times and bad. You've put up with our long breaks between albums, our constantly changing musical styles and lots more. The unbelievable loyalty we've been shown by you our audience, and our friends, has never gone unnoticed or unappreciated. That’s why we wanted to tell you first.

With Sincere Thanks For Your Understanding.

Sweet Dreams.

Daniel, Ben and Chris

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
*BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
*BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
*QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
*EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
*Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
*EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    I don't think they were appreciated enough outside of Australia.

Everyone remembers the first album probably but the later albums have really epic songs. Daniel Johns is extremely talented. Just out of coincidence I was listening to them yesterday.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    That's a shame, I really liked Silverchair - and I mean the early as well as the recent stuff, I thought they had shown some good development over the past couple albums. I never got to see them live though, and by the sound of this it seems like I never will either. :|
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    My second favourite band, after Pearl Jam =[

So devastated to hear this news! Was looking forward to the next album. Neon Ballroom + Diorama are the 2 most amazing albums ever. And Young Modern is so underrated, that album was still amazing.

Hope they get back together in the future!
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Options
    stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    Pontikas wrote:
    I don't think they were appreciated enough outside of Australia.

Everyone remembers the first album probably but the later albums have really epic songs. Daniel Johns is extremely talented. Just out of coincidence I was listening to them yesterday.

I love silverchair...this is definitely a shame. Maybe they'll pick it back up in a few years...who knows.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I was hoping then I opened this thread I thought it would say "...recording a new record". No dice though.

I don't want to point fingers at all, but Paul Mac has had quite the impact on Dan. I love the Disscociatives album, but I think that sound carried over too much into Young Modern. Don't get me wrong, Young Modern is fucking amazing but you could almost see where Dan was going in a totally different direction.

To me, I was hoping they would continue the formula of working with Van Dykes Park and adding beautiful strings to even the heavy songs. Diorama is a perfect album. Neon Ballroom and Young Modern are so underrated. Emotion Sickness may be one of the best album opening songs of all time. Same can be said for Across the Night.
  • Options
    I'm so bummed. One of my fav bands of all time and fav voices.

Though, I was not in love with the direction they said they were going musically after Young Modern (most new material was said to have limited to zero guitars) I always respected the creativity they challenged themselves with. Diorama is brilliant in my opinion.

Damn. Waiting til tomorrow..................
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I honestly didn't even know they were still around. That "Frogstomp" album got some radioplay around here, but the album after that bombed hard, and I had never heard of them again. That's been 15 years or so. I remember going with my buddy to buy "Freak Show", it was like a week or two after it came out. He couldn't find it and had to ask the guy at the counter where it was, it turned out they had already tossed them in the bargain bin.

I was looking at Wikipedia to see what they've been up to all these years, out of curiousity, and I found this:

"The release of Freak Show was originally slated for the autumn of 1996; it was later pushed back to avoid competition from Pearl Jam's No Code."

Don't know if it's true or not, it is Wikipedia after all and there is no citation, but that would have been a good idea if true. Back then you didn't try to go toe to toe with a Pearl Jam release.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    hmm, that's too bad. i only have frogstomp and freak show, and just listened to frogstomp last week. was thinking that it's actually aged pretty well - despite all the shit they kind of got back then.

have never heard any of the later albums, but i hear they are good. what's the best/most representative record from post freak show?
  • Options
    Sappy113Sappy113 Posts: 178
    I was hoping then I opened this thread I thought it would say "...recording a new record". No dice though.

I don't want to point fingers at all, but Paul Mac has had quite the impact on Dan. I love the Disscociatives album, but I think that sound carried over too much into Young Modern. Don't get me wrong, Young Modern is fucking amazing but you could almost see where Dan was going in a totally different direction.

To me, I was hoping they would continue the formula of working with Van Dykes Park and adding beautiful strings to even the heavy songs. Diorama is a perfect album. Neon Ballroom and Young Modern are so underrated. Emotion Sickness may be one of the best album opening songs of all time. Same can be said for Across the Night.

Yea, Diorama was, imho. the high point of their work. Was so amazing from start to finish. I loved Young Modern as well, but by then, it was quite obvious Daniel Johns was pulling in another direction musically and was directing the evolution of the band. Didn't really seem like he was into the whole rock band thing too much anymore, which is fair enough (I could be wrong here, I never saw them on their later tours, they didn't hit Europe very much). But the Chair was always one of my favorite bands since the start. I remember my high school days back when Frogstomp was released, bunch of us rocked those songs at all the partys, got drunk and fucking screamed along to those songs. Good times, good band, will miss them.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Diorama also has one of the best b-sides ever recorded in "Asylum". I'm a sucker for those Dan at the piano tunes, but "Asylum" is amazing and easily could have made the album.

