At a tuff stand still with the wife....

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
We have been married for 9 years with two beautiful children. All in all, we have a great family and marriage.
But....we are complete opposites!
Different taste in music, movies, health, how to raise the kids. What to feed them and us.
I eat healthy and try to exercise 5-6 days a week. Her...nada.
So our biggest problem is we live in a great large 4k square foot home on an acre. Great place. Great neighboorhood. BUT...the school district is BAD. Real bad. And we are stuck in the neighboorhood bc everything is driving distance. but she wants to stay bc she loves the huge house ( we got lucky on a bank foreclosure) Which is why we got the house so cheap. Its worth over double now even in this market.
So Problem is...I want to sell it and move 30 minutes away to where I grew up. Awesome town, everything is a bike ride away. Kids all ride bikes to school ,very safe, very clean, family town with great school district. Taxes are high and we cant afford this size house there but so what!
She wants the big house. I want the smaller house with great town and location and GREAT schools.

I know I make much more sense then she does obviously :D But We are really fighting over this one. need help....she gets mad bc i always bring it up.
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    If I recall correctly, you're down in Cape May aren't you?

Where are you looking to move?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,973
    Home school? Private?

Strapped for cash to do this? Sell more peanuts!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    How do you both remember where i live and what i do? lol wtf? I have not been here in ages.
    The private school is $$$ and is not that great. Almost 30 bus ride.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Home school? Private?
    Careful!
    31474374:jpeg_preview_large.jpg?20110517040325
    How do you both remember where i live and what i do? lol wtf? I have not been here in ages.

:lol:
    I remember when you first joined, we had a discussion about Cape May.

Either that or I'm a stalker. :D
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    move to alaska
    they have schools up there
    small, medium, and large homes alike
    they have bike riding and family style towns too
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

:lol:
    I remember when you first joined, we had a discussion about Cape May.

Either that or I'm a stalker. :D
    To funny. Yea I tend to leave an impact on most. Good and bad. :twisted:
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    If it's a matter of not being able to afford the big house, I don't think your wife really has a leg to stand on here.

But I will say, if the kids are young, this is the time to move. Just ask my father, he tried to move us from Philly to DC when the five kids ranged from 6th grade to seniors in high school. Needless to say that didn't go over well with the older kids. He proceeded to commute from the Philly area to DC for 18 years before he retired.

Just something to think about. Once the kids are settled with friends and school, it's hard to move them.
    If it's a matter of not being able to afford the big house, I don't think your wife really has a leg to stand on here.

But I will say, if the kids are young, this is the time to move. Just ask my father, he tried to move us from Philly to DC when the five kids ranged from 6th grade to seniors in high school. Needless to say that didn't go over well with the older kids. He proceeded to commute from the Philly area to DC for 18 years before he retired.

Just something to think about. Once the kids are settled with friends and school, it's hard to move them.
    We can afford it cause we bought it cheap which is great bc the home is fantastic. But again the area is almost an hour from where we both work, and its schools are bad. The kids are still young 4 and 1 1/2.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

We can afford it cause we bought it cheap which is great bc the home is fantastic. But again the area is almost an hour from where we both work, and its schools are bad. The kids are still young 4 and 1 1/2.

The almost hour commute would be a deal breaker for me... Even if you can cut that down to a half hour, that's an hour a day... 5 more hours a week that you could spend with the kids. I'd like the acre of land, but to me, a 4k sq ft home seems like a bit much. Hell, our house is half that size and it's a pain to clean.

Maybe she doesn't want you moving closer to home? Who knows... it could be anything... Good luck...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    bribery
    EXACTLY!
    We would have so much more time with the kids and family!
    AND another big issue is that we cant ever make it to their after school sports bs of the time we get home every day. Its FUCKED. Talking about it bothers me so much. How does she not see theses things as problems for our family? And the cleaning sucks ass. Its so hard to keep clean. That much space is so unneccessary.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    EXACTLY!
    We would have so much more time with the kids and family!
    AND another big issue is that we cant ever make it to their after school sports bs of the time we get home every day. Its FUCKED. Talking about it bothers me so much. How does she not see theses things as problems for our family? And the cleaning sucks ass. Its so hard to keep clean. That much space is so unneccessary.

You missed Mother's Day, but is there a birthday coming up? Forgo a gift, blame it on the tax bill and see how that goes over.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    can you sell this house or rent it out? that's what I'd do....
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Stick with the big house for a while. If it's worth double what you paid in this market you are sitting on a gold mine. Sounds like if you wait to sell it could pay for your kids colleges. Think about the big picture. And a marriage with an unhappy wife is no fun at all.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    I would be boxing up the goods right now.

But seriously, I always make a big list, either mental or on paper, of the pros and cons. Sounds like your "pro moving" list may have the most weight.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    what makes the school district "bad. real bad"?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg