“We have season tickets to the Clippers”.

PapPap Posts: 28,802
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    why would anyone waste a dime on that team?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PapPap Posts: 28,802
    81 wrote:
    In a city that is obsessed with the Lakers, it’s telling that both Dulli and Lanegan choose to place their allegiance behind the perennially woebegone Los Angeles Clippers. Eschewing Los Angeles’ glamour squad in favor of the city’s workingman’s team seems to reflect their own lives outside of the pop mainstream.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    Pap wrote:
    81 wrote:
    In a city that is obsessed with the Lakers, it’s telling that both Dulli and Lanegan choose to place their allegiance behind the perennially woebegone Los Angeles Clippers. Eschewing Los Angeles’ glamour squad in favor of the city’s workingman’s team seems to reflect their own lives outside of the pop mainstream.

you can spin it anyway you want, but to waste money on a team that is owned by their owner....no thanks. i want a team that will at least try to win.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I thought the title was the punchline to a joke. I guess the punchline is a joke in itself...
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    Move the Clippers to Las Vegas, damnit!
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,587
    i'd totally be a clipper fan if i was from LA

:lol:
    www.myspace.com

liar
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:

liar

well he is from philly so he's used to rooting for losers

:|

:lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

liar

well he is from philly so he's used to rooting for losers

:|

:lol::lol:

good one norm. :lol:

i'm serious though. i'd be a big time clipper fan :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

can i ask why?
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I think it's admirable. There are so many band wagoners these days. Call them what you will, trophy chasers, champion chasers, etc. Whoever wins the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, NBA Finals, or whatever, suddenly have fans coming out of their asses. Pick a team, and stand by them through the good times and the bad.

Here in Texas the Rangers have never been a great club. But they had a good season last year and made it to the World Series, only to catch a San Francisco style beat down. Then everybody was a Rangers fan, even people who never went to a game in their life. Before this season started they said they had sold more tickets before opening day than they had sold by the halfway mark of the previous season.

Just look at the Packers, they have some real fans. Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960, through the years when Randy Wright and Don Majkowski were leading the team right into the shitter. They turn out to see them when they suck, not just when they're good. I understand that the Toronto Maple Leafs have had similar loyalty, they sold out every game from '46-'99 and '02-present.

One of these days, although probably not soon, the Clippers are going to have a good year. Because as they say, even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days. And everybody is going to cling to those plucky little underdog Clippers, but these guys can say they stood by the team when they were awful. They didn't just show up at the celebration like so many people.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    I think it's admirable. There are so many band wagoners these days. Call them what you will, trophy chasers, champion chasers, etc. Whoever wins the Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, NBA Finals, or whatever, suddenly have fans coming out of their asses. Pick a team, and stand by them through the good times and the bad.

Here in Texas the Rangers have never been a great club. But they had a good season last year and made it to the World Series, only to catch a San Francisco style beat down. Then everybody was a Rangers fan, even people who never went to a game in their life. Before this season started they said they had sold more tickets before opening day than they had sold by the halfway mark of the previous season.

Just look at the Packers, they have some real fans. Lambeau Field has been sold out since 1960, through the years when Randy Wright and Don Majkowski were leading the team right into the shitter. They turn out to see them when they suck, not just when they're good. I understand that the Toronto Maple Leafs have had similar loyalty, they sold out every game from '46-'99 and '02-present.

One of these days, although probably not soon, the Clippers are going to have a good year. Because as they say, even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days. And everybody is going to cling to those plucky little underdog Clippers, but these guys can say they stood by the team when they were awful. They didn't just show up at the celebration like so many people.
    I get what you are saying, but at some point you have to say enough is enough. I can't support a team that doesnt try to win.

Want a good example of this...look at the pirates. They have a ton of fans that have quit on them because they dont even try. They will come out of the wood work when the team finally starts to care. Until then i cant blame a single on of their fans for not supporting them in lean times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    81 wrote:

I get what you are saying, but at some point you have to say enough is enough. I can't support a team that doesnt try to win.

Want a good example of this...look at the pirates. They have a ton of fans that have quit on them because they dont even try. They will come out of the wood work when the team finally starts to care. Until then i cant blame a single on of their fans for not supporting them in lean times.

I can see that, but I think if you are going to be a "fan" you stick it out. Maybe not spend your hard earned money on a team that is dogging it, but still support them. Don't go wearing Red Sox colors or whatever, then when the Pirates pull their heads out of their asses throw back on the black and yellow then join in the victory parade like somebody that's been sticking it out all along.

I can't blame people for losing enthusiasm for a team that shows no heart, it is the people who transfer that enthusiasm to whoever happens to be winning that I find kind of lame. Personally I like the fans (Detroit Lions fans come to mind) that still show up to games, but have some sort of sign-age calling for the firing of a GM, coach, or whoever. They're obnoxious, but solutions oriented at least.

And if during the lean times everybody just stops attending, you might see your team up and move. So while I might not pay to see the Clippers, I wouldn't rag on these guys for showing some enthusiasm for them, even if they do suck. And if you do support your team when they suck, it just makes the eventual return to form all the more satisfying. Look at those "Long suffering Red Sox fans" when they finally won the World Series, they were rightfully happy. The only thing I thought was lame were the guys, like a certain guy I knew, who had never even been to Boston, with brand new Red Sox gear lamenting on how it had been 86 years. And prior to the World Series that year he was a Marlins "fan", who coincidentally won the previous World Series. I didn't know him the year before, but I imagine he was an Angels fan, then Diamonbacks, and so on.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    I get what you are saying, and i mostly agree. I just cant believe there are actually people willing to support the clippers and what they stand for.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    norm wrote:

can i ask why?

i'm a big donald sterling fan.
    www.myspace.com