Young Modern had some great b-sides as well. Barbarella, Hide Under Your Tounge, We're Not Lonely...But We Miss You and English-Garden.

All damn good songs.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,948
    they totally lost me with diorama, i have all the albums up to and including it.

frogstomp is a true classic. sad news.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    I am really disappointed by this news. Silverchair is my second favorite band and I consider Diorama a masterpiece. I woke up to three emails and my first thought was "finally" news on the new album. It seems like we have been waiting a year to give us a new update. Unfortunately, it is not the news I was expecting. They put out 5 great albums in almost 20 years, never got the respect they deserved. I look forward to seeing what they do individually. I will miss them.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,183
    Too bad.... : (

Diorama & YM are brilliant records. Now I know what I'm listening to on the way to work tomorrow...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,325
    That's a shame, I was looking forward to seeing which direction the new album would be going in. I got to see them at their hometown show on the 'Across The Geat Divide' tour with Powderfinger, it was such a great show it's sad to think that both of those bands have called it a day.

My favourite Daniel Johns moment was at Lollapalooza in 2007. I think it was during 'Freak' when he said to the crowd "Come on Chicago, sing it like we're still famous!" Classic.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    as an aussie ex pat it's sad news for sure... i hated silverchair until they challenged themselves on neon ballroom and onto YM... Diorama was a great album a masterpiece you could say. Sad daniel johns always pushed back stardom which was great to me anyway. Sad day for australan music.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Ben keeps posting on twitter this is not a breakup & to read to fine print. I have to assume its only to leave the door open for a possible reunion in the future or another greatest hits record.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,037
    :( Was never a huge fan, have their first three albums and a few songs off each of their last two. Liked them though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    That's a shame. Even though Young Modern has never grown on me, I like the rest of their catalog. Diorama is a freaking masterpiece, and Neon Ballroom's not far behind. Ana's Song (Open Fire) is one of my all-time favorite songs and also one of my all-time favorite music videos.
    Glorified version of a pelican
  • Options
    wonder if these guys will ever reunite. Was listening to Frogstomp just now and totally reliving that time.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    wonder if these guys will ever reunite. Was listening to Frogstomp just now and totally reliving that time.
    would do anything for that. D Johns has some solo stuff coming out in 2014
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I wouldn't call it a "favorite moment" but it was definitely memorable: I'm pretty sure it was on the Frogstomp tour (definitely at the height of their popularity), and they were between songs and the audience was screaming. I assume Daniel Johns must've spit to the side, clearing his throat, but what I heard was a horrified Johns saying into the mic "What? What? Did you just say you want me to spit on you??? That's disgusting! Uuuugggghhhh!!!"

I remember thinking "Oh, this poor kid, he's so young and he's dealing with the insanity of manic girls desperate for attention, he sounds totally traumatized! I hope he makes it through this..." I assume he did make it through, I didn't really keep up with them after this, but I thinkt his seems like a great message to fans and it makes all the sense in the world.

I wish them all the best of luck....
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,993
    For those interested Silverchair have just appeared on Australian TV program ‘Australian Story’ on the ABC. It’s a two part program looking at their early success and subsequent struggles. Chris and Ben agreed to appear but probably as expected, Daniel didn’t. Only part 1 has aired so far with part 2 to follow. I’m sure Australian fans will be able to see it on ABC IView, I’m not sure about overseas viewers!? It is certainly worth a look if you’re a fan of the band. 🤘
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Daniel did a podcast series within the last few years. Highly recommend listening and is a deeper dive. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,993
    Daniel did a podcast series within the last few years. Highly recommend listening and is a deeper dive. 
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    It’s on Spotify. I don’t think he’s ever opened up like this before. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    There was a fantastic interview with Daniel recently before the Silverchair exhibit opened. It was compelling, and really quite tough to watch. It left no doubt that there are some serious issues between the band members and a reunion really isnt ever going to happen. 

Daniel was super raw and open in that interview and whilst I knew he had had demons over the years and some issues, I had never understood how much he had struggled. 

an essential watch, as hard as it is, for any fan
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    There was a fantastic interview with Daniel recently before the Silverchair exhibit opened. It was compelling, and really quite tough to watch. It left no doubt that there are some serious issues between the band members and a reunion really isnt ever going to happen. 

Daniel was super raw and open in that interview and whilst I knew he had had demons over the years and some issues, I had never understood how much he had struggled. 

This is what I was talking about. Very very well done. 

https://open.spotify.com/show/73Ed659YIeD2ehM3gw1Nf7
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

This is what I was talking about. Very very well done. 

https://open.spotify.com/show/73Ed659YIeD2ehM3gw1Nf7
    Yeah unreal talent but just not emotionally strong enough for what comes with such success! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    https://youtu.be/Mk7XC-wpfHY?si=yvchiIz8U8iBMtO4

Part 2 not sure how long it will be up