anybody here ever get a dwi?

13»

Comments

• KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    As far as the job thing goes. I did get a job about 6 years after my DUI that gave me a company vehicle. There's nothing you can do about a future job right now. If you can afford to keep your record clean, it would be better but that's up to you and your financial position. Again, good luck, I hope for the best for you. It sucks being in your shoes right now, but it will get better.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,848
    The job thing is what frightens me a little. I'm pretty safe and steady right now, but always in the back of my mind always thought I might find a teaching job in 10 years or so.

If my record shows a misdemeanor obstruction of highway charge in 2011, do you think that would screw my chances of getting a teaching job at some undetermined point in the future?
    It wont help, and you will be worrying about it for the rest of your life, because you will never know if it will hit on a background search. Simply put, they have you in a pickle, and its a science. They know exactly how hard to hit you without wasting the money on a trial. And no matter what the attorney tells you, going to trial risks a conviction. Judges don't like drunk drivers.

Either way you take a chance. You could always say you had a flat tire and got a ticket because there was no shoulder or some BS.

Good luck and get a second opinion from another lawyer-preferably one that has recently worked in the DA's office.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Thanks for sharing everyone. If nothing else, just knowing others have been in the same boat and come out the other side OK makes me feel better.

Like I said, I'm not a *total* idiot. I wasn't driving around blitzed out of my gourd. Just apparently had one too many and got caught.

Not gonna happen again. Ever.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Jason P wrote:
    Consult a lawyer. I wouldn't trust my legal outcomes to a bunch of Pearl Jam fans like me ... oh, wait ... Catch-22 :shock:

Ha ...

Well, as you can see from my post, I've consulted a lawyer (two, actually) who has laid out my options for me. I'm not really sure what to choose. I'm not really looking for advice here, per se ... just wondering if anybody else has been through something similar.

Maybe the question I have for the forum is this: If I have a conviction for misdemeanor highway obstruction on my life forever, how does that affect me? What is the practical application in day-to-day life?

If it is basically meaningless, then it seems the cheaper option is the way to go, even if it creates a record for me.

Well from what i hear you can forget about getting into Canada. So if you planned on going to the tour in Canada then scratch it for good. But i heard you can petition the Canucks in the future. Other than that i dunno dude.
    My butt itches!
    Off the subject, but ...

NBA, MLB and NHL teams cross into Canada to play games all the time. You can't tell me nobody on any of those teams has a criminal record.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Off the subject, but ...

NBA, MLB and NHL teams cross into Canada to play games all the time. You can't tell me nobody on any of those teams has a criminal record.
    The more money you have, the less laws apply
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Off the subject, but ...

Pro athletes are carted around on charter busses when they are visiting a city for a game, so the chances of them driving drunk are very rare.

They are also in town for "business" purposes, so they are accomodated more then the average tourist.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    People...if your coming to Ontario for the PJ Tour...you will have your licence suspended for a short time...car towed and impounded ($200/day) and a fine if you blow between .05 and .08, and over .08 is a DWI. In Ontario it is best to take cab/public transit if drinking. Just trying to be helpful. Ontario has really cracked down.

All this without being proven in court.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,587
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Off the subject, but ...

Pro athletes are carted around on charter busses when they are visiting a city for a game, so the chances of them driving drunk are very rare..

are we talking about the same profession that seems to have someone get one of these seemingly every week? :o :shock:

seriously i believe baseball alone has had multiple dui's just since the beginning of the year...
    www.myspace.com
    At my company, it is mandatory for employees to meet with a substance abuse counselor after being arrested for DWI.

Had my one-hour session today. The counselor told me, very nicely, that I was wasting her time and probably shouldn't come back. God bless her.

Apparently, I am not a drunk. Good to know.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    party0005.gif
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    lukin2006 wrote:
    People...if your coming to Ontario for the PJ Tour...you will have your licence suspended for a short time...car towed and impounded ($200/day) and a fine if you blow between .05 and .08, and over .08 is a DWI. In Ontario it is best to take cab/public transit if drinking. Just trying to be helpful. Ontario has really cracked down.

canadians are prickly when it comes to motor laws.

i was up there with my motorcycle years ago. some douce stole my helmet. i filed a police report and headed back to the bridge (windsor) to head home. driving thru downtown a few people yelled at me when i was sitting at a stop light. about a mile later i was pulled over. before hitting the bridge, i hit the mcdonalds at the bottom of the bridge for a quick bite...as i'm leaving to head onto the bridge somebody in a car yells at me.

drove down I75 back to ohio and not a single person waved or cop tried to pull me over, even tho MI had a helmet law.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

canadians are prickly when it comes to motor laws.

i was up there with my motorcycle years ago. some douce stole my helmet. i filed a police report and headed back to the bridge (windsor) to head home. driving thru downtown a few people yelled at me when i was sitting at a stop light. about a mile later i was pulled over. before hitting the bridge, i hit the mcdonalds at the bottom of the bridge for a quick bite...as i'm leaving to head onto the bridge somebody in a car yells at me.

drove down I75 back to ohio and not a single person waved or cop tried to pull me over, even tho MI had a helmet law.

Prickly, or maybe they were concerned about your well being!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Off the subject, but ...

Pro athletes are carted around on charter busses when they are visiting a city for a game, so the chances of them driving drunk are very rare..

are we talking about the same profession that seems to have someone get one of these seemingly every week? :o :shock:

seriously i believe baseball alone has had multiple dui's just since the beginning of the year...

I am referring to players who are on road trips with their teams.......there is less chance of them driving.