Scott Weiland Reveals He Was Raped in New Memoir

Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.spinner.com/2011/05/18/scott ... pe-memoir/

While many rock memoirs revel in the author's debauchery, Scott Weiland's new book, 'Not Dead & Not for Sale,' features a harrowing story from the singer's childhood. As Spin reports, the often-troubled Stone Temple Pilots frontman revealed that he was raped when he was 12 years old.

In the excerpt, Weiland recounts that the rapist was a "big muscular guy, a high school senior... [who] rode the bus with me every day to school ... [He] invited me to his house. The dude raped me. It was quick, not pleasant. I was too scared to tell anyone. 'Tell anyone,' he warned, 'and you'll never have another friend in this school. I'll ruin your f---in' reputation.'"

The incident was so painful that Weiland admits he didn't confront it until recently.
"This is a memory I suppressed until only a few years ago when, in rehab, it came flooding back," he writes. "Therapy will do that to you."
MSG II 5/21/10
Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
*formerly manutd3581
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,797
    That's fucked up, I hope he can figure it out.

Sugar ray Leonard was also abused too. Is it me or are these type of things more common now? Lotta celebs are opening up

Hope it can help regular people dealing with this
  • PJ-PhysicsPJ-Physics Posts: 112
    Weird...I would think that a person who themselves was raped would be personally conflicted writing a song about rape (Sex Type Thing)...especially considering the song comes from the rapists vantage point. Maybe that is the power of the human mind to repress emotions...
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    PJ-Physics wrote:
    Weird...I would think that a person who themselves was raped would be personally conflicted writing a song about rape (Sex Type Thing)...especially considering the song comes from the rapists vantage point. Maybe that is the power of the human mind to repress emotions...

Negative experiences have a way of bubbling up from the darkness until they get recognized. Sounds like he was trying to explain it to himself then, but didn't realize it until now.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • PilateOfTheStormPilateOfTheStorm Posts: 4,319
    what a tragic and awful thing. I hope that he was able to deal with these memories coming back, and that he feels stronger after confronting them and revealing them. Very brave of him to do so.

PJ-Physics wrote:

After finding out about this, the song makes a lot more sense. Even though it is from the rapist's point of view, I never saw it as one that sides with the rapist or anything. Trying to pick apart the mentality of a rapist, isn't it?

It maybe could have been his way of dealing with what happened subconsciously? I agree with ShimmyMommy - so true about the negative experiences. Especially when you've had to supress them, out of fear, shame, embarrassment, whatever the reason. Harder to recognise as time passes on. Later you realise just how bad it was.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Kind of reminds me of Jonathon Davis' (korn) situation too, that happened to him when he was 8, told his parents and they didn't believe him.
    what a tragic and awful thing. I hope that he was able to deal with these memories coming back, and that he feels stronger after confronting them and revealing them. Very brave of him to do so.

PJ-Physics wrote:

After finding out about this, the song makes a lot more sense. Even though it is from the rapist's point of view, I never saw it as one that sides with the rapist or anything. Trying to pick apart the mentality of a rapist, isn't it?

It maybe could have been his way of dealing with what happened subconsciously? I agree with ShimmyMommy - so true about the negative experiences. Especially when you've had to supress them, out of fear, shame, embarrassment, whatever the reason. Harder to recognise as time passes on. Later you realise just how bad it was.

You are right, electricxlovex. It is a brave thing to do. He will now know he has the strength to overcome it, just because he acknowledges it. He will even be stronger for it. He has to comprehend the difference between shame and guilt, and then his part in it.

Shame = I am a mistake.
    Guilt = I made a mistake.
    His part = A victim, who was made to feel shame from being so innocent to let it happen to him. In order to release the victim from himself, he has to realize that although it was done to him, he did not cause it, therefore he is not guilty. He did take the first step...like I always say, the healing comes with the telling.

Love and light to you on your journey, Scott Weiland.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156869

someone started a thread after this one...
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156869

before
    I miss igotid88
    edited May 2011
    igotid88 wrote:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=156869

before

I am just gonna quit now... :lol::lol::lol:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    :o :( That is so sad! Poor guy, how dare someone violate another person like that, piece of shit. Sorry but that really upsets me. Lets hope by Scott telling his story, it's gives someone else who has also gone through this the courage to tell someone. Good for you Scott.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014