The importance of online communities like this

duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I used to post here a lot, and waste many many hours (the good kind of waste obviously) posting and chatting. Unfortunately a friend decided to look on the forum for what I got up to, fairly innocently, and then discussed things I'd said or commented on. That's when it hit me how important online communities are: I genuinely felt like they'd violated a part of my life by doing that.

It may sound stupid, but places like this really do act as a sanctuary where you can interact, discuss, vent or laugh with a comfortable level of anonymity (or at least a level which you control). Having someone question it and criticise felt like this had been taken away and it stopped me posting on here for a couple of years.

This week though, my girlfriend and me got discussing online forums and what significance they have. She is active on a knitting forum, and was telling me how she was genuinely moved by the level of support given to a young girl who was watching her new husband die in a hospice. This girl used the forum as a place to open up and, in turn, be given support by hundreds of people she didn't know but still considered friends.

THAT is what I mean with this post. These can be a crutch for some, an outlet for others, or a place to seek peace and support for a few.

Anyway, this post is an appreciative "I've missed you, I'm glad to be back, and stay classy"
Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :D

it's a place to waste time adn chit chat with like minded people...well, mostly like minded peopel
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    and misbehave and get warned, and also get angry with each other on the moving train forum :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I agree, it is a great place. I have been a member of U2.com for a long time and have met some great friends there, including my girlfriend. Unfortunately the U2 forum is not what it used to be, but most have migrated over to facebook. Its a great way to hang out with friends, meet people from all over the world, without leaving your sofa.
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    exactly, it is great.

im still not keen on the new forum layout (i say new but i suppose its old now), and i dont know any of the names around here anymore, but i'm still keen on the place :)
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    One of the things I like about this particular forum is that it's a group of people who are brought together by the love of a specific band. So you get all ages, male and female, rich, not so rich, different jobs/educations, people from all over the world, etc. So, for example, if you go to A Moving Train you get all kinds of different opinions on issues. It's not like we're posting on the Fox News site or the I Love Keith Olbermann site.

And I'm always amazed at how funny people are on here. Not to mention supportive - the Doggie Thread, for example.

I agree - "stay classy."
  • I come here for a weekly spanking.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    I have to say how right you are about this place being a sanctuary, Everyone here has had to read about my going through my Mother's death, the death of both of my wolf-dogs, getting kicked out of my house and having to live in a van with my cat, the same van catching on fire while driving down the road.. so yes it is a place to safely get things out, knowing that it is an unbiased place to allow things to come out.. I believe that's necessary.. anyhow, welcome back!! And I may not always be classy, but I try.. that counts right?
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I just realized, it's fun when it's not classy too - some of the weird threads that get shut down with too many penis references. Or Brenda Dickson vageen jokes.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I come here for a weekly spanking.

:lol: :think: :shifty: :wink::D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    I have to say how right you are about this place being a sanctuary, Everyone here has had to read about my going through my Mother's death, the death of both of my wolf-dogs, getting kicked out of my house and having to live in a van with my cat, the same van catching on fire while driving down the road.. so yes it is a place to safely get things out, knowing that it is an unbiased place to allow things to come out.. I believe that's necessary.. anyhow, welcome back!! And I may not always be classy, but I try.. that counts right?
    trying is what counts :)

hope things are going ok for you now!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i dont like this forum...i dont come here often..i dont understand the reason why people post here..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    i dont like this forum...i dont come here often..i dont understand the reason why people post here..

You have told us that 37585 times Dimi :lol:
    stargirl69 wrote:

thats rumors :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • electronblueelectronblue Posts: 3,460
    this place rocks!!!!

and YAY i finally got another post out!
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

stargirl69 wrote:

thats rumors :lol:

37587 I'm onto you boy! :lol:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Ugh-- I would hate people making comments about my comments here (as boring as they are!!) ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,973
    Lizard wrote:
    Ugh-- I would hate people making comments about my comments here (as boring as they are!!) ;)
    I know right? YOU and I BOTH know how boring you are. There's no need to have that pointed out by others , now is there? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    To Mickeyrat: raspberry.gif
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,973
    Lizard wrote:
    :o :shock: :P
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Lizard wrote:
    :lol:
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Lizard wrote:

He's cute!!! I'm going to steal him!
    :mrgreen:
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    love this community.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    An amazing place,I have a few wonderful funny generous friends here.It's the only community I am on,I have tried others but their just not the same,who needs them when the best is right here. :D
  • PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    mfc2006 wrote:
    love this community.