Options

Ed's screaming during Soldier Field 95.. Corduroy..

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited August 2008 in The Porch
omg how bad was that lol..
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 596
    Oh ya... I've heard a couple performances of Corduroy from '95 and Eddie didn't sound good on either of them. I've noticed that his voice wasn't as good on the '95-'96 shows, judging from live recordings.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    Oh ya... I've heard a couple performances of Corduroy from '95 and Eddie didn't sound good on either of them. I've noticed that his voice wasn't as good on the '95-'96 shows, judging from live recordings.
    yeah, he sounds like a 13 year old boy who's balls had not yet dropped.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    yeah, he sounds like a 13 year old boy who's balls had not yet dropped.

I don't know about that. He sounded like a man w/ the biggest voice on earth in 95.

96' NC tour I thought he sounded great.
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    95 sounded like he was almost grinding down his voice on purpose. At Soldier Field, it just seemed like he was trying to have his voice completely fill the stadium. I love the Release from that show though.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    I've heard that right around 1995 he had some sort of throat infection/medical issue...if this is true, then it explains his singing during that period.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    His voice in 95' was awesome.

Especially on the heavier material like "Blood" and "Not For You". He just had this really cool growl back then.

He's a better overall singer these days. But he had alot intensity in his voice back then which aided the more angrier material.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    It's too bad his voice was shot on the 95 tour. Some o those shows should be even more legendary than they are.

Blood from San Jose would be the all time greatest version bar none if Ed's voice held up.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    His voice in 95' was awesome.

Especially on the heavier material like "Blood" and "Not For You". He just had this really cool growl back then.

He's a better overall singer these days. But he had alot intensity in his voice back then which aided the more angrier material.

I disagree. I think 95 is easily his weakest vocal tour. When he sang it sounded ok, if he tried to go for any crazy notes or tried to growl/scream it all fell apart.
  • Options
    I can't even listen to soldier field because of his voice..
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    The P.T. wrote:
    Absolutely disagree.

For the current sound of rock at the time, and the development of Pearl Jam and Ed's sound at the time... He was absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, he sings much better now than he did then, but 94/95/96 Ed was incredible.

I don't want to sound like a snob, but I don't see how anyone who went through that period of time can deny that he was on a different level at that time. Pearl Jam concerts still have great energy and still rock today, but I'm sorry, they don't have the energy they once did. Or I'd be willing to say the energy has grown and evolved much like Ed's voice did.

Just don't say it sounded bad!

Not disagreeing with you, but most of that energy was because of their fame and insane GA shows. Ed is probably more energetic now than 95 and 96. It's just that we are older.....
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    Absolutely disagree.

For the current sound of rock at the time, and the development of Pearl Jam and Ed's sound at the time... He was absolutely amazing. Don't get me wrong, he sings much better now than he did then, but 94/95/96 Ed was incredible.

Ed's voice in 94 was completely different than summer/fall 95.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 715
    Some of you have to realize all of the factors of his vocal peformance:
    1: Audio sounds different from all angles, ex:
    -hearing it live vs. an old unmixed recording
    -acoustics of a venue
    -technology improvements/changes of last 10-20 years
    -the difference in sound for the musicians on stage, opposed to the sound you hear in the audience
    2: maybe Ed was sick around this time.
    3: maybe Ed was trying to figure out a new style of singing.

these are all factors which vary for every show, which you should consider before you make a statement saying ed sounded like shit in 95 based on You Tube video's or shitty boot's
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    -acoustics of a venue
    -the difference in sound for the musicians on stage, opposed to the sound you hear in the audience

these are all factors which vary for every show, which you should consider before you make a statement saying ed sounded like shit in 95 based on You Tube video's or shitty boot's

I am basing my statements on having heard a good dozen shows from that tour on disc, and havng seen video bootlegs as well as youtube clips.

Something clearly changed w/ his voice after Vitalogy was released. It's not as pronounced during the Australian Spring tour, but once the July shows kicked off he was really struggling to sing/scream some of the more aggressive songs. It's painfully obvious and I think it would be next to impossible to argue otherwise. Sure, there are some great 95 shows, but his voice issues really hurt them overall I find. Whether or not his vocal issues ruin shows for you personally, that's your preference. I just find a lot of 95 stuff hard to listen to because of his strained voice.

You can tell he tried to change his voice a little bit in 96.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    What I dont understand is how was his voice terrible during 95, yet in 98 and 00 his voice was fucking perfect. In 98 especially, he sang all of the older songs amazingly. Not to mention every single version of DTE was absolutely demonic.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    -acoustics of a venue

Um, The old unmixed recording confirms the struggle of Ed's voice during that show. Being in attendance, it was the subject of conversation upon leaving the stadium. Still, one of the best versions of Blood. Listen to Everyday People and tell me you feel that is was a good day for his chords.

BTW, the most incredible experience for any show I have been to, even with his strained voice.
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Um, The old unmixed recording confirms the struggle of Ed's voice during that show. Being in attendance, it was the subject of conversation upon leaving the stadium. Still, one of the best versions of Blood. Listen to Everyday People and tell me you feel that is was a good day for his chords.

BTW, the most incredible experience for any show I have been to, even with his strained voice.

this has nothing to do with the thread but your username is fucking awesome!

go wolfpack!

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    this has nothing to do with the thread but your username is fucking awesome!

go wolfpack!

thank you...lol...secretly, when the band was named mookie, rumor has it stone really wanted it to be nevitt.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    Eddies vocal was truly amazing in 1994.

Most of 95 he had problems, you can tell. His voice was not in good form.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i like all of the variations of eddie that we have seen, but in my mind, he was the BEST during the 2000 tour.
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I think Ed was great in 95. Just listen to the brutal scream towards the end of "Last exit" from Soldier field. That one is a killer!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)